• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last dinner

Just found out that I am going off to war. I will travel from Canada to London, then off to the Middle East and Afghanistan. I am leaving next week.

I am looking to treat myself since this can be my last good meal for a long time. Price is flexible. I am happy to spend up to 250 pounds for myself.

Limiting factors are that the restuarant should be easily accessible as I won't have a rental car and may need to hail a taxi cab from Heathrow airport. Also, it has to be a place that I can get a reservation on relatively short notice.

I am interested in mostly modern French/British cuisine. Please help.

One more point.  I will likely dine alone.  Please recommend a restaurant that does not turn solo dinners away.  Cheers.

Why would anywhere turn a solo diner away? Close to Heathrow and a bit of a treat? I'd travel the 16 miles and do The Waterside at Bray.

I guess it would be Last Supper in proper English.  In Canada, we call the main meal in the evening "Dinner" instead of "Supper".

You're two bets are Bray or the Heathrow Express train into Paddington and something round Mayfair.

Bray the obvious choice is Fat Duck. I hear booking has got more of an arse nowadays but you've probably got a decent shot at securing a weekday lunchtime slot but may struggle for dinner. Otherwise the Waterside Inn which is well bookable.

Mayfair the standards aren't quite as good. Gavroche your best bet. Alternatives: The Square, Claridges, Connaught (Frenchy/Ital), Locatelli (Italian)

Budget shouldn't be an issue

ta

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

One more point.  I will likely dine alone.  Please recommend a restaurant that does not turn solo dinners away.  Cheers.

Why would anywhere turn a solo diner away?

stops them selling a bigger table, if they're a small resto and usually full they're turning away money.

though i can't say i've heard of it being a massive problem.

for example we have 11 tables, only 2 will only hold 2 people so if we take a whole load of tables for two we can be 'full' at only 22 people when in reality full is 45-46.

you don't win friends with salad

Just found out that I am going off to war.  I will travel from Canada to London, then off to the Middle East and Afghanistan.  I am leaving next week.

I am looking to treat myself since this can be my last good meal for a long time. 

Here's hoping that's the full extent of your problems. The very best of luck.

Waterside in Bray is indeed the ideal choice, although someone less diplomatic than myself could probably make an argument for The Afghan Kitchen in Islington, or perhaps the Hare Krishna vegetarian buffet at Govinda's in Soho.

Edited by naebody (log)

...someone less diplomatic than myself could probably make an argument for... the Hare Krishna vegetarian buffet at Govinda's in Soho.

WTF?

MON, good luck over there.

I wouldn't want to be in your boots for all the opium in the world.

As others have said, Bray is an oasis of haute cuisine within easy taxi distance of Heathrow, but you'll need to book at either the Waterside or the Fat Duck. Alternatively, you can easily get into central London from Thiefrow and might want to try Le Gavroche or any of the G.Ramsay establishments.

I recently had a business trip to London and would recommend L'oranger. While I was there with my boss, it seemed very receptive to single diners. We also called the restaurant on a saturday night (this past saturday) 1 hour before we wanted to eat and had no problem getting in. We were the first people there for eating at 7pm. Not what time Londoners typically eat but when we tried to get into The Wolseley at the same time they were booked full.

Jeff

P.S. I am going to create a post on my dining experiences this past weekend with photos.