• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas in New Orleans

daniellewiley

In lieu of presents, we are doing a family trip to New Orleans this Christmas with my in-laws. There will be eight of us, including two small children (five-years-old and 17 months). One person is a vegetarian. Two of the family members are very picky eaters, but I think I'll let them worry about themselves.

So...

we need a Christmas Eve dinner locale, breakfast and dinner for Christmas, and then any other suggestions for activities around that time. Aside from the two picky eaters, we are a food-loving bunch, so I am looking for food-related activities. I'm thinking we will take a day trip to bayou country for a crawfish boil maybe? Last time I visited, back in '96, we went to a restaurant near New Iberia (I think) that boiled up the crawfish with mash from the Tabasco factory and then served 'em right on the table over newspaper. There were sinks along the side of the room. I'd LOVE to go back there, but I don't remember the name of the place, so I don't even know if it is still around.

Thanks!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this up in the hopes that someone will have some suggestions for us! We are struggling to find a place for Christmas. The biggest issue seems to be our vegetarian. Any ideas? She is happy doing just side dishes, so it shouldn't be a HUGE problem.

In lieu of presents, we are doing a family trip to New Orleans this Christmas with my in-laws. There will be eight of us, including two small children (five-years-old and 17 months). One person is a vegetarian. Two of the family members are very picky eaters, but I think I'll let them worry about themselves.

So...

we need a Christmas Eve dinner locale, breakfast and dinner for Christmas, and then any other suggestions for activities around that time. Aside from the two picky eaters, we are a food-loving bunch, so I am looking for food-related activities. I'm thinking we will take a day trip to bayou country for a crawfish boil maybe? Last time I visited, back in '96, we went to a restaurant near New Iberia (I think) that boiled up the crawfish with mash from the Tabasco factory and then served 'em right on the table over newspaper. There were sinks along the side of the room. I'd LOVE to go back there, but I don't remember the name of the place, so I don't even know if it is still around.

Thanks!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

So...

Thanks!

Hey Danielle,

Sorry I missed this the first time around.

At higher end places, I can't imagine the vegetarian having a problem. Neighbor spots may be unable to accommodate non-meat eaters.

I got no help for the picky eaters.

With staffing still a problem, finding a Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner could be tough. Almost every hotel restaurant should be open, and many great restaurants are located in hotels.

The French Quarter Festivals institutionalized and now promotes the traditional reveillon meal. Many restaurants offer a special prix fixe menu during the hollidays. Check this website for info and a list of places open both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day:

Reveillon Meals

Of the places listed, I would recommend 7 on Fulton, Broussard's, Café Adelaide, Commander's Palace, Galatoire's, La Cote Brasserie, New Orleans Grill, Ralph's on the Park, Tujague's, and Uppperline. All of these are open Christmas Eve and a few are open Christmas day.

It's too early for crawfish. The season just begins in December.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

It may be early for crawfish but I have had them before New Year's some years.

You could probably try closer to New Orleans, but if you want to go to the country, these recommendations on Emeril's site are still good.

Edited by My Confusing Horoscope (log)

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

It may be early for crawfish but I have had them before New Year's some years.

You could probably try closer to New Orleans, but if you want to go to the country, these recommendations on Emeril's site are still good.

thanks guys for replying!

That Emeril's link is great- Guiding Star is the restaurant we ate at (I'm quite sure). I'll need to investigate. Even if we can't get crawfish, I'm sure everything else is damn good as well, and we loved the down home atmosphere. I remember it vividly, and it was over 10 years ago.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Boiling Point on HWY 90 between New Iberia and Lafayette might also be the place you visited?

Better call ahead for any of these out of the way places. I wouldn't want to steer you wrong on availability. Todd makes a good point.

Edited by My Confusing Horoscope (log)

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.