• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacchus, Shoreditch

Hi,

This is my first eGullet post after being a silent reader for many years. I hope you will find my comments useful as I have found yours :-)

We were a party of 7 with much anticipation on trying the tasting menu. Our booking was for 8pm but unfortunately 2 of our friends were delayed by a crazy cab driver who took them for a ride up and down the A40. By 9.15pm when everyone was ready to order we were told it was not possible to have the tasting menu. Very dissapointed :-( When the booking was made we informed the restaurant that we wanted the tasting menu. I wished the waiter told us when the cut off time was.

A friend tried the bloody mary with a twist. We asked what the twist was and the waiter said it was a secret. It came with a wilted spring onion? hanging over the glass?

The best starter was the langoustine, best main the squab and best dessert warm chocolate cake.

3 people ordered the steak - one was perfect and pink, the other less pink and the final one was medium-well done. How did that happen?

The portions of the mains were huge. Quite a few flavours going on.

The truffle potato puree was heaven !!!

We requested for the 65oC egg, absolutely delicious!

Oh yes, there was something special and addictive about the butter. It tasted like cheese-butter ??? we loved it!

This is my first eGullet post after being a silent reader for many years. I hope you will find my comments useful as I have found yours :-)

Hullo T

Welcome to eGullet!

Shame about the tasting menu (though to be honest it does GO... ON.... FOR... HOURS so you probably saved yourself fifty quid on a cab home afterwards :raz: )

If you want to go again (which you do) mug Pip the owner - he posts on here and wld have read your comments

ta

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Pip, if I come on March 17, will you give me a special St Patrick's Day Avventura tasting menu?

(off to make my booking on your wonderful website)

Absolutely! Last week we did a mid-course of 'salmon and guiness ice cream' - went down a storm!

And john what do you mean go on for hours? I mean really, i'm offended, we simply want you to enjoy yourself for as long as possible...nothing wrong with that is there?? :blink::smile:

Hi to Trucie too - glad you had a good time at Bacchus - i love hearing peoples thoughts on the dishes you'd be amazed if you knew how far opinions varied. There are one or two on this very board who think we are trying to re-incarnate the devil with the egg dish yet you (and most others) loved it. The squab dish is dividing people too but its about 75/25 in favour and the review in the independent last week raved about it so its staying for now!

For those that havent seen it yet the full dish is

Sesame crusted squab, cured foie gras, berries, milk skin

Did you have the soup? Thats a new one on the a la carte thats really really good:

Artichoke and honey-wine soup, pine nut ravioli, eringe, yogurt

Regarding the tasting menu i havent spoken to anyone front of house about it but i suspect it was more to do with the numbers in the restaurant rather than the time of night. We do a sitting at 9.30pm so the kitchen would have struggled to get 7 tasting menus out at the same time as the other tables booked in around that time. Anyway, sorry you didnt get chance to try it - let me know next time you plan to come and visit

Ok, back to the grind stone :biggrin:

<a href='http://www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk' target='_blank'>www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk</a>

Pip, if I come on March 17, will you give me a special St Patrick's Day Avventura tasting menu?

(off to make my booking on your wonderful website)

Absolutely! Last week we did a mid-course of 'salmon and guiness ice cream' - went down a storm!

Now I'm a little scared! Salmon and guinness ice cream does sound good, though... Limit of one st patrick's day tribute allowed. (and only because now I count as an ex-pat *shudder*) I want the rest of your normal fabulousness please.

And john what do you mean go on for hours?  I mean really, i'm offended, we simply want you to enjoy yourself for as long as possible...nothing wrong with that is there??  :blink:    :smile:

Depend if you need to catch the last tube home mate... :raz:

Fair point mate - maybe we need a Bacchus bus......? hmmmmmm

:rolleyes:

<a href='http://www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk' target='_blank'>www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk</a>

And john what do you mean go on for hours?  I mean really, i'm offended, we simply want you to enjoy yourself for as long as possible...nothing wrong with that is there??  :blink:    :smile:

Depend if you need to catch the last tube home mate... :raz:

Fair point mate - maybe we need a Bacchus bus......? hmmmmmm

:rolleyes:

wot like lolas on ice? but instead dispensing beetroot espuma and chicken skin? :cool:

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

hi,

just got back from having the aventura menu, my first time for that menu but had had the regular tasting menu many times before. only new dish for me was the squid which I thought was fantastic and worked really well with the chapel down wine.

only thing i would have changed would be fresh tea rather than teabags, a simple change that i think says quite a lot.

and different bins in the toilet would be better but i'm nitpicking now.

Edited by gnoos (log)

• 1 month later...

I already hated the words gastropub and molucular gastronomy as they were by themselves but put together?

Went for Dinner

here is my concise report of the tasting menu.

Sardine,rhubarb puree,citrus,rosmary-sake spray

The dish didnt make sense at all, raw (at least they tasted like it!!)fatty sardines on a tangy rhubarb puree. And whats the idea with an atomiser if you use something like sake that will evaporate and not give any smell or flavour i only got the rosmary you might aswell use pure alchohol more effective.

Pork jowl, black radish,langoustine, leek puree

thats better, I love pork jowl and it was cooked nicely sous vide and it merries well with langos. The leek pure lacked freshness and was a bit old to long in the fridge?. Mangostines? not sure about the spelling that one was a nice sweet explosion in the mouth.The Dish certainly waked up my taste buddies.

Egg 65 degrees dashi ,chicken skin

served in a glass came the famous egg credited H. This, anno 1998 Very nice w the Umami rich Dashi and a lovely crispy skin of chicken . very good!

Salmon Belly (uhm belly?), black olives, date and hazelnut puree, pate de brique.

cooked sous vide to 40- 42 i would say the salmon is a very challanging chap and it needs something to brake the fattiness and richness but the hazelnut,date and cinnamon smelling pate de brique made us just wondering if we already started on the desserts. not a very exiting dish.

Lamb shoulder figs brulee (burned w a blowtorch is now a'la brule),hijiki paste,hot coffee

Some people would probably be offended for being served a cheap cut like the shoulder on a tasting meny but i like it, why not it was served w hijiki paste (a mushroom ) and a hot siphon coffee foam it all worked very well and I felt like ive already had dessert and coffee intensional?

Black olive financier, roasted pear ice cream , pine nuts

a lovely combination. black olives and almonds a marriage made in heaven the pear ice crream w burnt pieces in it was really a hit so to speak caramelized pine nuts on the side really helped aswell definatly the best dish of the evening. I like when chefs put good focus on the desserts.

The bubblebath we had as a predrink was really nice but maybe you could wish for some more choice when it comes to wines but

Overall a bit like a rollercoaster ride but dont get me wrong a fun one.

Mag

Interesting, Magnus.

My husband and I had the Avventura menu and drinks pairing on Saturday night, I'll be back to post about it soon. Work getting in the way of thinking about food, which is disturbing...

In short: Amazing experience, great place (husband adored the laid-back feel), perfect service, so much to think about in terms of the food. We did, however, roll out of there, and the couple of comments that we would have would be just in relation to that.

I'm still smiling at the thought of it. That should say something!

Have you come accross a sweet red wine from Italy - Moscato Rosa, Franz Haas, Alto Adige. It is available from Liberty Wines. It is the most perfect match I have come accross for chocolate desserts - smells of rose petals and tastes like a decadent muscat. Your choclate pudding on your latest menu made me think of it.

beepop

Another sweet red wine from Liberty and also a good match with chocolate pudding is Bodega Castano Monastrall (sp) Dulce. However, I think a Maury or Banyuls are also worth considering.

Having just discussed Bacchus with my mate who lives very nearby in Old Street, I thought I'd have a look at the website.

Home page now has an option for Flash/HTML :smile:

I checked out the HTML version on both the browsers on my P900 phone, load great (especially in Opera, dead quick even over GPRS link) :smile:

All the info/links at the top of the page. :smile:

C'mon, all those (including me) who bitched 'bout the site a while back, credit is due I think. Well done.

Now if you can just have a word with Vodafone to sort out their appalling .net service, I'll be really happy :wacko:

I

Just to add my 2p's worth; had the tasting menu here last night and was impressed. Not all of it worked for me (Sardines overpowered everything else on the plate), but when it did work (as in the egg/chicken, and the Salmon/date), it was really good. Nice to see someone else pushing at the food/taste combinations a bit more. Staff V friendly and service was spot on.

The only problem with these kind of meals is that the unorthodox blending of flavours and the cerebral analysis of each dish makes for a terrible nights sleep afterwards!

Lee

Hello everyone!

We celebrated our first 6 months open yesterday - i cant believe how quick its gone.

Reading back through these posts I probably owe quite a few of you a thank you for helping us 'polish' up on a lot of the things in the restaurant from menus to websites (although i'm still keeping chicken skin John!)

Anyway I thought i'd give you an update on all things Bacchus:

-- We started opening Monday to Friday for lunch. We offer 2 courses and coffee for £20 from the regular a la carte menu

-- We've completed our first ever video tutorial on the website which is how to make one of the starters from our menu:

Langoustine, Catalan mix, garlic foam and citrus

Its hardly BBC budget but we thought it was a fun idea and people might be interested in it so we gave it a go. We're planning to film something every 4-6 weeks and sometimes it will be a recipe, sometimes it might be a technical piece on a gadget like the water baths or pacojets. Requests are most welcome!

-- After giving the website comments some thought i realised i might have been a bit stubborn about it so we designed a HTML site to go with the flash version. Sorry if i got on my high horse a bit :unsure:

-- We also put proper pictures of the dishes on the website

-- Menu is still the same prices, all mains less than £20, desserts less than £10 and wines starting at £20 (although we added quite a few to the list at the higher end of the scale due to demand).

All in all a really good first 6 months and we are looking forward to the next 6. Thanks again to everyone who has helped us and supported us so far

Phil

Fantastic news on the anniversary Phil - and great video - guess what I am doing over Easter!! Can't wait for the next installments - oh, and I must post about my meal last week - you really looked after me and the mrs, thanks for that!

There is certainly plenty for us all to look forwards to over the coming years!

Best,

David

Edited by ravelda (log)

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I've a flying visit to London planned for the first bank holiday weekend in May and I think a trip to Bacchus might be in order. I've read so much about it here I feel like I know the place! Is there a special eGullet handshake or codeword I should use on arrival?

Si

Yay!  Go!

Okay! I will then!

Just booked it, so next on my agenda is persuading everyone in my party of 6 to go for the taster menu. I won't hold my breath for that. At the very least, it will mean a return visit will definitely be required.

Can't wait.

Si

Menu has changed for Spring/Summer. We've been open 6 months and have started to really find our feet so i think this menu has started to allow us to be a bit more adventurous without going too far.

Its interesting how more people come to the restaurant when its raining than when its sunny - 3 no shows last Saturday when it was lovely outside. So never ones to beaten we are currently finishing our 'alfresco' dining area at the back of the building which will be ready in 2 weeks. It seats 12 outside so it should be good for summer.

Tasting Menu - £40

Red snapper tartare, edamame, lemon, fake shark’s fin, dashi foam

--

Pork jowl, black radish, langoustine, leek puree

--

Free range egg, lardo, hon shimeji, black olives

--

Warm cod, black paella paint, tomato hearts, potatoes, garlic

--

Lamb shoulder, fragrant kappa, goat’s cheese, hazelnut powder

--

Black olive financier, roasted pear ice cream, pine nuts

A la Carte

Starters:

Paradise prawns, seared pineapple, green olive sofrito, iced coconut 12

Rabbit mousse, potato leaves, cherries, hazelnuts, sprouts 10

Skate and avocado roll, caramel, curry crumble, orange, passion fruit 12

Artichoke and honey-wine soup, pine nut ravioli, eringe, yogurt 10

Milk yuba roll, japanese mushrooms, leek puree, sprouts and flowers 7

Mains:

Warm cod, black paella paint, tomato hearts, potatoes, garlic 16

Sesame crusted squab, cured foie gras, berries, milk skin 19

Textures of Spring, herb gnocchi, almonds, sprouts and flowers 12

Seabass, black olive migas, mange tout, spring onion 17

Sirloin steak, mushroom puree, crispy bread, nashi pear, burnt onion jus 19

Side Orders:

Truffle potato puree 5

Potato puree 3.50

Japanese mushrooms 3.50

Spinach catalan 3.50

Desserts:

Coconut quindim, ginger honey foam, lemon, passionfruit 7

Warm chocolate cake, green tea, rose sorbet 8

Pannacotta sorbet, apple confit, lemongrass bubble bath, apple soup 6

Black olive financier, roasted pear ice-cream, fig puree, pine nuts 7

We are keeping the lunch offer too:

Express Lunch - 2 courses and coffee for £20

Monday - Friday 12-3pm

Oh, an al fresco area, with your lovely summery menu sounds perfect!

I'm still meaning to write up the delicious meal I had back in March! It'll have to wait until I get broadband set up at home...