• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Need Suggestions

Deldino

Hi!

We have about 9 people going to the arts and crafts show in Brookdale Park this Sunday. We then want to go somewhere for lunch for a birthday celebration. We would like casual but not a burger joint. Something nice.

Thank you so much for any help you can give!

Options nearby (all in Montclair unless noted, but all close to Brookdale Park):

Joe Bartoni's Italian Market has parking on the street or in a small lot behind the place, and you can get some great sandwiches/paninis/soup (which you may need on Saturday!) and sit at the tables in the back--cute spot, nice people, YUMMY food. I'm always surprised there isn't more discussion of this place on eG.

151 Valley Road

Raymond's on Church Street will have something for everyone, but you'll likely have a wait (almost always)--worth a call to see if they'd take a reservation for a group that size if you give them 20-30 mins notice, imo. BYO.

28 Church St

Indigo Smoke for Q would be good with a big group. Indigo Smoke web site Assuming you can BYO, if you're so inclined.

381 Bloomfield Ave

Amazing Hot Dog (waaaaaaaaaaaaaay casual) in Verona AHD web site

Nauna's Bella Casa is right across the street from Joe Bartoni's, in the Quick Check strip mall, with a full parking lot. Classic red-sauce/pizza place, but I like their pizza and they have everything from salads to wraps to full entrees. And they're BYO. Nauna's web site

148 Valley Rd

Egan's Pub has good burgers, fish 'n chips and a full menu of other things that don't always work, but the full bar does! :wink:

118 Walnut Street

Cianci can be hit or miss depending on how you order (I think Raymond's is far better overall), but it would certainly fit the bill...salads, healthy/light sandwiches, smoothies.

15 Church St

I'd suggest you check the hours for lunch at all of these if you're not going right at lunchtime. Oh, and parking is an issue 'downtown', but there is now a big parking deck right behind Church Street (follow the signs), so don't get discouraged by the few spots right on Church. There are also a few municipal lots and signs directing you to them; none are very far from the places I've mentioned.

Hope those help!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Options nearby (all in Montclair unless noted, but all close to Brookdale Park):

Joe Bartoni's Italian Market has parking on the street or in a small lot behind the place, and you can get some great sandwiches/paninis/soup (which you may need on Saturday!) and sit at the tables in the back--cute spot, nice people, YUMMY food.  I'm always surprised there isn't more discussion of this place on eG.

151 Valley Road

Raymond's on Church Street will have something for everyone, but you'll likely have a wait (almost always)--worth a call to see if they'd take a reservation for a group that size if you give them 20-30 mins notice, imo.  BYO.

28 Church St

Indigo Smoke for Q would be good with a big group. Indigo Smoke web site  Assuming you can BYO, if you're so inclined.

381 Bloomfield Ave

Amazing Hot Dog (waaaaaaaaaaaaaay casual) in Verona AHD web site

Nauna's Bella Casa is right across the street from Joe Bartoni's, in the Quick Check strip mall, with a full parking lot.  Classic red-sauce/pizza place, but I like their pizza and they have everything from salads to wraps to full entrees.  And they're BYO.  Nauna's web site

148 Valley Rd

Egan's Pub has good burgers, fish 'n chips and a full menu of other things that don't always work, but the full bar does!  :wink: 

118 Walnut Street

Cianci can be hit or miss depending on how you order (I think Raymond's is far better overall), but it would certainly fit the bill...salads, healthy/light sandwiches, smoothies.

15 Church St

I'd suggest you check the hours for lunch at all of these if you're not going right at lunchtime.  Oh, and parking is an issue 'downtown', but there is now a big parking deck right behind Church Street (follow the signs), so don't get discouraged by the few spots right on Church.  There are also a few municipal lots and signs directing you to them; none are very far from the places I've mentioned.

Hope those help!

Thanks Curlz - your suggestions are great!

Franklin Steakhouse, Nutley. Great steak sandwiches, much more reasonable to deal with for lunch too, as they tend to be extremely busy and loud for dinner, especially on weekends.

Edited by RockADS21 (log)

A.D.S.

Also in Nutley is Petite Cafe, which is a cute spot...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Wish I'd seen this sooner, must have overlooked it.

Where did you end up?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Wish I'd seen this sooner, must have overlooked it.

Where did you end up?

After all the looking in Montclair we ended up at a cafe called New Leaf in the Cloister at Fort Tryon in New York. One of the people in our party lives near there and she wanted us to come there.

I have relatives in Montclair so I will be back - I want to try Osteria Giotto- I saw this when I was looking for places, it looks nice.

Thanks again