• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacchus, Shoreditch

Looking good, Philip.

I'm moving to London in January, and planning some gastronomic adventures, and based on what I've read here, think I might drop in one night. As I'll be on my own during the week (husband will still be commuting between dublin and london for a while), I might just try a weekday night, dinner for one. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Now, the question is, Avventura or the regular tasting menu?

Now, the question is, Avventura or the regular tasting menu?

silly question luv :raz:

Thing is, tasting/surprise menus tend to be often tailored for more than one person at the table, doing different variations of the same ingredients... I often wonder would it be worthwhile doing this on your own, and to be honest, I've never had the chance to come out with it and ask the question of a reliable source. I do like being the food thief, you see..

Thing is, tasting/surprise menus tend to be often tailored for more than one person at the table, doing different variations of the same ingredients... I often wonder would it be worthwhile doing this on your own, and to be honest, I've never had the chance to come out with it and ask the question of a reliable source.  I do like being the food thief, you see..

Huh? ingredients don't generally repeat in tasting menu unless its a seasonal conceit (e.g. "Our Seasonal Turnip Degustation Tasting Menu"), its a truffle and you're in a posh Frenchy place (originality is all I ask) or they're serving different dishes to different diners at the same course (unusual in UK due to hassle for kitchen).

Am in answer to ur second Q, got thru three tasting menus solo in Barcelona/Girona over the weekend - no problems at all!

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Am in answer to ur second Q, got thru three tasting menus solo in Barcelona/Girona over the weekend - no problems at all!

J

Any details there Jon?

I now know where nuno gets all his ideas - both the bad ones and the good ones!!! :raz:

Cheeky sod :laugh:

Dont know what you're talking about. We clearly get them from the BBC, Tuesdays at 8.30pm... :raz:

<a href='http://www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk' target='_blank'>www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk</a>

• 2 weeks later...

Phil - your website isn't redirecting properly

cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony - we've changed provider ready for the website launch (current one is just a temporary thing) - the proper website is being launched hopefully tonight if not tomorrow.

<a href='http://www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk' target='_blank'>www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk</a>

Phil - I was in last night and everything seems to have settled down nicely since the opening weeks.

Complements to Nuno on the tasting menu which was well balanced with some innovative flavour combinations but thankfully stops short of being overly challenging. The stand out dish for me was the sous vide egg which was reminicent of the Arzak truffled poached egg and in my opinion as good if not better - the chicken skin is an inspired addition. Pork jowl and the lamb were also highlights. Wine pairings worked well.

My only comments would be that there seemed to be a slightly excessive use of rocket and a few of the dishes would have benefited from being slightly hotter when they arrived at the table. I also think the tasting menu might benefit from a second desert but then that's probably just because I'm greedy. Next time I will have to go with the Aventura menu.

As mentioned elsewhere, FoH was efficient, friendly and knowledgable. One of my party is (or at least claims to be) allergic to wheat and dairy, a fact which was obviously noted when I made the reservation and catered for without any further prompting, a minor point but it all makes a difference.

I'm back on Wednesday with some collegues for another round and very much looking forward to it.

Another good review in the Sunday Times today - soon we will all be struggling to get a reservation!

So, booked in for lunch this Friday for my annual Christmas lunch with my gourmet buddy....hoping the Avventura menu is going to be available. The rather ditzy woman taking the booking reckoned it should be ok. The only problem is I don't really do trainers.....

I'm just hoping the winelist is going to be better that the one on the website - sometimes the growers were listed sometimes not, sometimes with vintages, sometimes not....as any wine buff knows the combination of grower plus vintage is vital information. Some interesting choices on there, with not many big names - is there a fine wine list?

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

So, booked in for lunch this Friday for my annual Christmas lunch with my gourmet buddy....hoping the Avventura menu is going to be available. The rather ditzy woman taking the booking reckoned it should be ok. The only problem is I don't really do trainers.....

I'm just hoping the winelist is going to be better that the one on the website - sometimes the growers were listed sometimes not, sometimes with vintages, sometimes not....as any wine buff knows the combination of grower plus vintage is vital information. Some interesting choices on there, with not many big names - is there a fine wine list?

Dont worry Gav - I rent trainers out at the cloakroom. £10 for converse or if you want to splash out £15 for Nike Air Max... :wink:

The aventura menu is available at lunchtimes

Re wine - there is more information on the menus - i just didnt have enough space on the website so i kept it to a minimum. Its just to give a taster

Look forward to seeing you Friday lunch

So did my big christmas extravaganza at Bacchus which basically involves eating and drinking a lot in true Egullet style. Thanks to Phil, Nuno and his team for making this a fantastic experience - I have to say that I was very impressed by the operation and the food really was something special.

We had the full 9 course Aventura menu - unfortunately I didn't get a copy of the menu and the dishes were fairly complicated so I can't really do the descriptions justice.

Suffice to say that the highlights were a langoustine dish with mangosteens, avocado (I think), greek yoghurt and flowers (nasturtiums?). And an egg cooked at 60 degrees with enoki (?) mushrooms and shredded chicken. I couldn't really fault any of the dishes other than ironically the signature lamb dish which was a bit bland - everything else was exciting, innovative and just wow! I haven't been this excited about a new restaurant in London for some time and I think Phil has succeeded in his aim of casual fine dining where the focus is on the food rather than the pretension.

Service was excellent and friendly and I retract my statement about a ditzy girl answering the phone as I think this was the brilliant front of house woman whose name I didn't get. OK this isn't a smooth 3 michelin star operation but a few hiccups are allowed and expected within the overall context.

We had the wine pairing with the menu which I thought went really well, although the wine is good rather than fantastic but I gather that the aim is not too go for exclusivity with lots of trophy wines and Phil said he is working on a fine wine list for city types and sad wine geeks like me.

Coffee was excellent. Pricing was a couple of hundred for two for the full aventura experience with wine. I spent a good portion of the meal wondering when I could manage to come back....as soon as possible hopefully. Run there..... ;-)

Gav

Alright Phil, What are the opening hours?

Lunch:

Monday to Friday - 12-4pm (last orders at 2.30)

Dinner:

Monday to Saturday - 6-midnight (last orders around 10.30)

Also got the lounge opening this weekend on the first floor - three rooms for pre/post dinner drinks and a 10-seater private dining room

Phil

Thanks to Phil for sending this to me - this is the menu we had:

Scallop Sashimi, rhubarb, ginger crumbs, citrus

Baby squid, potatoes, garlic, chervil, black paella paint

Pork jowl, langoustine, leek, nashi pear

Rabbit mousse, potato leaves, cherries, hazelnuts, sprouts

Free range egg cooked at sixty fi ve degrees, dashi, chicken skin

Salmon belly, black olives, date and hazelnut puree, pate de brique

Lamb loin, vanilla parsnips, fi gs brulee, cocoa oil

Apple pannacotta, ginger bread grounds, lemongrass bubble bath, Thai basil oil

Black olive fi nancier, roasted pear ice cream, pine nuts

Gav

"Bacchus is unlike any other gastropub in Britain..."

Article in the Observer's Food Monthly: Is this the most futuristic pub in Britain

Like the picture, Phil - will you be using it as your avatar? :raz:

Dont be ridiculous Charlie - i'd be a right saddo if i did that now wouldnt i....

awww what the hell :raz: