• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Supreme eG Baking and Pastry Challenge (Round 3)

gfron1

Bad news are: I seem to live in a pearl barley desert - so the popped barley will not happen.

Good news are: the concept has come together and I am looking very much forward to the home strech tomorrow to see if it works in real life :smile:

Edited to add: the next challengee has accepted and will be unveiled tomorrow

Edited by Mette (log)

So - I just got up from eating a lovely, multi item decounstructed beer dessert!!!

Cheers!

gallery_29514_3730_42535.jpg

Oh - is that a beer she is drinking ? You may ask. No it part of the deconstructed beer dessert.

When I first got the challenge, I thought 'Holy Cow' - deconstructed beer, but thanks to my lovely husband and some very talented people here at eGullet, it all came together in the end.

Here's the result:

gallery_29514_3730_5479.jpg

The items are: a smoked malt creme brulee, a cascade 'not-quite-beer', which is a cold citrus soup flavoured with cascade hops topped with a grapefruit/lime/hop sorbet, and finally 'the Brewpub bar', a chocolate bar with malted shortbread, chocolate malt ganache and beer marshmallow in milk chocolate.

After many a sleepless night (throw a few extra in for drama) I decided to go for a few, key ingredients and try to bring them out as much as possble. I went sniffing malts and hops to look for dessert like references:

The not-quite-beer: When you open a bag of dried cascade hops theres is a very clear smell of citrus, primarily grapefruit and lime which is where the sorbet ides came from - someone on the thead suggested doing someting that looks like a beer, and the sorbet looks like the top half of a beer, so I thought - a fruit soup and went for more citrus, this time with grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange and mandarine orange. It is a very nice, refreshing drink/dessert, and the citrus and hops supplement each other very well.

The creme brulee: Rauchmalt is smoked malt and smells quite smoked. I thought it would be complemented nicely by the brulee burnt sugar and be a nice contrats to all the freshnedd and sharpness of the not-quite-beer. The brulee is flavoured with rauchmalt syrup, and is nice and malty but as smoked as I had hoped. If I were to male it again, I would probably add a bit of very smoky whisky to bring the flavour out more.

Chocolate bar:

gallery_29514_3730_174674.jpg

In spite of the fact that beer and chocolate is a very obvious combination, I had to make some chocolate item, especially considering that chocolate malt smells of chocolate:huh: I'd already made the shortbread which is great, but a bit plain. With a chocolate malt syrup banache and a beer marshmallow on top, it makes for a nice chocolate bar, event though the balance between the components is a bit off - there ought to have been more ganache and marshmallow and less shortbread and chcolate covering - alas!

So, that was the result - thank ypu, gfron, for challenging me - it has been a really fun week, and thaks to Kerry Beal for starting this dessert madness.

I will post the recipes, probably tomorrow, and have a few more pics, especially re. ingredients, if anyone are interested.

I will now go and make public the next challenge

Mette, it looks great, especially the bar.. beer marshmellow, mmm..

I would be very much interested in seeing pictures of the ingredients such as

this

The not-quite-beer: When you open a bag of dried cascade hops

and this.

Rauchmalt is smoked malt and smells quite smoked.

Looks fabulous, I really did think you were sitting on the couch with a beer. Smokey malt brulee sounds so tasty and that bar looks wonderful.

Bravo!

Round 4 here.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I can't stop talking about your dessert - great job Mette! What I really like is that I can practically taste it in my mind, and if I can get the ingredients, its definitely something I'd like to make. Thanks for doing the challenge, and I like your challenge to Shalamese. A toast to Mette!

Mette: I may be the one who inspired the sorbet--or at least I said it would be interesting to replicate the foamy cap on beer. I was convinced that the marshmallow was to produce the foam.

What a lovely surprise! So intricate. Really am quite impressed by the three interacting components.

Now, would you kindly coat that chocolate bar in dark chocolate, please?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath