• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Three Star Restaurant

nypork

What is the best 3 star to visit? The only restriction I have is I would like to avoid any chef that has outlets in the US. Also any suggestions on good value places would be appreciated too!

Thanks

What is the best 3 star to visit? The only restriction I have is I would like to avoid any chef that has outlets in the US. Also any suggestions on good value places would be appreciated too!

Thanks

Ruling out Alain Ducasse and Guy Savoy because they have restaurants in the US, the remaining 7 are all good. Just depends on your dining preference. There is no one best.

I only have been to L'Arpege (the best) and Plaza Athenee (It's still worth the visit where all Ducasse's classic menu except Baba au Rhum are not available at ADNY). The rests are just my conjecture based on what I read and heard

For classic and conservative - ADPA (if you care very much about service and wine selections), Ledoyen (don't know much), Taillevent (great wine selections and quite reasonable price) and L'Ambroisie (got a lot of very + reviews - perhaps no degustation menu unless you design your own)

For modern and innovative - L'Arpege (great even when Passard is not in the kitchen, but very pricy - still worth it for me), Pierre Gagnaire (unbelievable when he's on form) and Guy Savoy (Not sure how much different compared to the one in Vegas)

The rests, I'm not very sure except that the decor of Le Cinq and Le Grand Vefour are luxurious, like the old French palace - I assume you may get a very formal service. Never heard much about the food, but pretty sure they will be good since the French are quite tough and selective when it comes to haute cuisine. Have fun there ...

I had lunch at l'Arpege recently and found it wonderful. Having said that it might not be the perfect choice for the first *** experience as it is somewhat atypical. Both service and the food are very restrained and extremely subtle. For me it was one of the most memorable meals ever, but I can see why not everybody leaves as happy as we did. For a first experience one of the more opulent places might be a better bet. I have not been at Le Grand Vefour very recently, but it certainly is "grand theatre" and a unique experience (sometimes bordering on the ridiculous, imho).

Hmm, you should really do some homework on your own to determine the best experience for YOU. Losing any kind of virginity is highly personal.

I can give you my own experiences and advice, but I suggest you learn as much as you can about each restaurant and high-end dining in France. Too many times I see people clearly unhappy and uncomfortable in places like Arpege and L'Ambroisie, not because those places weren't fantastic, but because the diners were not prepared.

I would not scorn Ducasse because he has a US outlet. ADPA is first rate traditional food with a modern presentation and flawless service, particularly for a first-time diner. L'Ambroisie is even better, but my first experience there was dismal. Not a place for a novice or someone who is not known to the kitchen. Do not, I repeat, not, try to suggest L'Ambroisie do a degustation menu for you. That goes completely against their cooking philosophy. L'Ambroisie, L'Arpege, and Ducasse are my favorites, but they are all very different. L'Arpege, as someone noted, is highly idiosyncratic with a vegetable focus. I see a lot of foreigners in deep water there.

Some friends visiting Paris for the first time took us to Grand Vefour, and I was horribly embarrassed. Terrible meal, even though I had a friend working in the kitchen. They use wonton wrappers for their famous ravioli. 'Nuff said.

My first three-star in Paris was at Taillevent 10 years ago, and it was absolutely perfect. Literally changed my life. The chef, Philippe Legendre, has since moved to Le Cinq, and I haven't gone for fear of disappointment. Some friends of ours got engaged there, but they were unhappy with the meal. Taillevent is still good, but maybe less luminous than before. Service and wine are impeccable.

Ledoyen was a beautiful, romantic restaurant, and we ate very nicely there. I'm not sure it rates 3 stars, however.

I don't know, but Pierre Gagnaire has never done it for me. Intellectually he's all right, but the food leaves me emotionally cold. I don't like his other projects any better.

hmmm, I remember the famous foie gras ravioli at Le Grand Vefour indeed. I had been salivating for weeks in anticipation, but both filling and pasta were disappointing. Wonton wrappers would explain half of it.....

The rest of the meal was very good, but lacked that little extra of inspiration you expect at ***. Only the (was it quail or pigeon?) broth and the cheeseplate (!) were truly extraordinary.

But the dining room is very special. And we had a good laugh as the tailed and white gloved service brigade treated me all night as the "lady".........I got a priceless menue, and ,despite me paying that night, the check, CC, receipt etc were always brought back to my dining companion......and I swear I was not in drag.

I also want to very much second Culinista's point: Check out as much as you can about the different options, and get a feel for which place speaks to you regarding kitchen philosophy and decor.

Well I did my personal homework and listened to a few and so far I have reservations for Taillevent and Pierre Gagniere both for lunch. I really need a solid diner included in my trip-any comments on Cinc?

To Culinista or others who have been to L'Ambroisie,

What would you suggest people ordering if they go to L'Ambroisie for the first time since there is no degustation menu I suppose? Ordering 3-4 separate ala carte at the 3* restaurants would easily blow up the price? Are we allowed to order half dish and tailored our own menu? Just curious, thanks

To Culinista or others who have been to L'Ambroisie,

What would you suggest people ordering if they go to L'Ambroisie for the first time since there is no degustation menu I suppose? Ordering 3-4 separate ala carte at the 3* restaurants would easily blow up the price? Are we allowed to order half dish and tailored our own menu? Just curious, thanks

I would go to L'ambroisie and ask them to choose 3 savory courses and one dessert for you.

If you let them know that you will be confident in their selections because you want the best they have to offer that particular evening, i feel it the best way to maximize your experience here.

I agree with Culinista that this is not a restaurant for a first time *** experience. One will benefit by knowing what to expect. There is alot of info out there.