• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My dining experience in London

Last wednesday I found out I had to fly to London for a meeting over this past Columbus Day weekend. I was traveling with my boss who isn't much into food as I am but he left many of the restaurant choices up to me knowing that I enjoy a good meal. Being short notice, I had no way to make any reservations (or do any research) beforehand and just relied on the concierge and book at the concierge to guide me.

We went to the following places.

Saturday Lunch The Dehli Brasserie in Soho.

Saturday Dinner L'Oranger

Sunday lunch (I went Patara on my own as I was walking around london).

Sunday Dinner The Wolseley

All were memorable. I really thought the food and atmosphere at L'Oranger was top notch.

Having been in thailand before and have had great thai food, I thought that Patara was one of the best thai meals that I ever had. And while I was there alone, it seemed very comfortable.

I took extensive pictures of the meals at L'Oranger and Patara.

The Delhi Brasserie:

I had Chicken Peri Peri which the menu said was a variation of Madras. I really enjoyed this meal for getting good indian food. While it is probably not the best, we were told to walk through soho to find a place for lunch. Having just arrived after getting off the plane and had to work after lunch, we couldn't do a lot of research.

The Wolseley:

On our client's recommendation we went to the Wolseley for dinner sunday night. It was packed. They have an ante room that is for walkins. The tables are like coffee tables but they were able to seat us right away and we were able to get anything off the menu..... sort of. Apparently, they had a very busy weekend. So they were out of half the items on the menu. (Including the wiener schnitzel I wanted). So I went with a steak. The food is really good and well prepared. I ordered dessert (a chocolate fondant) and was told that it would take 15 minutes. After 15 mintues, I was told that it fell and it would be another 10 minutes. I ordered a banana split. (It tasted like packaged ice cream.)

L'Oranger

This was fine dining in London. The food / service was all excellent. They recommended a great glass of wine to go with my meal.

Appetizer Scallops with duck proscuitto and truffle mouse

gallery_33499_3720_8075.jpg

Main Course Steak Rossini (I would like to see how this was prepared as I started eating the top part and loved it only to find out it was Froie Gras (which I normally don't like).

gallery_33499_3720_429086.jpg

Dessert Creme Brule

gallery_33499_3720_3071.jpg

Dessert Chocolate mousse

gallery_33499_3720_135434.jpg

Petit Fours

gallery_33499_3720_318033.jpg

Patara

I had been walking all over london. After walking for hours and heading down regent street, I was so tired that I was just looking for a place to relax and rest. I looked down Maddox street and saw patara. I walked there looked at the menu and decided to just try it since I was so tired. It turned out to be the best decision I made in london! I loved the food. Spicy, interesting, well presented and great and friendly service. I didn't buy much in london but I did leave with their cookbook!

Restaurant

gallery_33499_3720_49906.jpg

Appetizer thai beef salad

gallery_33499_3720_485406.jpg

Main course ground chicken with ginger and basil ?

gallery_33499_3720_747525.jpg

gallery_33499_3720_1136195.jpg

Dessert Crepe with tropical fruit

gallery_33499_3720_953019.jpg

Jeff

Interesting post Jeff - nice to see what someone who is from another country and therefore not exposed to the media views on these restaurants as much as we are, and also who is not frequenting them and therefore maybe not as moved by certain places any more due in part to familiarity with them. GLad you had a good experience - I would be interested to hear how much you spent at L'Oranger, as I tend to blow the budget (largely on wine) when I am there!

Best,

David

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Hi David,

They had a nice wine list. I just ordered a glass of wine to go along with dinner. With that note, the bill (I think as my boss picked up the bill and reviewed it) came close to 150 GBP. I had a la carte and my boss had the 3 course price fixe menu.

for no research you managed to choose pretty well. always consider oranger (along with aubergine - note the ex-ramsay theme!) one of the more underrated of central london haute. Patara ditto for thai - never been in the London but the Singapore branch is very well regarded. And the wolesey is just a lovely establishment

glad you enjoyed it

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Main Course  Steak Rossini  (I would like to see how this was prepared as I started eating the top part and loved it only to find out it was Froie Gras (which I normally don't like).

Sounds like a fun trip, thanks for sharing. I've got to ask though - what did you think "Steak Rossini" was going to be, if not Fillet & Foie Gras?