• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alaska Spot Prawns

Abra

The Alaska spot prawn season has started, and I made a great dinner tonight. Sorry, no pictures.

For the prawns I used this wonderful recipe.

With the shells I made a rich stock, then stirred it into a risotto/paella fusion rice dish. I meant to make risotto, but then it turned out that I had only bomba rice. I cooked it risotto-style, with the prawn stock, amontillado sherry (no fino in the house) shallot and celery, a pinch of saffron, the kernels from an ear of corn, some tiny (frozen) peas, and a dollop of butter. Piled the prawns over that, and zowie. That was good.

I might have to make spot prawns every night for a few days, while they're on sale (only $9.99 a lb) and so perfect.

If you're in spot prawn territory, what are you making?

The Alaska spot prawn season has started, and I made a great dinner tonight.  Sorry, no pictures.

they're on sale (only $9.99 a lb) and so perfect.

It is puzzling to see recipes from Mondavi (prawns, scallops,salmon, halibut) supporting only Alaska, when all of the fisheries in the north Pacific are also producers.

The Alaska spot prawn season has started, and I made a great dinner tonight.  Sorry, no pictures.

they're on sale (only $9.99 a lb) and so perfect.

It is puzzling to see recipes from Mondavi (prawns, scallops,salmon, halibut) supporting only Alaska, when all of the fisheries in the north Pacific are also producers.

Not at all-US Americans aren't generally interested in other jurisdictions.

As I've posted before here the laugh is on them as large sectors of the Alaskan fish processing industry as controlled by Canadian companies-something which has led to Canadian products being sold into the US market.

There's always more Copper River Sockeye on the market than was harvested for instance.

Prawns-here in BC Prawn season opened back in May and since I harvest my own just outside city limits I have a steady supply.

A brief flash in the pan with EVOO, Baba Franchuks' Garlic and some Similkameen Habaneros on Basmati usually gets me through, wash it all down with Thornhaven Gewürztraminer. :wub:

I hope some of these prawns will come my way, regardless of origin.

Recently I have had Alaska King Crab, shipped from Seattle, but clearly marked "Product of Russia". Very tasty, too.

In Atlantic Canada (P.E.I., I think) the government had to bring in Russian crab packers because the locals would not do the job.

Malarkey, try that Mondavi recipe. It's really different and good.

It's not especially Mondavi promoting Alaska prawns, I don't think I've ever seen spot prawns labeled any other way. I'm in the Seattle area, and if they are fished anywhere but Alaska, it's news to me.

When they are as fresh as these have been, I shell and dip in a bit of soy and maybe that green imatation wasabi. They are lovely. Although last Wed I actually just sauted them in evo and garlic and serve them up along side a green salad and some pasta. No complaints.

Went to the Market this afternoon, didn't find them.

Robert

Seattle

• 4 years later...

I bought live Spot Prawns today, though I do not believe we will be eating them till tomorrow.

I was debating whether to make another trek there again tomorrow and get them fresh, but thought that I am assuming when restaurants get them in, they keep them for at least a day or so while having them as 'specials' so why couldn't I?

The question is, what is the best method to keep these suckers (Granted they are probably dead by now...) till tomorrow?

Cheers

If I can get them with the roe, I like to just wrap them in tinfoil with a generous knob of butter and garlic, throw them on the grill for a couple of minutes and then serve them whole.

They are so delicious there is really no reason to fuss around too much with them.

ETA: I don't actually get them fresh or live in Alabama. I can only get them frozen and overnighted.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

Can't help you out with storing them as I buy them live and use them same day. Like BadRabbit, I think it's best to keep prep simple - cut in half longitudinally, brush with melted butter or olive oil, a bit of salt. Grill flesh side down over screaming hot coals for 2-3 min. Consume immediately, preferably standing over the grill. From flopping to fork in under 5 minutes (actually, don't bother with the fork).

I like this idea....will save me tons of work pealing those suckers (and parts are damn sharp too!).

I have one in the past some basic garlic/little chili/occasional ginger/lemon/oil marinade - any thoughts/suggestions?

I suppose the KISS rule here would dominate.

Those flavors sound good, it's just my personal preference to keep them really simple.

The first time I ever prepared them I was instructed to split the shell only down the back and rub a thyme-chili pesto between shell and meat. I tore up my hands something awful (results were delicious, though).