• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle opinions and recommendations

Hi everybody I am very pleased to be a member of egullet! I'm not in the culinary industry or an expert of any sort but I AM a food fanatic! I am so happy to be back after being gone from the Seattle dining scene for several years. I have compiled a list of oldies-but-goodies (in my opinion) that I'm excited to revisit and new-to-me restaurants that I intend to knock off at a rate of about one per week. I would be happy to share my dining experiences as I go along if anyone is interested, as well as hear others' comments and experiences. I am almost exclusively a dinner person (often late-night by necessity) other than Sunday brunch. I prefer fine dining with ambiance but make exceptions for incredible food, when I often just get orders to go.

My old haunts:

El Gaucho

Palace Kitchen

Canlis

Purple Cafe

Adriatica (gone now)

Marcha (ditto)

13 Coins

Cutters Bayhouse

Cafe Lago

Cafe Flora (love vegetarian food)

Carmelita (ditto)

Araya's (ditto)

Palomino

Metropolitan Grill

Salty's (For Sunday brunch only)

Calcutta Grill (ditto)

Hirem's at the Locks (ditto and it's gone now)

Places I've eaten at several times:

Rovers

The Herbfarm

Salish Lodge Dining Room

Sky City at the Needle

The Melting Pot

Leschi Lakecafe

Palisade

Flying Fish

Columbia Tower Club Dining Room

On my new list to dine at:

Chez Shea

The Hunt Club

6-7 at the Edgewater

Assaggio Ristorante

Sazerac

1200 Bistro

Tulio

Matt's at the Market

The Brooklyn

Brasserie Margaux

Cascadia

Troiani

Queen City Grill

Crow

La Vita e Bella

Dahlia Lounge

Etta's

Lola

Campagne & Cafe Campagne

Serafina

Il Terrazzo Carmine

Georgian Room at the Fairmont

Bambuza

Boat Street Cafe

Marco's Supperclub

Monsoon

The Pink Door

Waterfront

Maximilien

Zoe

Ibiza Dinner Club

Tamarind Tree

Mistral

94 Stewart

Marjorie

Brasa

Earth & Ocean

Amber

Union

Boka

Daniel's Broiler

Veil

Union Square Grill

Dinette

Pair

Tango

The Harvest Vine

Lark

Lampreia

Il Bistro

Pomodoro Ristorante

El Portal

Red Fin

Black Bottle

Ten Mercer

Dragonfish

Le Picket

Belltown Bistro

Bal Mar (for desserts only)

Olivers (ditto)

Dilletante Cafe (ditto)

Restaurants I will be visiting outside the city:

Cafe Juanita

Third Floor Fish Cafe

Ristorante Paradiso

Mixtura

Pomegranate Bistro

Nana Carmella's

Pogacha

Bis on Main

Sostanza

Tilth

Cremant

Stumbling Goat Bistro

Le Gourmand

35th St. Bistro

Lombardi's

I am also interested in trying some "dining experiences" such as Central Cinema's dining at the movies, The Dark Dining project, Teatro Zinzanni, Spirit of WA dinner train, Dimitriou's Jazz Alley dinners, and Moroccan restaurant dining with the whole sit-on-the-floor, eat with your hands, belly dancers experience. I hear Marrakesh and Kasbah are good ones but apparently there are no hookas anymore because of the new no-smoking rules?

I'm an eastsider and only get out to dine about once a week. However I plan to hit every restaurant on the list and enjoy every minute of it! I had a lovely meal at Andaluca this week and will be dining hopefully at Le Pichet next week and definately Canlis the following week.

Please let me know if I missed any biggies on my to-do list or if you think I should eliminate any. Thanks so much!

-Jme

miss Jme

Seattle, WA

Dick's Drive-In is notably absent from your list.  Discuss.

As is Nell's. Disclaimer: I am a former investor. I was bought out.

Welcome to eGullet, miss Jme! It looks like you have a lot of work in front of you. Of course, we expect reports. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

As is Nell's. Disclaimer: I am a former investor. I was bought out.

Oh yes Nell's! I will add it to my list, thank you for the suggestion, docsconz.

Yes I do have alot of dining ahead of me, but I wouldn't have it any other way! Sure I will certainly post reports, although I am not much of a food writer.

thanks,

Jme :smile:

miss Jme

Seattle, WA

Dick's Drive-In is notably absent from your list.  Discuss.

Hee hee I know you meant this as a joke MGLloyd but I actually love Dick's fries and tartar sauce! As far as that type of food goes, I think they are great. My Dad used to eat there when he was a kid and I love the Seattle history they have. Just can't eat there that much as I am trying to keep my figure svelte.

By the way I also love the fries at 13 Coins, thick hand-cut chunks of browned potato that they serve stacked criss-crossed in a tic-tac-toe shape. I always ask for tartar sauce which they bring in an ice cold small metal gravy boat, it really hits the spot when you have a hankering for spuds. On that note, I'm excited to try the Belgian Frites up on Broadway! My brother has been craving Frites ever since he returned from Amsterdam. :smile:

miss Jme

Seattle, WA

As one of the few remaining Seattle-area natives, I would never disrespect Dick's. The Belgian Frites are also quite good, and I like the curry mayo. However, it is difficult to beat what I make at home: thick-cut waffle fries with caramelized onions and gorgonzola cheese on top. Run it under the broiler quickly to melt the gorgonzola.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Clearly, Mamster, the mandoline awaits! I find the combination of crispy potato, sweet onion and salty gorgonzola to be one of life's great pleasures, only enhanced by washing it down with a nice stout or porter.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Welcome Miss Jme! I'd put these toward the top of your list:

Matt's at the Market

Cafe Campagne

Boat Street Cafe

Monsoon

Zoe

Tamarind Tree (maybe Green Leaf instead)

Mistral

Union

Veil

The Harvest Vine

Lark

Lampreia

El Portal (Happy Hour!)

Le Pichet

And on the eastside: Szechuan Chef

Born Free, Now Expensive

Just playing my kiljoy roll here...

Of your list, you could eliminate (or at least de-prioritize) the following and not be missing much:

The Hunt Club

Assaggio Ristorante

Sazerac

The Brooklyn

Troiani

Queen City Grill

Bambuza

The Pink Door

Union Square Grill

Ten Mercer

Dragonfish (truly awful)

Dilletante

Add Green Leaf

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Looks like a great list. We have dined at the Six Seven at the Edgewater a few times for breakfast when we stayed at the hotel. The ambiance is just gorgeous and the views of Elliott Bay are panoramic and very pretty. The dining room is very contemporary with several fireplaces giving it a cozy feel at the same time.

Dahlia Lounge is very good, the Pressed Duck appetizer pleased everyone at our table. The Flying Fish in Belltown has some great Softshell Crab and the ambiance is upbeat and fun there. :smile:

As one of the few remaining Seattle-area natives, I would never disrespect Dick's.  The Belgian Frites are also quite good, and I like the curry mayo.  However, it is difficult to beat what I make at home: thick-cut waffle fries with caramelized onions and gorgonzola cheese on top.  Run it under the broiler quickly to melt the gorgonzola.

Oh that sounds wonderful MGLloyd, I will have to try that. Thanks for the tip! I love gorgonzola. The other night I had some tortellini in a creamy gorgonzola sauce with walnuts and spinach; it was excellent. :smile:

miss Jme

Seattle, WA

Welcome Miss Jme! I'd put these toward the top of your list:

Matt's at the Market

Cafe Campagne

Boat Street Cafe

Monsoon

Zoe

Tamarind Tree (maybe Green Leaf instead)

Mistral

Union

Veil

The Harvest Vine

Lark

Lampreia

El Portal (Happy Hour!)

Le Pichet

And on the eastside: Szechuan Chef

Hi malarkey thank you for the welcome! And thanks for helping me prioritize my list, that is very helpful. I am glad to hear from somebody who has been to El Portal, I don't think I've seen it mentioned on this board yet. Do you like their fare? I always give the late-night places extra consideration because I'm often dining after 11PM.

Well I'll add Green Leaf to the list as well as Szechuan Chef; thanks for those tips!

-Jme :smile:

miss Jme

Seattle, WA

Just playing my kiljoy roll here...

Of your list, you could eliminate (or at least de-prioritize) the following and not be missing much:

The Hunt Club

Assaggio Ristorante

Sazerac

The Brooklyn

Troiani

Queen City Grill

Bambuza

The Pink Door

Union Square Grill

Ten Mercer

Dragonfish (truly awful)

Dilletante

Add Green Leaf

Hi tighe thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it and will de-prioritize as suggested.

You may have noticed that a few of the restaurants on my long list were chosen more for their late night hours, ambiance, or proximity to certain venues (Benaroya Hall, The Paramount, 5th Ave. Theater, McCaw Hall, Key Arena, etc.) than for the actual quality of their cuisine, out of sheer necessity. I try to keep the bar as high as I can though.

Great, another vote for Green Leaf; I can't wait to get there!

Please share your bad experience at Dragonfish if you have time.

thanks, :smile:

Jme

miss Jme

Seattle, WA

I am glad to hear from somebody who has been to El Portal, I don't think I've seen it mentioned on this board yet.  Do you like their fare?  I always give the late-night places extra consideration because I'm often dining after 11PM. 

I've been to El Portal for drinks and appetizers a couple of times. I loved it and I really want to go back for a full meal. The guacamole was particularly good.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

What a fun list!  You might also consider adding Osteria La Spiga - they're on temporary hiatus while they prepare to move over to 12th Ave, but are re-opening in early to mid-November.

Hi Ye-Ye girl, thanks for posting to me! I will put Osteria La Spiga on the list. The review I read for it said something like "simple but well-executed rustic Italian." Sounds good to me! It's surprisingly hard to find a restaurant that gets that right.

thanks again! :smile:

Jme

miss Jme

Seattle, WA

Good list... should take you a while :)

I would add:

Paseo

Tutta Bella

La Carta de Oaxaca

La Medusa

Hi bkaplan thanks for your reply. Yes I'm sure it will take me a while! I love it though! Since I've been back I've done Purple Cafe, Andaluca and The Palace Kitchen, then this weekend Le Pichet and next week Canlis. And alot of little hole-in-the-wall places in between. (Love me some Hillside Quickies!) Sometimes I really don't know how I stay slim; I am such a damn food fanatic.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions, I have checked them out online and have added them to my list. I'm especially excited to try Paseo. I spend a few weeks a year in Belize and when I'm home I really miss the messy Caribbean-style sandwiches that are such an addictive mainstay for me while on the island. I hope Paseos is similar! It sure looks like they have a cult following judging from the online reviews. Tutta Bella looks wonderful too and the menu looks authentic to Naples. Can't wait to try!

thanks again, :smile:

-Jme

miss Jme

Seattle, WA

Looks like a great list.  We have dined at the Six Seven at the Edgewater a few times for breakfast when we stayed at the hotel.  The ambiance is just gorgeous and the views of Elliott Bay are panoramic and very pretty.  The dining room is very contemporary with several fireplaces giving it a cozy feel at the same time.

Dahlia Lounge is very good, the Pressed Duck appetizer pleased everyone at our table.  The Flying Fish in Belltown has some great Softshell Crab and the ambiance is upbeat and fun there.    :smile:

Hi Syrah, thanks for your response and for sharing your experiences. The ambiance, decor, and views sound very nice at Six Seven. The Edgewater has special meaning to me personally because my parents took their honeymoon there, back when they were young and poor and could only afford to take one weekend in-town for their honeymoon. (They are still together and in love over 40 years later!) I hope I can make nice memories there as well.

I'll be doing the Dahlia Lounge and Flying Fish soon, thank you for your recommendations! :smile:

-Jme

miss Jme

Seattle, WA

I am glad to hear from somebody who has been to El Portal, I don't think I've seen it mentioned on this board yet.  Do you like their fare?  I always give the late-night places extra consideration because I'm often dining after 11PM. 

I've been to El Portal for drinks and appetizers a couple of times. I loved it and I really want to go back for a full meal. The guacamole was particularly good.

Thanks for your feedback LEdlund. I'm glad to hear that you liked it! Their menu looks good to me. How was the ambiance and the service?

Also, was it loud, crowded/scene-y when you went? I love dining late but do not enjoy yelling over my entree.

thanks! :smile:

-Jme

miss Jme

Seattle, WA

I would also add Sitka and Spruce to your list. If you want to move Union up your list there are a few dinners coming up there you may want to get in on. On October 29th there is a Champagne dinner with Dumont, six courses with paired wines for $100, and on the next night there is a Cooks and Books diinner featuring Michel Richard for $175, the price includes dinner, wine, a copy of the book, and a chance to talk with Chef Richard.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

I've been there a couple of times, both early and late HH. Neither time was it particularly loud (except for our group :biggrin: ) and it was definitely not scene-y. The ambiance is wonderful - dark, leather banquettes, that sort of thing. The service is fantastic. IIRC, it was opened by some folks from El Gaucho.

Thanks for your feedback LEdlund. I'm glad to hear that you liked it! Their menu looks good to me. How was the ambiance and the service?

Also, was it loud, crowded/scene-y when you went? I love dining late but do not enjoy yelling over my entree.

thanks! :smile:

-Jme

Practice Random Acts of Toasting