• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sicily Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Jeanne

Several years ago, we had a wonderful dinner at Cantina Siciliana in Trapani. Outside Menfi, near Selinunte, we love Il Vigneto. Have always gone for lunch - it's out in the countryside sitting in the middle of an artichoke field. I recommend the selection of pastas, fried artichoke hearts (probably won't have these in the fall), grilled fish. There are a number of wineries in that area that you can visit. We visited Planeta which was great. (http://www.planeta.it/ENG/visite.htm) Settesoli is another. Da Vittorio is a restaurant in Porto Paolo di Menfi that gets rave reviews, but I haven't been there. Sounds wonderful. My favorite of the archeological sites is Selinunte, and Segesta is magical too.

I am interested in Li Vignetto and Da Vittorio can you tell me their closed days and are they open for lunch and dinner? I already have bookmarked Planeta, Fazio and Donnafugata for winery visits. thanks RR

Da Vittorio is open for lunch and dinner. Closed all day Sunday and Monday night. Their telephone # is: 0925 78381.

Il Vigneto is closed Monday, open for lunch and dinner both I think. Their # is: 0925 71732.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been back a few weeks now, so I should add a few comments about the trip, as they might come in handy for others.

We had a bit of dining bad luck along the way, finding it hard to combine heavy sightseeing and lots of travelling with the brief lunch hours of many restaurants. We missed out on l'Angolo di Divino in Taormina, arriving 5 mins after lunch ended -- rather difficult to find map/people who knew it and the turismo was closed. Similarly, missed out on a recommended place on Lipari.

The highpoints were two dinners in Modica - one at A putia ro vinu, where we couldn't understand a word of what the old gentlemen said, but ended up with a five(?) course tourist menu which was great and less than EUR30 for two. Hearty. Tasty. A very warm place (unlike so many other dining establishments in Sicily), with smiles and bonhomie. The other really good meal was at the other end of the scale. We were advised by our hotellier (Hotel Relais Modica) that Fattoria delle Torri was good, but the price-quality relationship was less good than Ristorante Torre d'Oriente, so we visited the latter. Delightful food, and a beautiful setting overlooking the eastern end of Modica.

Less impressive were meals at La Foglia in Siracusa - very popular with tourists and somewhat eclectic. We found the menu rather pricey for many of the dishes being served and service was slow and unwelcoming. However, my companion did say his calamari were the best he'd ever tasted.

Don Serafino in Ragusa was a lunch destination on a very hot afternoon. Alas, the service was very stuffy and the dishes we chose either poorly balanced (tagliatelle/lamb/calamint/nero d'avola) or a little underwhelming (a lasagne with cocoa pasta, and I can't remember the rest :wacko: at rather high prices). The setting is lovely, however.

After many days with far less vegetable matter than we were used to, we sought somewhere with a good antipasti selection in Siracusa. Alas, the recommendation from B&B owner and some other tourists - La Terrazza - was very wide of the mark. Yes, the antipasti selection was broad - and mediocre. The place was little better than a tourist trap:( Pizzas were passable.

Rather abbreviated comments, sorry, but I thought it better to write something than forget completely!

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

• 8 months later...

I am topping this thread in the hopes of getting some new answers. the trip is close!

Also the location of Il Vignetto in Menfi is confusing. It is listed as being in

"A farmhouse in the open counrtyside" however the map and address seem to indicate it is in town on Via Porto Palo.

I am topping this thread in the hopes of getting some new answers. the trip is close!

It's been quite a while, but we really liked the Moderno in Erice, in the hotel of the same name. The couscous was excellent, and much else too.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

This might help: Western Sicily,where to Eat?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks for the try sorry that's no help. I found the listing on Via Michelin and the map puts it in town which as I said does not make sense based on the description, another description I found has it on the coast.

I suppose I can call when I'm there but I just would like to have a general idea. I know its not too far from Selunente.

how funny Maureen, we stopped at the Moderno first as they had a HUGE sign outside saying Maria Grammatica's pastries!..

seemed weird... but had some.. walked out and then saw the Pastry shop!

Hi, you must try il pocho: it is about 40 minutes drive from Erice (maybe less), going towards Palermo. Spectacular views from the terrace over to teh sea, I suggest going in the evening. You cannot choose the menu, but they will tell you before hand what is on offer. If you happen to go on the cuscus nigth, it is a real treat - and on the morning of the cus cus night, you can see how it is done (by hand) in Marilu's (the owner) kitchen. Still have fond memories of my various visits last summer...

I'm also heading to Sicily next month, and I'm taking notes of all the reccos that you're doing, so please keep them coming, and not only in the West, Agrigento, Siracusa and Taormina are in our itinerary too.

Thanks in advance

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

• 4 weeks later...

"Also the location of Il Vignetto in Menfi is confusing. It is listed as being in

"A farmhouse in the open counrtyside" however the map and address seem to indicate it is in town on Via Porto Palo"

You're probably already on your trip, but the farmhouse in the open countryside is the correct location, not Porto Palo. Good luck finding it. It 's worth the search!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

We have spent a week in Sicily the last week of September. The trip was great but we made the mistake of trying to see the whole island in just one week, we didn't realize how big and hilly the island can be.

We started in Palermo, a decadent city that we loved. The street markets, like in all Sicily, are great. Somewhere between Africa and Europe but with superb and affordable product. Vuccira market is fin but overly touristic. Our favourite market was Il Capo.

gallery_11496_5303_30354.jpg

gallery_11496_5303_3413.jpg

We had good meals in trattorias like Ai Cascinare, near this market, where we had very good comfort food, a sperb caponata and good pasta al nero di sepia, but nothing outstanding.

gallery_11496_5303_31313.jpg

gallery_11496_5303_17089.jpg

Othre good direction was La Cabussa in Piazza Marina where we had good fish though overcooked and superb pasta con le sarde

gallery_11496_5303_24642.jpg

But the best single dish that I've had had in Sicily was the cous cous. I had read a lot about sicilian cous cous before but you really have to try it to believe it. We made all the way to San Vito lo Capo to visit the Cous cous fest, sponsored by Slow Food, that was taking place on those dates. We had a great version at the Kous Kous café.

gallery_11496_5303_18397.jpg

Next step was Piazza Armerina where we had lunch in La Ruota, another Slow Food recomended trattoria, close to the roman ruins, where we had a superb rabbit stew.

gallery_11496_5303_8797.jpg

Then to Siracusa/Ortigya where we had a reasonable good meal at Da Mariano

gallery_11496_5303_14017.jpg

gallery_11496_5303_39244.jpg

And an awful dinner at La Foglia, we were told that they were famous for cooking vegetables but everything was bad conceived and worst executed.

The market at Ortigya is cute and tiny, but with very good product.

gallery_11496_5303_21080.jpg

gallery_11496_5303_20002.jpg

We found the best markets in Sicily to be the ones at Catania

gallery_11496_5303_40759.jpg

gallery_11496_5303_11607.jpg

gallery_11496_5303_25004.jpg

Then we moved to the very touristic Taormina, were we had a wonderful dinner at Le Naumachie a product focused restaurant runned by the young Francesco and serving with superb fish cooked at the very perfect point. Something not that easy to find in Sicily. But I failed to pcture it.

Just one special mention for the Modican Chocolate:

gallery_11496_5303_37816.jpg

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Great report, Rogelio. It has now been 5 years since I have been to Sicily (because I have been going to Spain so much :raz::laugh: ) so your account and photos brought back some good memories. I had a great family reunion meal at Ai Caiscinari, brought there by my Palermitani cousins five generations removed. I think I went to La Foglia in Ortygia. If it is the place I am thinking of I had a good,meal in a funky, off-beat setting. Things can change.

Unfortunately, I never got to Catania, as we were blocked by the eruption of Mt. Etna.

I would love to return someday.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for more information about a type of biscotti apparently made only in Aidone. The biscotti contain wine and are understandably called biscotti con il vino.

Their shape is suppose to represent a dove and they are a specialty for Easter. I have seen pictures of them and their shape is strange, hardly bird like. Has anyone seen these special biscotti from Aidone and/or know anything more about them?

i southern Italy i have had biscotti di vino made both with red and white wine.

Mostly the ones I have had are shaped like a taralli

they are made with wine, and olive oil which gives them a fabulous crunch

I like them rolled in sugar before baking.

here is a recipe

http://www.robinsfyi.com/holidays/christma...cottidivino.htm

I was in western Sicily for just under two weeks last October. I did about 8 reviews which I posted on the slowtrav website.

Not food related but the standout site was in south western sicily near menfi and the FABULOUS!!! Il Vittorio restaurant. Selunente archeological site. amazing.

That and Il due passi del mare are worth traveling a LONG way.

Links to reviews see below

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/...mmare+del+golfo

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/...mmare+del+golfo

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/...+venere&s=erice

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/...ata&s=marettimo

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/...ero&s=marettimo

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/...gelo&s=monreale

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/...are&s=petrosino

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/...o+palo+di+menfi

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/...an+vito+lo+capo

Edited by RRainey (log)

• 2 weeks later...

We are flying out to Sicily on Friday, stayig just outside of Syracuse- has any one eat at Duomo, as we think we would like to go- if so any recommendations for what to eat., ditto Locando Don Serafino and la Madia?

Also heard very mixed reports about retaurants in Syracuse itself, are any worth eating at, or should we be hopping in the car around the island?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give! :biggrin:

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

We are flying out to Sicily on Friday, stayig just outside of Syracuse- has any one eat at Duomo, as  we think we would like to go- if so any recommendations for what to eat., ditto Locando Don Serafino and la Madia?

Also heard very mixed reports about retaurants in Syracuse itself, are any worth eating at, or should we be hopping in the car around the island?

About two years ago we stay at a hotle just outside Syracuse caolishka which was very hip hotles cool. We ate once but quite expensive and international. In Syracyse we ate at a great place twice - lunch and dinner. I can not remember name or exact location. It was just on a large sqaure/car park on the water front. If you stood in the square and looked at the restaurant, the main market street was just on the left. Had wonderful linguine with clams, proscecco, and orange and many other fish.

We are flying out to Sicily on Friday, stayig just outside of Syracuse- has any one eat at Duomo, as  we think we would like to go- if so any recommendations for what to eat., ditto Locando Don Serafino and la Madia?

Take a look at my post here-->Sicilian Quandry - Post #3

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”