• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Artichoke lover in Paris for Christmas

orangewasabi

My husband & I plan to eat our way through Paris over the holidays.

Much debated, is whether New York or Paris will be the best artichoke city in the world (Castroville doesn't count).

What are your recommendations for the best artichoke dishes in Paris?

We'll probably head up to Brussels for a day or two to so if there are any standouts there also, I'd love to hear them.

k!

What are your recommendations for the best artichoke dishes in Paris?

Off the top of my head but not available in the winter holidays - Mediteranee's gigantic artichoke with divine sauce. Second, but not in Paris would be Aspen (Colo) D19's artichoke Roman style. Third, again you gotta take Ryan air is Da Giggetto itself in the ghetto in Rome. But that's not playing fair, is it? OK folks; others?

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Every time I eat chokes I get a strange aftertaste in the back of my throat. Anyone else? Maybe an alergic reaction. It's unfortunate because I'm in the food industry and end up eating them often and it's a very unpleasant AFTERTASTE,

M

M

NYC

"Get mad at them eggs!"

in Cool Hand Luke

the aftertaste was probably cynarin, a chemical compound found in artichokes. you might simply not like it, but if you try having your artichokes with a high acid sauvignon blanc, like one from new zealand, the wine can temper the cynarin while complementing the mild, smoky flavor of the choke's flesh.

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

• 2 weeks later...