• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Consumption as Absolution

srhcb

Every religion / culture has examples of people taking

steps that may seem extreme or incomprehensible to outsiders.

(Celibacy, vows of silence, whatever).

Doesn't mean they can be dismissed summarily.

Before you can critique it,  or institute invalid comparisons,

you have to have an informed grasp of what's going on.

Milagai

Well, yeah. And I wasn't critiquing anything -- I said, if it makes you feel closer to God, that's terrific. The belief that eating a certain way makes you better than others, is what bothers me.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

2. I got the "starving children in Africa" line too as a kid, and even though I did almost always clean my plate, my first thought whenever I heard this line was "So why not send it to them?"

Does this qualify me for the guillotine like what happened to Marie Antoinette when she suggested the starving peasants should eat cake?

You?? Nevah! :laugh: Hmmm ... you got starving kids in Africa; I got 'em in China. But I'm Italian. :smile: the way we ate, I have no doubt my parents knew I wouldn't believe the "starving Italian children" for a second!

I doubt if he can grasp an abstract concept yet, but the tone of voice in which the statement is made usually gets his attention.  (a pretty good trick in itself!)  He's more easily influenced by the possibility of immediate consequences, like, "If you don't want to eat your peas tonite, I will."

Day-um! That's a good one, SB! Very, very good!

I only regret I have twice as many cheeks as tongues! :laugh:

SB (or, depending on how you look at it, four times as many? :shock: )

Oh man, that's a bad thing to do to a right-brainer like me. Cheeks divided by tongues ...