• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fine Chocolate (Kansas City)

u.e., a suggestion,  go out and pick up those chocolates from all those different places and have a chocolate tasting to see which one you prefer.  You might surprise yourself.  Don't forget to invite the rest of us to the fun.  Just remember that most chocolates don't get shipped in the heat of summer.  So with the holidays coming up, you will probably find fresher newer bars.  Have you checked with Williams Sonoma to see what they are carrying now?

'Aaron, welcome to the fun.

joiei.

As you suggested, I went down to The Better Cheddar and re-perused the chocolate sections. Here's a non-exhaustive (but pretty darn close) inventory list:

Bars

Scharffen Berger: about six different percentages. They had both big and small bars.

Valrona: They had large bulk for baking as well as the bars - maybe about six different percentages.

Vosges Haut Chocolat: Maybe 5 or 6 different bars - including one of my favorite, the Red Fire. But, they were selling them for $7.49. I know Katrina Markoff sells them for $6 at her store in Chicago and Whole Foods carries it for the same price (I think). I know it isn't that much of a difference, but it's the principle.

El Rey: Maybe 3 or 4 different bars of different percentages.

Santander: 2, maybe 3 bars of different percentages.

Caley's "Marching": This was a British bar that I'd never encountered before. It was amazingly cheap at $3.04. (Don't ask me why the odd change figures). 60%

Feodores: A Spanish bar that I'd never encountered before. I think it was 60%

Plantations: 1 bar, and I didn't catch what percentage it was. I've had a few of these bars before, and they're okay... the last time I had one, I know they were going through some management changes and the darker chocolates tended on the burnt-tasting end.

Lake Champlain: Ubiquitous and also sold en masse at Whole Foods. I think TBC had about 3 or 4 of these demi-bars.

Chocolat Bonnat: A French company - 6 bars - all single plantation 75%.

Truffles/Bon Bons: They had quite a selection of fruit/liquor filled chocolate truffles - even an overpriced box of 9 Rabitos chocolate-covered figs. They also had the usual suspects like Fran's chocolate candies - like the "Gray Sea Salt" caramels at an unreasonably high $13/7 candies. Bessinger chocolates were $10 for 5 in a box.

joiei is quite right. I can't bemoan a bad selection if I haven't tried all of the offerings. So, among all the bars and candies (i.d.'ed above), I singled out the brands I hadn't tried and decided on one to buy. That narrowed the field to three bars: Caley's "Marching," Feodores and Chocolat Bonnat.

Mind you, I strongly prefer DARK chocolate. Thankfully, all three were dark, but I went with the darkest bars - the Chocolat Bonnat. Of course, they would be among the most expensive bars at TBC. $8.99 for a 100 gram bar.

There were six bars: Trinite, Puerto Cabello, Equateur, Madagascar, Ceylan and Hacienda El Rosario. The company makes two others: Chuao, and Cote D'Ivoire.

Here's what the back of the label says:

The Grand Crus of Cocoa: are selected by Stephane Bonnat, Maitre-Chocolatier of Voiron (France).  All the cocoas used to make these unique samplers arrived at the Bonnat's in Voiron in the form of unroasted beans from the best cocao plantations in the world.  They were transformed into marvelous a chocolate that you are about to taste.

Then the label describes each of the 8 single estates. I was most intrigued by the Chuao, which was described as: "From Venezuala reigning country of great cocoas, undedniably Nr. 1 in quality. The king of kings of cocoas with a powerful and warm flavor." Of course, TBC didn't carry this one. Of the six they did carry, I automatically nixed the Madagascar, Equator and Trinite, as I tend to shy away from the fruitier, banana-y, or "sunshine" (as described by Bonnat) flavors. I prefer darker, deeper and more earthy chocolates - leaving the Venezuelan Bonnats.

So, I decided on the Hacienda el Rosario. It's described as: "Suberb Venezuelan cocoa, with plenty of delicate perfumes, while powerful and sensible, it will designate the connoisseurs from the amateurs." Well, now if that's not throwing the gauntlet! :raz:

I've gotta take a picture of it before I eat it, so I'll report later on whether or not I've found something worth $8.99 and for enduring the painfully snobby and clueless service at TBC.*

When I asked one of the staff members about their chocolates, specifically the Bonnat, he said that he was very familiar with them, in a not-so confident way. When I asked him what he thought about the Hacienda el Rosario, he said that I he wouldn't recommend it because it was rose-flavored. I asked him what made him think it had a rose-infusion. He pointed out that the label clearly said (Hacienda el) "Rosario." As a dear acquaintence (from this site) once aptly put it, "I didn't just fall off the turnip truck." Well, I almost did (just fall off the turnip truck) out of shock. I don't know why, but I ventured to ask which Bonnats, since he had tried them all, he liked best. He hedged, then pointing seemingly randomly - he liked the Equateur and the Trinite. When asked what he liked about them, he said they were the "most chocolate-y-tasting." That was all he could give me. :hmmm:

I paid for the bar and left.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'm still a newbie here, but there's a place called Mid America Gourmet on 90th Street in OP that carries a good variety of chocolate. They are very nice there (did I mention it smells INCREDIBLE in there?!!!). I have a price list somewhere if anyone would like to know about something specific. HTH!

I'm still a newbie here, but there's a place called Mid America Gourmet on 90th Street in OP that carries a good variety of chocolate. They are very nice there (did I mention it smells INCREDIBLE in there?!!!). I have a price list somewhere if anyone would like to know about something specific. HTH!

Hi golfgirl! Welcome to the eGullet Heartland, USA!!

I've never heard of Mid-America Gourmet, but le snob in me is fearful of your comment "it smells INCREDIBLE in there" - as yummy chocolate-y-smelling chocolate stores usually smell that way because of vanillin, a flavor additive. However, if Mid-America Gourmet smells wonderful for other reasons, ohhh, say, cinnamon buns and fresh-out-of-the oven bread, then that's a whole other story...

I did want to report back on my chocolate quest and taking up joiei's suggestion posted above. I have to admit that my report on the bar of Chocolat Bonnat "Hacidenda el Rosaria" will have to wait... I've been distracted by two other chocolates that I found at Whole Foods.

WF's selection is a bit better than I remember. I found a couple of different labels that intrigued me. I picked up two bars from the same company - Dolfin. It's a Belgian chocolatier. They make a number of different bars. I couldn't decide between the Chocolat Noir à la Cannelle de Ceylan or the Chocolat Noir 88% Cacao, so I picked them both up. (You can see their full line here... although WF only carries a few of them).

The Cannelle was such a surprise. It is dark, but at a depressingly 52%. However, the grainy bits of cinnamon really intensifies the flavor and the deep dark spiciness of it that it tones down the sugar. The cinnamon is very aggressive, so if you're not a fan of the spice, I would recommend you stay away.

The 88% was also wonderful - in a more familiar dark chocolate way - more familiar and approachable. It's very dark - not burnt - rich and mysterious. It hints of coffee and is a touch earthy. I really enjoyed this one.

I look forward to comparing the Chocolat Bonnart bar - which, at $8.99, cost more than the Dolfin combined.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I had forgotten thet Mid-America Gourmet has a retail store. I can tell you that most fine dining restaurants in Kansas City buy most of their pastry supplies from Mid-America. They carry bulk chocolate for sure (callebaut, guillard and valrhona for sure), nuts, vanilla (extract and beans), nuts, sheet gelatin, nut pastes, fondant. The other thing they carry that may be of interest (although off topic) is high quality frozen boiron fruit purees, perfect for things like ice creams and sorbets.

dave

• Like 1

Mid America Gourmet is great. One of the most accomadating businesses around. We buy lots of product from them. Those fruit purees are great! I also like chocolate pistoles, much easier than chopping 11lb. blocks. They have very fresh toasted and peeled hazelnuts. I had forgotten about their retail store. I does smell good. The retail shop has very high quaility, professional quality chocolate.

• Like 1

Thank dog I don't have a chocolate habit. I am appreciating the zeal involved in this quest, but happy not to have any 'skin in the game' and able to go to bed without visions of semi-sweet chocolat dancing in my head!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Thank dog I don't have a chocolate habit.  I am appreciating the zeal involved in this quest, but  happy not to have any 'skin in the game' and able to go to bed without visions of semi-sweet chocolat dancing in my head!

I assure you, it's my only (sweet) vice. [Edited to add: And, I don't even like the sweet kinds... bitter and dark]

... Okay, ice creams too, but thats it!! :wink:

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

It's not looking like I'll have time to get to Lawrence this weekend, but Mid-America Gourmet looks a lot more possible - only 10 miles from grandma's house! Here's the contact info I found online:

11500 W 90th St, Overland Park, KS 66214-1710 (913) 541-2021

Living in a place where I can't even find chicken sausage that doesn't come in a pork casing (Champaign-Urbana, IL), I'm excited about visiting a real "gourmet" shop!

Edited by annarborfoodie (log)

For les bon bons, I go to Christopher Elbow (see here)... any others?  I know Andre's Confisserie makes some (see here), which are gorgeous but chalked full of vanillin, preservatives and other additives.  Dean & Deluca's have a case of chocolates from NYC, and some of them are okay (see here).

Here's the more challenging question: where to get good eating chocolate - like bars and such.  I've been yearning for a good bar with nibs.  The Better Cheddar has probably the best selection I've seen - but they're way over-priced and besides the usual suspects - Valrhona, El Ray, Scharffenberger and two Vosges Haute Chocolate bars that I like (Red Fire and the Oaxacan), their selection is pretty spotty.  Whole Foods, surprisingly, and depressingly, is worse.  Shcharffenberger and Valrhona are as good as they get.  I know D&D's probably has some, but I never (for some reason) found them/bothered to look.  Oh, and I know, surprisingly, World Market has some - again, Valrhona and Scharffenberger and the ubiquitous(ly sugary and creamy) Lindt. 

I'm looking for a "specialty" chocolate store - or one that carries a full(er) and more novel "varietals."  I wonder if Christopher Elbow's new store will carry any....?  Any others?

An organization called Les Dames d'Escoffier International just ended their yearly conference, which was held in Kansas City. One of our tours was named the Heartland Artisan Tour. We stopped at Christoper Elbow chocolates. The crew was in full production, so they could not stall the process to educate us as to their gameplan. I suspect this may have been intentional, as no one in a small artisan craft profession should really be parting with any secrets, especially to others in the same profession! None of us were going to be wowed by any upstart chocolate maker, but I think that we were. I bought the most beautiful collection of any hand made chocolate assortment I have seen. I was not sure I even wanted to eat them. I brought them home to my staff, all of whom have culinary educations, not sure if their taste would measure up. We all agreed that these are the finest pieces we have ever tasted. If you are ever in Kansas City, do NOT miss this spot.

Edited by patty (log)