• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Escargot Recipes?

Mano

We have a couple of tins of escargot and plan to use them this Saturday. I usually follow Craig Claiborn's NY Times cook book recipe and sometimes stuff them in mushrooms.

Any other recipes?

Thanks in advance.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Nothing fancy here but it's good.

1 clove garlic finely minced

3 oz butter softened (room temp)

8 oz Feta cheese

1 tsp Parsley chopped

Mix all well. Place escargots in shells, pack with mixture and broil.

I haven't treid this but you could wrap individual esgargots and mixture in puff pastry and bake.

You can pack them in Mussel shells as I have done here:

gallery_39290_2072_92238.jpg

Boil, skin-on smallest red potatoes, keep firm, slice top off, fill with the snails, top off with herbed galicky Boursin, bake in oven at the highest temp, serve with garlic toast points and Mache salad with french vinegairete

Peter

ChefCrash, those look terrific. The only problem is, my wife is lactose intolerant. :sad:

Peter, same concern, but I really like the idea of putting the escargot in something other than puff pastry or mushrooms.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

If you have one of those escargot serving dishes a nice twist on the typical French garlic butter and parsely sauce is to take butter, chopped cilantro, a squeeze of lime, and some finely chopped jalapenos. Essentially the same concept, but with different flavors.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

ChefCrash, those look terrific.  The only problem is, my wife is lactose intolerant.  :sad:

Peter, same concern, but I really like the idea of putting the escargot in something other than puff pastry or mushrooms.

You could try a sheeps milk feta ...no lactose I believe

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Mano, I have a couple of escargot recipes that I love. One in particular I have been making for over 20 years. I'd have to rewrite the recipes in order to post them to recipe gullet so I will email them to you.

The first , Escargot in Toast Cups is an appetizer that can be made cocktail size or can be made a little bit bigger and served as a first course.

And the second is little purses made with puff pastry and filled with Escargot and Stilton.

Ann