• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster dishes

MiFi

I am the fortunate recipient of six Atlantic Canada lobsters given to me a few days ago while in Cape Breton, which I have cooked and shelled a have grown tired of eating lobster rolls. I need to use this succulent meat and am soliciting suggestions. I'm kind of wanting to put together a souffle or gratin. Anyone??

This is my absolute favorite way to serve cooked lobster meat. Just made it for a tailgate on Sunday and everyone loves it.

For each pound of cooked lobster,

Chop the lobster meat into one inch pieces (or smaller, whatever you like) and place into a casserole dish.

Crush one sleeve of Ritz crackers ( I sometimes add in a little panko or royal lunch crackers too).

Add half a stick of melted butter, some chopped parsley, salt and pepper, mix and sprinkle over the lobster.

Chop the other half of the butter into small pieces and dot over the top.

Sprinkle with a tablespoon of sherry if desired (I do this half the time, depending on who is coming over).

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, until warmed through and nicely browned on top.

Serve with lemon.

It's the best lazy lobster casserole I've ever had....

:) Pam

Edited by pam claughton (log)

I like lobster meat in Asparagus or Pea Soup..But you wont use much of it.. You can do a lobster mac and cheese, but I am not a huge fan of that.. However, the shells make an awesome stock that goes into the mac and cheese.. You can do lobster ravioli.. Or maybe a lobster mash potato.

When you say you are making lobster rolls are you doing a mayo base or just cooked in butter.. I think a buttered hot lobster roll are fantastic..

A lobster cocktail is great just served cold..

Make a lobster seviche. Lobster meat, lime juice, red onion, garlic, avocado, bell pepper, cilantro, olive oil, salt and pepper. You could eat this as is, or serve with mixed greens or tostados.

BTW-Ienvy your problem and would love to have too much lobster (is there such a thing?

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

here's another suggestion, from Lydia Shire's Locke ober restaurant in Boston. I've made this and it's divine. The key is having the shells soak in the milk/cream overnight. This is much thinner than a bisque, but is wonderful and full of flavor.

http://www.drewvogel.com/Publish/Jfk_s_Lob..._Stew_12213.htm

You should join up with JohnJohn and his massive amount of Neal's Yard Stilton and make the salad I mentioned which is a variation on one we make in the restaurant. Very simple but so delicioucs - lobster in chunks with rocket, a firm lettuce like cos (we use escarole in ours), some pea shoots, some roquefort cheese broken into chunks, walnuts, some walnut oil and vinagrete (we use a light basil one). I was dubious when chef put it together but it works so well, the creamy tangy blue chees with the sweet firm lobster works so well.

I havae to say I wish I got problems like you getting all those lobsters!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

• 4 months later...

I typically love lobster with just butter and some lemon but in the mood for something different and interesting.

Have a ton of lobster tails to cook, any quick ideas for me to whip up?

My husband does not like risotto (sigh, I know) so that is out.

Well, at home we've never gotten past a good baked stuffed lobster or lobster rolls, but I have a fantasy of someday making lobster and scrambled eggs after reading some wonderful descriptions of the dish. There is a nice description in Jamison and Jamison's A Real American Breakfast.

Here's a recipe online that looks similar although I'm not sure I'd add the red bell peppers or not. click I picture some wonderful toasted brioche or other bread alongside.

I'd also make some lobster stock and lobster butter from the shells.

I also have great memories of an Italian-American dish I've had in some North End restaurants in Boston: Lobster Fra Diavolo.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Even though this is well after the poster asked for ideas, let me add this dish from San Francisco chef Joyce Goldstein written for the Wine Section of the San Francisco Chronicle; Friday, December 8, 2006.

San Francisco Chronicle - Roast Lobster with Champagne, Lemon and Tarragon Butter

The dish is meant for celebratory occasions, ideally to be accompanied by Tete de Cuvee Champagnes.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher