• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ming Tsai's Blue Ginger Line @ Super Target

johnsmith45678

I just saw an online ad for Ming Tsai's Blue Ginger line at Super Target. I've seen Ming Tsai cutting boards before, but his apparently new food line is news to me. There are coupons on Super Target's main page -- looks like there are entrees, appetizers, glazes...

I'll probably try them, if I ever get to Target (which I don't care for and very rarely shop at). But, for me, this cheapens my image of Ming in my mind. Just like when Michael Graves did a cheesy product line for them. But, hey, I'd likely do the same if there was enough cash! :raz:

http://sites.target.com/site/en/supertarge...upertarget_home

We have a great Super Target here, and I probably like it too much! It's where I get certain good produce that's harder to find elsewhere, like celery root, fennel, baby-sized vegetables, and fresh oriental ingredients... and, Smart Chicken! I'm not much for prepared meals, and I make most of my own sauces and glazes, so I probably wouldn't buy any of his line of foods. They have been on our Target shelves for quite a long time.

On a similar note, I went to Applebee's one night last week, and there was Tyler Florence on the cover of the menu.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Wow I didn't even know Targe sold fresh foods or the Ming Tsai sold anything but marinades and sauces outside of his restaurant.

Oh well, back under my rock I go.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

the Ming Tsai 'signature' ceramic knives are made by Kyocera; the chopping blocks are by Boos, I believe. Quality there is nothing to sneeze at.

For sauces and condiments, unless you have an oriental market nearby, or are willing to cook from scratch, having a trusted name and an authentic product readily available could bring novice chinese chefs to the next level ... not a bad thing at all.

Re the comparison to Tyler Florence, I view this as a different category. Ming is providing an ingredient and Target is a distribution network. The consumer still has to be involved in the final prep of the food, even if it's to microwave an entree (ideally, using his Master Recipes book, it's to get a leg up on a homemade meal) ... with Tyler Florence and Applebee's, the consumer places and order and is given a finished product -- no cooking, no involvement, no chance to learn ... Not at all the same.

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

The Blue Ginger line had been available at my local Super Target in Roswell, GA for a couple years now, but they seem to have decided to discontinue it. There are a few items left on clearance. I picked up some sesame oil for a very good price but its all gone now.

I didn''t realize this would have been news to everyone.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

There are a few items left on clearance. 

That was the case here, too, for awhile. But now it's all gone and there's no trace of Ming in the aisles anymore.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I just saw an online ad for Ming Tsai's Blue Ginger line at Super Target. I've seen Ming Tsai cutting boards before, but his apparently new food line is news to me. There are coupons on Super Target's main page -- looks like there are entrees, appetizers, glazes...

I'll probably try them, if I ever get to Target (which I don't care for and very rarely shop at). But, for me, this cheapens my image of Ming in my mind. Just like when Michael Graves did a cheesy product line for them. But, hey, I'd likely do the same if there was enough cash!  :raz:

http://sites.target.com/site/en/supertarge...upertarget_home

I agree I don't think starting a line for Target is the same thing as working for Applebee's, although in some ways they obviously are (appropriating something for mass consumption). The whole joy and philosophy of Target is that they have this democratic approach to providing 'designer' lines at low prices. Lots of top name folks are doing the same thing for them, so I actually admire Michael Graves et al for doing so. And I am a huge Target fan accordingly (even their contact lens solution bottles are chic). I wish I lived near a super Target which would be even better. That being said, the quality of some of the designed items are variable, given the price point, but at least they are trying to give everyone a shot at great stuff.

Applebee's though, blechh. Chain restaurant food isn't bad necessarily because of the recipes, it's the execution that is crap. Tyler Florence is wasting his time (aside from the huge paycheck). If he invented a brand new high quality Cafeteria chain, now THAT would be a cool idea.

the Ming Tsai 'signature' ceramic knives are made by Kyocera; the chopping blocks are by Boos, I believe. Quality there is nothing to sneeze at.

Yeah, his knives didn't get good reviews from America's Test Kitchen.

True, but that's because ceramic knives have a completely different weight and balance than steel knives... so, for example, if you expect the weight of the knife to help in cutting something ... isn't gonna happen. People either hate or love ceramics. Also, ceramic knives can't be sharpened at home -- have to send them into the factory (but only needed every 3-5 years) and ceramic blades are brittle -- if dropped on the blade, they can crack or chip ... on the other hand, they are incredibly sharp ... almost as good as my Mac knife ...

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

First off, I'll say that some of Target's food items are pretty darn good. For real. And I have respect for Ming -- he left FoodTV to do a PBS show that would allow him to play his own game. If he's doing a product for them, I'd say it'll be quality. Look at Target's reputation for comissioning REALLY high-end designers (Philippe Starck, Michael Graves). Those products are good products.

But, heck, look at the Martha Stewart kitchen stuff for K-Mart. It's actually really great, too. That's where my current rolling pin came from.

I don't inherently distrust these big chains -- they can put out some damn good stuff, and I'd bet Ming's line will be worthy of his name.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Yeah, his knives didn't get good reviews from America's Test Kitchen.

True, but that's because ceramic knives have a completely different weight and balance than steel knives... so, for example, if you expect the weight of the knife to help in cutting something ... isn't gonna happen. People either hate or love ceramics. Also, ceramic knives can't be sharpened at home -- have to send them into the factory (but only needed every 3-5 years) and ceramic blades are brittle -- if dropped on the blade, they can crack or chip ... on the other hand, they are incredibly sharp ... almost as good as my Mac knife ...

Yeah, IIRC they listed those disadvantages inherent to ceramic knives, plus I think things like it was too short, banged your knuckles, ...

But, heck, look at the Martha Stewart kitchen stuff for K-Mart.  It's actually really great, too.  That's where my current rolling pin came from.

Hey, I also have that pin.

On a similar note, I went to Applebee's one night last week, and there was Tyler Florence on the cover of the menu.

You have to post your results here if you had any of Tyler's entree's you know.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=93963

On the one hand:

I haven't eaten at Applebee's in years, but thought it was okay.

As for Target, they seem cheap and cheesy to me, and they're always more expensive than Walmart or Safeway or King Soopers or any other similar chain.

And on the other:

First off, I'll say that some of Target's food items are pretty darn good.  For real.  And I have respect for Ming -- he left FoodTV to do a PBS show that would allow him to play his own game.  If he's doing a product for them, I'd say it'll be quality.  Look at Target's reputation for comissioning REALLY high-end designers (Philippe Starck, Michael Graves).  Those products are good products.

But, heck, look at the Martha Stewart kitchen stuff for K-Mart.  It's actually really great, too.  That's where my current rolling pin came from.

I don't inherently distrust these big chains -- they can put out some damn good stuff, and I'd bet Ming's line will be worthy of his name.

I've checked out the Martha Stewart line at Kmart, and it does appear to be well made. And I got a pair of super-cheap reading glasses at Target that I couldn't use because they were sized to fit faces much smaller than my own (Chinese, perhaps? That's where these glasses were made. Oh, well; I was only out $1).

But on the whole, my impression has been that what Tar-zhay sells is on the whole a better value for the money, and certainly displays higher design values, than comparable merchandise from Kmart. (And I've found often enough that Target sells it for less.) That whole "Design for All" philosophy that Target promotes appears to me to be not just for show.

I wouldn't know from food at Target. The company operates no Super Target stores in this market, so the only food items they carry are nonperishable staples.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I've checked out the Martha Stewart line at Kmart, and it does appear to be well made. 

I have both the pin and the utensil set from this line and their quality match up with whatever you could get at W&S or SLT. Fortunately, here outside of Chicago the manufacturer of these items, as well as Batali's line, holds a tent sale every summer where you can get these for at least half off retail on most occasions

Flip

"Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy."

-Ben Franklin-

Regardless of quality, I won't buy Martha Stewart products for the same reason I won't buy Rachael Ray products. :P

I would have said the same thing once, back before the Justice Department (edited to add: and the Securities and Exchange Commission) made a martyr of her.

Edited further to add: But even back then, given her image, the fact that she chose to license her name to Kmart for a line of housewares and domestics earned her props in my book.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Regardless of quality, I won't buy Martha Stewart products for the same reason I won't buy Rachael Ray products. :P

I would have said the same thing once, back before the Justice Department (edited to add: and the Securities and Exchange Commission) made a martyr of her.

Edited further to add: But even back then, given her image, the fact that she chose to license her name to Kmart for a line of housewares and domestics earned her props in my book.

Ditto MarketSt. There's a difference between capitalizing on your talents and selling out. I haven't had a chance to try Ming's Target products. But keep in mind that his master recipes (and others) are not only available in his books for us to buy but they are on line where we can have them for free. Now people can choose to have the taste without the toil if they so choose. I don't see that as selling out. Is it selling out when a successful chef writes a book? or has a PBS tv show? Where's the tipping point?

As for Stewart, she's a quintissentional school marm, for better and worse, and she uncompromisingly emphasizes quality. She has an even more extensive recipe bank on line to accommodate those who haven't bought her books or mags. I must say I preferred her old show format when the celebrities were chefs rather than TV & movie stars.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I just have to say that I love Target, I love the Archer Farms products they have, I think that anytime a big store tries to raise the level of the food and products being offered, more power to them. I intend to check out some of Mings stuff as soon as I get time to cook again.

by the way, my wife Martha is going to target in a few mins....and they have a wine section now!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Target is like crack for me. I usually shop speciality, online, or in places like Wegmans or Whole Foods, so the snack and frozen food sections of Target are just full of stuff I never knew existed, stuff I didn't even think was culinarily possible. I never usually eat frozen or snack-type foods. Still, it's hard for me to resist trying all the crazy stuff anytime I go.

Anyway, thanks to this thread Ming Tsai's products beckoned. I had gotten some of his sauces from his restaurant as a gift a couple years ago, but this Target line a whole new beast.

Check it.

Shrimp Pad Thai; pretty tame if you ask me. But Cranberry Crab Rangoon; now that's what I'm talking about.

gallery_28496_3717_406395.jpg

I agree that Target's suppliers are of a much higher quality than your WalMart/KMart chains. I use the Super Target just outside my subdivision as my personal refrigerator - I stop in on my commute home every day depending on what I want for dinner that night. The Target brand Archer Farms is very good acroos the board in all aisles of the store.

The Blue Ginger line I spoke of was in their Oriental food section (dried goods and jars). Everything I got from the Blue ginger line was always very good. The packaging of Tsai's prepared product line is significantly different, so I easily could have overlooked it. I will double check in the other section tomorrow.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

My husband and I were at a lake house this weekend, and at SuperTarget buying supplies. Half price plus not having all my usual stuff plus late night plus Ming Tsai made the frozen entrees attractive. We tried Wonton Noodles w/ shrimp (mostly bok choy as the veggie) and Shrimp Pad Thai (carrots, red peppers and edamame as veggies). The sauce for the Wonton Noodles was not too exciting, but tasty enough, and the sauce for the Pad Thai was a nice peanut sauce, not anything I couldn't have figured out myself, but given the situation, just fine, thanks.

Nothing I'd buy on a regular basis, but just fine for the the time and place. Very Trader Joesesque. I would like a little more meat and veggie myself, but all in all it got dinner done.

Target is evil in it's addictivness! :raz: BryanZ, the crack comment is too accurate! :laugh:

Anne