• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trio of confits advice

jfilmm

I am having a dinner party for 8 at the end of the month and need a little entree advice. I was thinking of preparing 3 separate (each brined with a different set of herbs and spices) confits to be plated together, with each having their own small accompaniments.

The first would be a duck confit raviolo, the second perhaps a simple confit'd whole leg of chicken (over a teensy bit of risotto with braised fennel), and the third could perhaps be more poultry--maybe a pheasant confit springroll? Or has anyone heard of a beef confit?

Any creative ideas out there?

I have never confit beef, but Rabbit makes a good confit, you can then use it for rillettes, pork or suckling pig makes superb confit. Lamb neck is another candidate. Remember that confit meats are pretty rich so you might want to watch out for how much of each you put on the plate.

Quail legs. That'll demonstrate your confit prowess.

I think I would need about 50 of them, no?

No, you'd need 8 quail. 8 guests for dinner, 2 quail legs per guest. You can serve the quail breasts with the legs (e.g. stuff with a little pear chutney, wrap in pancetta and sear) as a two-service item.

How about rabbit and salmon as the other two? Land, air, sea.

Pheasant legs confit really well, cure them for a couple days in some salt garlic, shallots rosemary and thyme, clean off, braise in duck fat for about 5-7 hours at about 250. remove, shred and add some dijon and cabernet wine vinegar, season and there you go

I have never confit beef, but Rabbit makes a good confit, you can then use it for rillettes, pork or suckling pig makes superb confit. Lamb neck is another candidate. Remember that confit meats are pretty rich so you might want to watch out for how much of each you put on the plate.

I have to find out how to do the pork, suckling pig, and lamb neck! My mouth is watering. :raz:

i do a confit of lamb shoulder in my restaurant which works perfectly...

Do you cut it up before confiting it or confit it as a whole? Do you use only duck fat?

boned out but left whole and trussed... i found that a combination of fats seems to flavor it the best...

Some onion confit would go really nice with the other items.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I would stay away from 3 meat confits..that can be a little "heavy". As suggested in earlier posts...throw in a seafood, vege, or fruit confit w/ your meat items.

A nice whole fig confit or grape(peeled and confited in duck fat) would be great and make a nice addition to you meats.

tuna,salmon,scallop,fennel,onion,tomato,fig,plum,grape would be nice accomaniements to 2 meat confits as well.