• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interdit de Fumer!

raisab

Does anyone know if this includes the "outside" portion of cafes and restos - the terrasse?

Certainly in Ireland, smoking outdoors is fine. The definition of "outdoors" now has fairly strict definitions too! Lavish gazebo-esque structures with roofs, heating, TV screens etc. have been erected as smoking areas, and that's fine as long as the wall area is below some set proportion. The smokers are still being catered for quite admirably in many places.

Honestly, though, I could never understand why smoking wasn't banned in serious restaurants. My enjoyment of fine food is curtailed if all I can smell is cigarette smoke. Indeed, the sense of smell is such an important part of the sense of taste, I feel that cigarette smoke and haute cuisine go together like toothpaste and wine.

In any case, the smoking ban has been very successful here, despite the hand-wringing that preceded it. After all the talk of how the unique atmosphere of Irish pubs would be ruined, people very quickly realised that the unique atmosphere came from the people, not the smog.

Si