• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grill Pans - Le Crueset & Batali

CanadianBakin'

I'm looking into buying a cast iron grill pan with panini press for someone for Christmas. Since they are a bit costly I'm trying to do my research and make sure I get the best product. There is a huge difference in price between Le Creuset and Batali. Is Le Creuset worth the price or is it just the name? The descriptions are very similar, size about the same, materials the same. Two things I noticed; Le Creuset specifies it is not for ceramic/glass tops which this person has although if they are basically the same product then why is the Batali one ok for this use. Second, the Batali one specifies that the handles are very hot and you must always use an oven mitt. I couldn't find any info about this on Le Creuset. It seems to me that would be pretty inconvenient when handling a pan that heavy but having never used one I could be wrong. Can anyone give some insight into these two products?

edited for spelling - sorry, can't change the title :)

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

one difference may be that the press ,for the batali product, is "ridged".it is hard to tell if the lc press has ridges from the web site picture.

batali's press fits perfectly inside the grill pan, so you can easily heat the press and the pan at the same time.that way you don't have to turn the sandwich.it cooks top and bottom at the same time.

yes the handles get hot, but it's never been a problem for me.

Out of curiousity, what's the advantage of an enameled cast iron grill pan vs. an unemaled seasoned cast iron skillet (assuming both are unridged). I understand enameled dutch ovens because they're convenient for things with liquids, particularly acidic liquids, but why grill pans?

---

al wang

i think the grill pans are only enameled on the outside. it is probably just an aesthetic thing. lodge and other companies make MUCH cheaper grill pans, but most of them don't come with a lid like batali's which is meant to be a "panini press". you could always wrap a brick in foil to weight your sandwich!

all cast iron cookware handles will get hot, enameled or not because the entire pot is meant to be able to be put into an oven. you just have to get used to using a pot holder or towel when using this type of cookware.

i just bought a batali dutch oven and the quality seems very good. it is only half the price of le creuset and 1/3 the price of a staub. still expensive, but seems worth it.

edited to add: remember that if your friend is using this grill pan for a panini press, they might have to season their pan to avoid sticking. there are a ton of panini presses being sold which are sort of like waffle irons that are non-stick and probably cheaper than some of the grill pans available. but of course it is just another appliance to find space for.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

The value and longevity of enamelled cast iron made in China has been discussed on other threads. If there is a consensus, it is that they are remarkably good for the price, maybe not as well designed and finished as Le Creuset. Some egulleters suspected there might be more chipping with the cheaper pots and pans, but this was just a notion.

But when Batali enters the fray, the balance leans toward the cheaper set. There are some new designs, like the pannni press lid, and the number produced can be very high with Mario's marketing, hence economies of scale. And most of the production will be aimed at markets where Mario is known on TV.

Le Creuset does not have those advantages, and they have to deal with high labour costs and worldwide marketing.

Their products are very fine, but Mario's may be irresistable to most.

I have a pretty complete Le Cruset collection (courtesy of living in the UK and shopping in France every other weekend for 2 years), but I also have a number of Lodge pans, both enameled and straight cast iron.

You can get a pre-seasoned Lodge cast iron grill pan (I'd go round rather than square, Lodge Logic 11" grill pan) and to make pannini, go with either a foil-wrapped brick (not very elegant, but very price competitive!) , or their cast iron grill press (Round or Rectangular) ...

The major advantage to an enameled pan, assuming the cooking surface is enameled as well, is that it requires no seasoning ...

Edited by JasonZ (log)

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Out of curiousity, what's the advantage of an enameled cast iron grill pan vs. an unenameled [corrected] seasoned cast iron skillet (assuming both are unridged). 

I'm not certain I understand the question -- I thought ALL grill pans have ridges, to create the "grill marks" in the food being cooked. For pannini, I would imagine that a pan without ridges would apply heat uniformly to the entire surface of the bread being heated, while a ridged pan would vary that ... it should be a very slight difference -- I can't imagine that a cheese wouldn't melt in a ridged pan, but would in a flat pan ...

Also, if you're using a very soft bread and a ridged pan and a press or weight, you might indent the sandwich surface somewhat in a grilled pan but not in a flat pan. Again, shouldn't matter much ...

Enameled vs unenameled seasoned? Cost ... both have surfaces that must be treated gently -- scratching the enamel is permanent, while cast iron can always be re-seasoned.

Edited by JasonZ (log)

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Thanks for your input. It's the grill pan I want most, the panini press is just an added bonus so a panini appliance isn't an option this time.

I have looked at some like the Lodge pans but the enamelled ones just look so much nicer as a gift and it doesn't look like Lodge has an enamel grill pan.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Thanks for your input. It's the grill pan I want most, the panini press is just an added bonus so a panini appliance isn't an option this time.

I have looked at some like the Lodge pans but the enamelled ones just look so much nicer as a gift and it doesn't look like Lodge has an enamel grill pan.

i recently ordered a lodge grill pan from amazon and the shipping department sent me the case (three pans instead of one). they also threw in a tape dispenser (well used) and some tissue paper from the women's clothing store "bebe" (two full packs...probably around 20 pounds worth). must have been going on break when my package came up. when i called amazon, they said they'd send me a return shipping label, but they never did. i ended up with three grill pans and all the extras for $17!

I'm looking into buying a cast iron grill pan ...

Two things I noticed; Le Creuset specifies it is not for ceramic/glass tops which this person has although if they are basically the same product then why is the Batali one ok for this use. Second, the Batali one specifies that the handles are very hot and you must always use an oven mitt. I couldn't find any info about this on Le Creuset. ...

I've had a Le Creuset "Grillit" (UK) for a while now.

And had no problem at all using it on a glass ceramic top (induction).

I have a (Le Creuset) pot lifter - its like an oven glove for the handle - that works nicely (as long as you grip it!) Weight is an important consideration for some people, and lifting it with a loose handle cover might be more of a worry - depending on the strength and confidence of the user.

After grilling/searing, its easy to to pop the whole loaded pan into a warm oven, for example to 'rest' steak. Which one might be more reluctant to do with a longer, non-metal handle.

The LC Grillit has an enamelled exterior and an unglazed interior. The trick is to treat it like a wok and just wash it very gently (don't scrub it), so that you build up a 'patina' on the inside. Oh, and oil the food, not the pan...

My big round one takes up a lot of cupboard space. I've wondered if the rectangular (2 trout size?) one might be slightly better.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Should have said - my Grillit (and IIRC every other one I've seen) has a smooth enamelled exterior to the base. Which would appear kind and non-scratching to the glass ceramic top. It's certainly sits beautifully flat on the glass. What's the problem?

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Should have said - my Grillit (and IIRC every other one I've seen) has a smooth enamelled exterior to the base. Which would appear kind and non-scratching to the glass ceramic top. It's certainly sits beautifully flat on the glass. What's the problem?

often the manufacturers of the stoves have a warning about using certain things on those surfaces. there's a thread specifically talking about grill pans which are long and rectangular and meant to be used across two burners. they can cause something called "crazing" (cracking of the enamel or surface) to the tops of certain stoves. it probably isn't a problem at all for using on one burner.

I'm looking into buying a cast iron grill pan ...

Two things I noticed; Le Creuset specifies it is not for ceramic/glass tops which this person has although if they are basically the same product then why is the Batali one ok for this use. Second, the Batali one specifies that the handles are very hot and you must always use an oven mitt. I couldn't find any info about this on Le Creuset. ...

I have a (Le Creuset) pot lifter - its like an oven glove for the handle - that works nicely (as long as you grip it!) Weight is an important consideration for some people, and lifting it with a loose handle cover might be more of a worry - depending on the strength and confidence of the user.

After grilling/searing, its easy to to pop the whole loaded pan into a warm oven, for example to 'rest' steak. Which one might be more reluctant to do with a longer, non-metal handle.

The LC Grillit has an enamelled exterior and an unglazed interior. The trick is to treat it like a wok and just wash it very gently (don't scrub it), so that you build up a 'patina' on the inside. Oh, and oil the food, not the pan...

My big round one takes up a lot of cupboard space. I've wondered if the rectangular (2 trout size?) one might be slightly better.

Thanks for addressing those questions.

We bought a le Creuset set last year that included the gril pan. It is certaily proven useful and great for grilling steak, chicken, and even dogs. The only down side I have found is the difficulty of clearing it after cooking anything with a marinade or sauce on it, since it drips between the grooves and basily burns on.

I use a induction cooktop (glass top) and I must say it can really get that pan hot fast. We bought the Le Creuset set to go with the new induction cooktop and all pieces work fine on the top.

I'm looking into buying a cast iron grill pan with panini press for someone for Christmas. Since they are a bit costly I'm trying to do my research and make sure I get the best product. There is a huge difference in price between Le Creuset and Batali. Is Le Creuset worth the price or is it just the name? The descriptions are very similar, size about the same, materials the same. Two things I noticed; Le Creuset specifies it is not for ceramic/glass tops which this person has although if they are basically the same product then why is the Batali one ok for this use. Second, the Batali one specifies that the handles are very hot and you must always use an oven mitt. I couldn't find any info about this on Le Creuset. It seems to me that would be pretty inconvenient when handling a pan that heavy but having never used one I could be wrong. Can anyone give some insight into these two products?

edited for spelling - sorry, can't change the title :)