• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Bell Peppers Stuffed w/ Dace Fish Cake

hzrt8w

Pictorial Recipe

Bell Peppers Stuffed with Dace Fish Cake (鯪魚球釀青椒)

One way to cook dace fish cake is to stuff them in bell peppers (or you can use all kinds of peppers). It is very simple to make. What I am showing here is to mix the dace fish cake with dried shrimp and dried black mushroom. You may also stuff the pepper with plain dace fish cake.

Besides peppers, you may also stuff dace fish cake with tofu, eggplants, mushrooms.

gallery_19795_3713_51648.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 2-3

Preparations:

gallery_19795_3713_45563.jpg

Main ingredients (upper right, clockwise):

- 1 box of dace fish cake, 1 lb

- dried shrimp, use about 3 tblsp

- 2 dried black mushrooms

- 2 Anaheim peppers

- 2 red bell peppers

gallery_19795_3713_3765.jpg

Soak the dried shrimp in a bowl of warm water for about 30 minutes. Soak the 2 black mushrooms in a bowl of warm water for about 1 hour.

gallery_19795_3713_25093.jpg

Remove stems from the black mushrooms. Drain all water. Dice them up. Drain water from the soaked dried shrimp.

gallery_19795_3713_20152.jpg

In a large mixing bowl, combine the diced black mushrooms, dried shrimp and dace fish cake.

gallery_19795_3713_31016.jpg

Mix the ingredients well to make the filling.

gallery_19795_3713_3606.jpg

Cut the bell peppers into large wedges. Cut the Anaheim peppers into thick rings.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_3713_10929.jpg

Use a flat frying pan (or a wok). Set stove to medium-slow. Add 3 tblsp of cooking oil.

With each piece of wedged pepper: hold the piece with one hand and use a spoon to scoop the filling and stuff it onto the pepper with the other hand.

gallery_19795_3713_9843.jpg

Lay the stuffed pepper with fish cake side down on the frying pan. Continue with stuffing the rest of the peppers.

gallery_19795_3713_3144.jpg

Shallow-fry the fish cake stuffing for about 5 to 7 minutes over medium-slow stove setting. No need to flip the pepper over. The heat from the fish cake filling will cook the pepper.

Transfer to a serving plate.

gallery_19795_3713_51648.jpg

Picture of the finished dish.

Condiment: a small dish of light soy sauce or oyster sauce.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 4 weeks later...

Supplemental

gallery_19795_3713_5010.jpg

If you can get the fresh dace fish paste, it tastes very good without adding anothing to the filling.

gallery_19795_3713_9749.jpg

Just scoop a big spoonful of the fish paste on the inside of a cut fresh bell pepper. Fresh fish paste is very sticky. It sticks on to the pepper quite well.

gallery_19795_3713_12831.jpg

Light-fry them for 3 to 5 minutes.

gallery_19795_3713_21271.jpg

Serve with light soy sauce or oyster sauce.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

You must have seen me shopping at the Asian store yesterday! I found containers of fish paste in their freezer. The label said it may contain dace, pike and sea eel, but I thought it would be ok.

I was going to make it tomorrow, but my Mom wants stew! :rolleyes: Oh well, gota please momma.

I had a wonderful cart load of groceries: long beans, guy choi, tiny baby bok choi, fu gwa, lily bulbs, pea shoots ( larger than in your pictorial, Ah Leung), guy lan, brown bean sauce (meen see - not paste), plums in brine, chili radish, many packets of Thai curry paste and chili paste, lap yuk, ho fun, cheung fun, BBQ duck, char siu, cooked pork stomach, yes!!! :laugh: I actually doubled many of the items and dropped them off at my brother's. They always buy for us when they go into the city.

Hubby and I had cheung fun, duck and gai lan for lunch. For supper, I'm doing pork ribs in meen see and plums, and maybe some simple stir-fry pea shoots with ginger and garlic. :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com