• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TOP 10 all time favorite

SylvB

I think you have to have grown up on the east coast to appreciate plain pizza...(it is the only place where people eat it....elsewhere in the country there will be that one person who will order a plain pie and everyone will look at them like "??????$&^%&*^*(???")

What's amusing is how when I say this people here will respond "so you prefer Chicago-style deep dish?" Actually, no. It's just that those of us not from the east coast are used to these things called "toppings"

bagels (I don't get the point)

pizza (what is the point of plain pizza?)

hot dogs (Chicago-style is better)

Get out of this forum. Right now!

ROFL niiice.

Pizza, dirty water dogs, dominican style cubanos and bagels. All 4 things I crave and have been unable to find since moving to the Atlanta area.

-Mike & Andrea

Bahn Mih

pastrami

steak

best French in the country

NY things I don't like:

bagels (I don't get the point)

pizza (what is the point of plain pizza?)

hot dogs (Chicago-style is better)

Not commenting on the Chicago Hot Dog comment, :biggrin: I was wondering where you get Bahn Mi from.. I like that place Vietnam Bahn Mi So 1 or something like that.. I use to go out of my way to pass that place in the mornings on my way to The Jerz.. I had one the other day off of Smith St in Brooklyn on Bergen I think.. It was ok. But the bread down on Broome is just the best..

Edited by Daniel (log)

"Not surprising. Have you had their pizza? "

try the housemade sausage pizza at Zaffiro's...a dive bar on the east side of Milwaukee (a city that I lived in for 4 years)

I've never had its equal in NY

of course, if you were stupid enough to order a "plain pizza" (known as "cheese pizza" outside of the east coast) you would only get what you deserve....

I think many complaints about non-NY pizza stem from people asininely ordering plain pies.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Things I've always missed when I was elsewhere:

- thin crust pizza

- genuinely good takeout Chinese

- sushi

- Nathan's hot dogs, eaten either before or after a ride on the Cyclone

- fruit carts

- an everything bagel with a schmear (and none of that fruit bagel crap)

- that you can get everything you can possibly imagine to go.

good Cubanos in NY but I lived in Miami...where they are better.

(of course, NY has better Cuban food than Miami in general (because it's less authentic....authentic Cuban is very bland)

You think so? I wouldnt call it bland, I would say its just not spicy.. But I do find it seasoned..My girl is Cuban and we dont really like too many Cuban places in NY. I would love a couple of good places .. We will go to Alvarez in Elizabeth if we are headed south on the weekends. Great Cuban Sandwiches and on actual Cuban Bread..

http://alvarezcafe.com/

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel,

I really dislike "authentic" Cuban....and I lived in Miami for 2 years. I've eaten all over Little Havana, Hialeah, Aventura....

Sandwiches and roast pork are all that I found flavorful.

the places in NY seem to be more "fusiony" which improves them imho.

better cubanos in Miami though