• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you like in wine . . .

Rebel Rose

I'm struggling with a braising recipe tonight that I, personally, feel would benefit from the addition of some star anise or clove.

But no, Dan hates that stuff, among other barky spices.

Here's our list of things we would give a "plus" to if it were in wine aroma or flavor, but that Dan would never allow to pass his lips:

Cloves

Cinnamon

Cola

Star anise

Cardamom

Nutmeg

What's on your list?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

As I would happily imbibe all of the spices on your list, I must state the somewhat obvious: barnyard, baby!

David:

You beat me to it!! I was going to say barnyard or "horse blanket" or "gaminess" or any of those other lovely descriptors that are spot on but inappropriate "tableside" language.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh dear, I forgot to specify that I meant things one would actually have in one's pantry. :laugh:

But no matter! Carry on, and if you seek inspiration, there's our 2005 discussion on nasty things, Terrible terms.

(You might want to specify whether or not you have these items in your pantry on a regular basis.)

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Oh dear, I forgot to specify that I meant things one would actually have in one's pantry.  :laugh: 

Um... not to be a pain, Mary, but why would I have something in my pantry that I wouldn't want to eat??? In all seriousness though, I am having a terribly hard time coming up with anything that is both a possible pantry item and a desirable scent/taste in wine that I wouldn't be open to eating.

cat pee, as well as wet stones and such...i cant think of a culinary situation where i would be eating anything that tasted like wet stones... bardyard-y flavors are in the same boat too.

Edited by djsexyb (log)

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

If I bring in some ripe Egyptian Guava home, my beloved wife will not hesitate to change the lock.

Quite appealing in a fruity Sauvignon Blance though.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I just thought of a few more to add to my first list.

Dan frequently recognizes aromas of chocolate and coffee in some reds, which he finds very appropriate and pleasant in wine. But he seldom, almost never, consumes either.

I like the aroma of tea, especially in zinfandel, but hate to drink the stuff!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

One of my friends, for a homemade wine contest, doctored some grape juice with the suggested flavours, and came in second.

Of the less appealing ingredients, he crumbled in the butt end of a used cigarette, a piece of potting soil, and added a drop of gasoline.

None of those are high on my ingredient list.

If limited to what might be in a pantry that I appreciate in wine, but would (prefer) not pass my lips. . . coconut, lychee.

From the pantry, what I don't like in wine nor across my lips. . . bell pepper, dill.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

If limited to what might be in a pantry that I appreciate in wine, but would (prefer) not pass my lips. . .  coconut, lychee.

From the pantry, what I don't like in wine nor across my lips. . .  bell pepper, dill.

wow, brad those are some wierd ones.. i would have figured you for a real culinarian. to each his own...

Heres an update for my list...TAR

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com