• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice for cocktail party

Nathan

So I'm throwing a little housewarming party in my new digs this Saturday and I've come up with a tentative list of drinks but I could always do with a couple more suggestions; oh, and as I'll be out of the city all day on Saturday I have no prep time at all.

here's a list of what I know I can make with what I have on-hand:

Sidecar (including the maraschino and calvados variants)

Aviation (including the apricot variant)

Monkey Gland

20th Century cocktail

Pegu Club

what I egotistically call the "Definitive Negroni"

Corpse Reviver #2 (I have suitcase absinthe)

and for the sweet "chic-drink" types I'll do the "French Martini" or something I call the "Panty-Dropper" (excuse the moniker, its a long Hamptons-related story)

I'll have beer and wine as well.

other liquors in my bar include:

pear liquor

good tequila blanco (I forget the brand, but it wasn't cheap)

Kirsch

Frenet Stock

Frenet Stock Citrus

Slivovice (sp.?)

anything I can do with these?

thanks.

edit: since I have Kirsch I guess I could try to make a Blood and Sand but I better experiment this week to get it right first.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Nathan:

The pear liqueur makes for a nice Sidecar variant as well. I sometimes make a sidecar with Belle de Brillet which is a pear flavored cognac. You can sub half the cognac in your regular Sidecar with pear liqueur to a simliar effect. Quite tasty.

You could possibly also do this with a Calvados Sidecar and have it be an "Obstler" Sidecar, named for the Apple-Pear schnapps that are ubiquitous in Austria and Germany.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Nathan,

The only thing I'd say is, other than the negroni, the cocktails are all similar sour based drinks.

Might be nice to get something like a manhattan, brooklyn, or martini on there.

I don't know what "Frenet Stock" and "Frenet Stock Citrus" are. First I thought you might have mis-typed Fernet. Vodka, maybe?

If you've got Campari, (which I would guess you do for the Negroni,) the Rosita is quite nice as is the Jasmine (check this post for recipes.) I think both drinks are a little easier to love for the Campari novice than the Negroni.

Also check this thread, if you haven't already:

Imparting the Joys of Mixology on Others

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Ooops, should have googled before typing. The "Frenet Citrus" threw me. Thought it might be a citrus vodka.

Interesting. I don't remember ever seeing those brands in CA. Though, we do get Fernet Branca and Luxardo's Fernet.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

edit: since I have Kirsch I guess I could try to make a Blood and Sand but I better experiment this week to get it right first.

All the recipes I've seen for the Blood and Sand call for Cherry Heering (or another sweet cherry liqueur), not kirsch.

ah...ok...cross out the Blood and Sand.

a Manhattan is a good idea...not familiar with the Brooklyn.

Frenet Stock, Frenet Citrus and Slivovice are Czech liquors (the Slivovice is similar to a grappa)...

I'm going to taste test a pear sidecar tomorrow....

any good tequila drinks?

(personally I drink tequila straight or with a little cointreau and a dash of club soda)

thanks

I'm going to taste test a pear sidecar tomorrow....

Good luck. Depending on how sweet the pear liqueur is your proportions with the cognac could be 1:1 (1 oz.:1 oz.) or up to 3:1 (.5 oz.:1.5 oz.). The rest of the Sidecar is whatever your usual proportions might be to your taste. I tend to use just a hair more lemon juce than Cointreau to counteract the sweetness of the pear in this particular application.

Let me know how you liked it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

any good tequila drinks?

(personally I drink tequila straight or with a little cointreau and a dash of club soda)

thanks

Check out this topic -- there's a wide variety of recipes.

any good tequila drinks?

thanks

You can make a La Rosita

1 3/4 Reposado

3/4 campari

1/2 sweet vermouth

1/2 dry vermouth

angostura

edit: oops, Jaz pointed out the correct topic that has all these already in it.

Edited by johnder (log)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

any good tequila drinks?

thanks

You can make a La Rosita

1 3/4 Reposado

3/4 campari

1/2 sweet vermouth

1/2 dry vermouth

angostura

edit: oops, Jaz pointed out the correct topic that has all these already in it.

When I lived in Paris, we used to go to this bar that served a cocktail called the black velvet: Guiness and champagne. My best friend swore by it. Just a suggestion.

any good tequila drinks?

I like the Siesta from Flatiron Lounge:

1.5 oz : Herradura silver

.75 oz : simple syrup (1:1)

.75 oz : fresh lime juice

.50 oz : fresh grapefruit juice

.25 oz : Campari

Shake and strain.

--

I think the Siesta might happen.

yeah, the Black Velvet is an old Irish drink...never really thought of it as a coctkail...more as a variation on a Black and Tan.

in many parts of the U.S. (though I've never seen it in NY) bars will serve Guiness and Cider and incorrectly call it a Black Velvet.

(Guiness and Cider is actually a Snakebite)

I believe the point of both the Black Velvet and the Snakebite is to make Guiness palatable for summer...they are not year round drinks.