• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City Openings

moosnsqrl

Um, do you mean Thursday, the 16th?  Or Friday, the 17th?

:laugh::laugh: I left the invite at home so ethier I'm an idiot or it's a typo......

Man! U.E. busts balls on all the details :raz::raz:

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

:laugh::laugh: I left the invite at home so ethier I'm an idiot or it's a typo......

I've got $5 on the first choice. :biggrin:

In every other setting I can think of, I wield the fastest "red pen" and then I get called-out for the tiniest error or omission. With UE around, I can enjoy the festivities without fear of retribution. :wub:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I've got $5 on the first choice. :biggrin:

In every other setting I can think of, I wield the fastest "red pen" and then I get called-out for the tiniest error or omission. With UE around, I can enjoy the festivities without fear of retribution. :wub:

Damn! Am I developing a reputation around here, or what? :laugh: Judy, I don't bite, you know. :raz:

BTW, ChefCAG, I like the way you described my "round-up" of the details... :laugh:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

UE, I'll bring the red pen tonight so you can mark up the menu.

FYI all, Katie's right, Plaza III is now open in the Leawood location, with a giant banner touting Sunday brunch from 9 am to 3 pm (an interesting jab at the Nick and Jake's brunch business). Also, David Loo's (formerly of Sushi House) Kaiyo Restaurant, 4308 W. 119th St., Leawood has been open since....early July?

And for those of you who need to have the restaurant experience at home but don't want to pay for Alinea styled pieces, Crate and Barrel is now open at 119th and Roe and is selling teeny whiteware dishes for those chic single-serving courses. 6 for $7.50. Chair and ottoman to swan about on after gorging yourself, $299 and $199 respectively.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

FYI all, Katie's right, Plaza III is now open in the Leawood location, with a giant banner touting Sunday brunch from 9 am to 3 pm (an interesting jab at the Nick and Jake's brunch business).  Also, David Loo's (formerly of Sushi House) Kaiyo Restaurant, 4308 W. 119th St., Leawood has been open since....early July? 

And for those of you who need to have the restaurant experience at home but don't want to pay for Alinea styled pieces, Crate and Barrel is now open at 119th and Roe and is selling teeny whiteware dishes for those chic single-serving courses. 6 for $7.50. 

I keep telling myself I'm only going there to look at prospective holiday gifts... for OTHER people... to give away... yeah, that's it.

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

FYI all, Katie's right, Plaza III is now open in the Leawood location, with a giant banner touting Sunday brunch from 9 am to 3 pm (an interesting jab at the Nick and Jake's brunch business).  Also, David Loo's (formerly of Sushi House) Kaiyo Restaurant, 4308 W. 119th St., Leawood has been open since....early July? 

And for those of you who need to have the restaurant experience at home but don't want to pay for Alinea styled pieces, Crate and Barrel is now open at 119th and Roe and is selling teeny whiteware dishes for those chic single-serving courses. 6 for $7.50. 

I keep telling myself I'm only going there to look at prospective holiday gifts... for OTHER people... to give away... yeah, that's it.

is this like all the stuff that i just bought at Sur la Tabla is intended as gifts for friends, lets hope so, otherwise, I have to start rebuying for them.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

So, it's name is Green Acres Market. For those in Wichita, you'll be familiar with this environmentally conscious grocer - looks like a miniature Whole Foods.

Would tell you more, but there's not more to tell. They had about 3/4 of the stocked - but nothing was priced. I joked with a frustrated and confused old lady that everything must be free. But, that wasn't the case. You'll pay about 50% more than the same product at a chain grocer. But, you can get your Voss water and your millet puffs all in one place.

Ups: they will have Campo Lindo whole chickens (no more treks up to Lathrop!!), and even have a specialty Artisan Baker for for fresh breads.

I'll have to go back get some more info. More later.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

So, it's name is Green Acres Market.  For those in Wichita, you'll be familiar with this environmentally conscious grocer - looks like a miniature Whole Foods. 

Would tell you more, but there's not more to tell.  They had about 3/4 of the stocked - but nothing was priced.  I joked with a frustrated and confused old lady that everything must be free.  But, that wasn't the case.  You'll pay about 50% more than the same product at a chain grocer.  But, you can get your Voss water and your millet puffs all in one place.

Ups: they will have Campo Lindo whole chickens (no more treks up to Lathrop!!), and even have a specialty Artisan Baker for for fresh breads. 

I'll have to go back get some more info.  More later.

That's funny, UE, I thought they opened last week so I stopped by there on Thursday. I peered through the window and thought to myself that they didn't look like a store that was opening in about 36 hours.

I shopped at GA in Wichita while caring for my mother a decade ago. It was, at that time, a cut above anything else in that city. I don't recall thinking it was that much pricier than a regular grocery but money was way down on my list of concerns at the time.

I did notice a Tree of Life truck leaving as I arrived. They're out of TX and one of the higher-cost providers in the natural food arena but I always found them to have really primo produce so I will remain hopeful that is still the case.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

That's funny, UE, I thought they opened last week so I stopped by there on Thursday.

Somehow I got the same thing into my head, and went up there Friday. Closed doors... had to console myself with an eclair from the Pastry Goddess, oh darn.

Place sure looks pretty, but it's still a glorified strip mall.

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

I heard the couple at 40 Sardines parted ways, she bought him out. The hearsay is he going to be taking over a restaurant near the plaza that houses an Italian restaurant now. The Italian restaurant might be moving some place else or just pack up once their lease is up this year. I'm so excited to see Kansas City get a James Beard award winner near the plaza. :biggrin:

I heard the couple at 40 Sardines parted ways, she bought him out. The hearsay is he going to be taking over a restaurant near the plaza that houses an Italian restaurant now. The Italian restaurant might be moving some place else or just pack up once their lease is up this year. I'm so excited to see Kansas City get a James Beard award winner near the plaza. :biggrin:

Yep. That exclusive hot tip was formalized by its appearance in Hearne Christopher's colum.

M.F.K. Fisher

Yep. That exclusive hot tip was formalized by its appearance in Hearne Christopher's colum.

I was befuddling how my lunch companion was in the know today. You just caught me behindhand. I guess if I'm going to take part in food forums with such experts I better start reading the newspaper. :huh:

I was befuddling how my lunch companion was in the know today. You just caught me behindhand. I guess if I'm going to take part in food forums with such experts I better start reading the newspaper. :huh:

couldn't hurt, I guess.

M.F.K. Fisher

couldn't hurt, I guess.

Isn't this the time to plug your "Media Roundup", Judy?

All the news that's fit to print.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77453

Isn't this the time to plug your "Media Roundup", Judy?

All the news that's fit to print.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77453

Yes, it's time I got back to business, bbqboy. All the news that's fit to print and some that is iffy, at best. :rolleyes:

M.F.K. Fisher

So, it's name is Green Acres Market.  For those in Wichita, you'll be familiar with this environmentally conscious grocer - looks like a miniature Whole Foods. 

Would tell you more, but there's not more to tell.  They had about 3/4 of the stocked - but nothing was priced.  I joked with a frustrated and confused old lady that everything must be free.  But, that wasn't the case.  You'll pay about 50% more than the same product at a chain grocer.  But, you can get your Voss water and your millet puffs all in one place.

I'll have to go back get some more info.  More later.

I again found myself in the northland yesterday, so I stopped by GA. I have decided to stay away until their grand opening, Dec 2, to give them a fair chance to get up and running. I will say that I've always thought it was a mistake to race to open the doors only to let customers in so you can disappoint them and this reaffirmed that belief. It is a nice space and the people are very friendly and helpful, so I am going to leave them alone to get their ducks in a row and try again.

On another note, though, I intended to drive around behind the row of retail they're in and forgot. The reason being that on the two occasions I've been there, the parking lot has been nearly impossible to navigate for delivery vehicles. Is it possible they've designed high-end retail space with no loading docks or delivery doors? Maybe it's just not completed yet but I'm amazed that the toney image they're shooting for is being so obviously thwarted by front-doors propped open and hand trucks rolling across their new carpeting. Surely it's temporary.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 11 months later...

Have we really been so lazy as to let this thread lie dormant for nearly a year?

Well, here are just some (off the top of my head) that have opened since last November (2006):

Michael Smith

Pizza Bella

Justus Drugstore, A Restaurant

Krause's (re-opened after a brief close-down/re-zoning at 910 Delaware in Lawrence, Kansas)

Seven (the link is currently broken, hopefully it will be fixed shortly)

Kansas City Cafe

Em Chamas

Room 39, Mission Farms

One Bite

I'm sure I'm missing half a dozen, but at least this is a start.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'd like to add the Noodle Shop, at 59th and Holmes,

Scotty's on 39th, located at (surprise) 39th and Terrace Street, in the old Macaluso's spot, and

Spitfire Grill, on West 39th Street between Bell and State Line.

News from the Northlands: That shopping strip that's popped up at the junction of Highway 9 and 64th Street used to house some kind of a shrimp and crab shack (it's tucked away on the southern face of the mall)... it closed mysteriously a few months ago, but there's a new banner indicating that a bar-b-que joint is going in...

... also, in that same shopping district (if one can call it that) River Rock Cafe, which used to be in Parkville, has replaced what once was Higher Grounds. I wonder what happened to the owner of Higher Grounds - he seemed to be somewhat of a vet in the food industry (imported from the South, as I recall).

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

News from the Northlands:  That shopping strip that's popped up at the junction of Highway 9 and 64th Street used to house some kind of a shrimp and crab shack (it's tucked away on the southern face of the mall)... it closed mysteriously a few months ago, but there's a new banner indicating that a bar-b-que joint is going in... 

Strange...just the other day I was thinking that space would be good for a BBQ joint (at least I think it would go over better than the pricey, sub-par seafood restaurant). I wonder if the folks down the sidewalk at Backyard Bash (BBQ supply shop) have anything to do with it. I've noticed that they do a ton of cooking for Parkville events and even host some of their own. I'll have to investigate, they are super nice people and that would be a cool way to keep the space "in the family".

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

News from the Northlands:  That shopping strip that's popped up at the junction of Highway 9 and 64th Street used to house some kind of a shrimp and crab shack (it's tucked away on the southern face of the mall)... it closed mysteriously a few months ago, but there's a new banner indicating that a bar-b-que joint is going in... 

Strange...just the other day I was thinking that space would be good for a BBQ joint (at least I think it would go over better than the pricey, sub-par seafood restaurant). I wonder if the folks down the sidewalk at Backyard Bash (BBQ supply shop) have anything to do with it. I've noticed that they do a ton of cooking for Parkville events and even host some of their own. I'll have to investigate, they are super nice people and that would be a cool way to keep the space "in the family".

Did you ever get a chance to eat in that seafood concept? I never did stop in...

... and now that you mention it, I think you're right: if I'm not mistaken, the sign did say something like Backyard Bash BBQ... so maybe they are opening up a food outlet.

In other news, the Power & Light District restaurants are opening one by one starting with McFadden's Sports Saloon tomorrow night. Next Friday, November 16, Vinino a second venture for Chef Christopher Paternotte, who's home, until now, has been in the kitchen at Vin in Baltimore.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Did you ever get a chance to eat in that seafood concept?  I never did stop in...

... and now that you mention it, I think you're right: if I'm not mistaken, the sign did say something like Backyard Bash BBQ... so maybe they are opening up a food outlet.

I never did eat there, but some friends tried it as well as my parents. I generally trust my folks 100% when it comes to their seafood reviews, and they were really disappointed in the quality as well as the price point for what you were served. I picked up a copy of their menu at one point, and the selection was pretty standard in that "blackened, battered & fried or steamed" kind of way. I'm guessing that having Bonefish right down the street didn't help...higher quality (from what I've heard) chain food in a nicer atmosphere for almost the same price. Plus all that faux-cobblestone flavor that is The Tuileries....

If the Backyard Bash folks are backing the new BBQ place I'd be surprised if it doesn't do very well...I don't know if they have their own bbq team or sponsor one, but they always come across as true BBQ people who know their stuff. Plus, the only other BBQ place in the area (across from The National, can't remember the name) closed down in the past year or so.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 2 months later...
Did you ever get a chance to eat in that seafood concept?  I never did stop in...

If the Backyard Bash folks are backing the new BBQ place I'd be surprised if it doesn't do very well...I don't know if they have their own bbq team or sponsor one, but they always come across as true BBQ people who know their stuff. Plus, the only other BBQ place in the area (across from The National, can't remember the name) closed down in the past year or so.

It actually turned out to be a Brodie's BBQ - the same (local?) chain that has an outlet along 169 near Smithfville. Anyone been yet?

I know that McFadden's and Vinino are opened in the Power & Light District - any others?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 4 months later...
Twist has now opened, replacing Sarah's, Eat Drink Art at 1815 Grand Boulvard in downtown. Apparently, it was taken over by the majority investor in Sarah's, Lana Todd.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm wondering if anyone knows what's happening in the former Scotty's/Macaluso's space. I saw new signage in the front window Monday (Bella I think??) and they looked very close to being open (table clothes on tables). Any word on who is involved or what the concept is?

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point