• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook's salary in France

lesanglierrouge

Wow how exciting! Will you be in Paris? Unfortunately I suspect that your salary will probably be less than you are used to, however you'll get also get social security which will include at least 5 weeks vacation pay, medical coverage and retirement benefits. You will also probably make a monthly salary and not an hourly wage. I know a few people in kitchens here and will try to ask what average salaries are. Fresh A and Pitipois might have a better idea.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Fresh A and Pitipois might have a better idea.

I'd love to help you here, but I have no precise idea. I will ask around. I don't know precisely what kind of salary one should expect when newly employed as a cook in a small Parisian restaurant but I know at least that would not be high. In a Parisian 2-star, I was told about the rivalry between the waiting staff and the kitchen staff because of strong disparities in salary (the waiting staff being substantially paid more than the kitchen staff, and that was described to me as a general rule).

SMIC is currently (I think) of 8,27 euros per hour before social charges. That makes about 1150 euros on a monthly basis. That is the official minimum wage.

My salary, as a waitress in Paris, was about 1500-1600 a month, INCLUDING tips. So, I recieved the SMIC (minimum wage) plus a share of tips each week. Incidently the tips were shared with the kitchen as well.

My salary, as a waitress in Paris, was about 1500-1600 a month, INCLUDING tips.  So, I recieved the SMIC (minimum wage) plus a share of tips each week. Incidently the tips were shared with the kitchen as well.

It has to be precised, for Americans — who are used to a much different culture of tipping than the French one — that tips in France are optional, and generally lower than in the US. A 15% for service is included in the restaurant prices. When you say "including tips", are you referring to that mandatory 15% or to the "extra" tips, which should legally not be included in your wages?

Edited by Ptipois (log)

I certainly don't epect to make what I made in the States and I'm perfectly fine with that. I am here for the experience above all. This being said, Paris is not a cheap place and I'd like to be able to afford the experience!

Thank you for taking your time to ask around.

I'd say somewhere between 1200 and 1500 euros, depending on the restaurant and what you'll be doing. If you're starting as a "commis", for instance, you'll be closer to 1200, more or less. If you move to "chef de partie", you'll certainly make more. Good luck, and tell us where you've been hired.

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

• 1 year later...

The newspaper L'Hotellerie Restauration has a supplement on salaries this week and lists the following for average monthly salary for kitchen staff in France. (These figures are before social security and other charges are taken out, which can be several hundred euros)

Chef de Rang: 1969€

Cuisinier: 1849€

Chef de Cuisine 2500€

The average salary for all positions combined in Paris is €1825

*Edited to add that these are monthly salaries

Edited by Felice (log)