• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bravo's Top Chef Season 2

KristiB50

I agree. The most exasperating part of Marcel's immaturity is his inability to own his mistakes and his scrambling to the front of the line whenever there's praise being given out. He's happy to throw Sam under the bus when in fact the dude saved his ass, or to diss Ilan, but I actually cheered when Mikey said "I'm not the one competing for 100 grand here. You tell ME where the f-ing fish is dude!"

Marcel is all about the gimmickry. All he cared about was making those stupid vinaigrette capsules. He planned the menu around the techniques he wanted to showcase, not the food he should have been showcasing. And it proved to be his undoing. The idiotic vinaigrette capsules didn't come out in the humidity. And even if they had, he still would have had a blob of dressing come out once the judges "popped" the capsules and lay on top of an otherwise undressed and completely uninspiring green salad. The coffee caviar was cool, but there wasn't enough of it to actually flavor the dessert. Hopefully he'll have enough self realization to have learned something from losing and seeing how it played out on tape.

In the end, like many of you, I would have preferred a Sam v Ilan showdown, but it was not to be. At least I'm happy with the results. The Top Chef won.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

:blink: Well, I'm prolly in the minority when I say that "Mikey" might have sabotaged Marcel.... I think the missing gelee and fish were a pretty big mystery. It's not like we haven't seen the request for "compensation" in these types of challenges before. I was surprised and disappointed in Mikey's comments.

Not that I liked Marcel, by a good margin. But I think Illan's "friend" Elia did far more than Marcel's sous chefs did.

I would've voted for Sam, if given the chance. Or at least for TONY! :wub:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

did anyone catch the post-show interview on bravotv.com?  Is it just me or did Marcel appear to be , umm, slightly less than sober?

Oh man, Marcel was fubar! Not that I blame him. He had to spend all day with Ilan, then watch himself get beaten, THEN answer viewer questions.

I read Padma's blog this morning, and she pretty deftly skewered Ilan, itemizing the recipes he stole from Casa Mono. He simply cooked the same food he's been preparing day in and day out, and are the concepts and creations of another chef.

Marcel had high praise for Michael, said he was glad he picked him, and would pick him again. Not so much Sam. I took it just the opposite of some here. I think Sam jumped forward to take credit for a dish that was conceived by Marcel, and even though it lacked a main component, was still a judges favorite.

If I had to pick one of the two (both lame) to be a success in the long run, it would have to be Marcel. At least he is interested in food and flavors and what can be done with them, as opposed to Ilan. Sam has a lot of growing up to do. Elia is just destined to be a bitter human being. Cliff screwed the pooch and I was and still am very dissappointed in him.

They should have kept Josie around longer.

I'm swearing off Season 3 now, but I'll probably watch the train wreck again when the time comes.

I hate being Bravo's bitch.

Edit: I also didn't like Ilan's slam of Harold from Season 1. Ilan can't shine Harold's shoes.

Edited by annecros (log)

Yuck! Yuck! YUCK!.

What a mess. Mr. I brought my eels from Spain wins? What's with the judges complaining about how he is one dementional but then kissing his backside.

Marcel, I think, if he had not been such a turd to everyone might have had a better shot.

A couple of things I don't understand, if you find to containers of ingredients that were not on the rack wouldn't you, knowing that would not be able to return to the main fridge because you would be too busy to go back and the main fridge too far away, STOP and inventory your ingredients before leaving the building. Isn't that what responsible Chefs do?

I think Marcel lost it right there when he blamed his help for the missing fish. Its his show, its his probem. While he kind of redeemed himself when he said Sam helped him out when the could not locate the fish, he then kicks himself in the A when he starts ranting about how Sam wanted to be in his shoes, lack of motiviation blah, blah, blah.

Watching the second season it appears that the judges could go either way until they speak to the other team members and then the contestants.

Both Tiffany and Marcel appear to have tanked themselves with the way they treat people and when they opened thier mouth in the end.

Then again is it just a strugggle of Good v. Evil? Nah, its just Bravo TV.

It think it would have been more interesting to see Marcel take Frank on his team.

In the end Illan talking trash about Harold, yeah he may appear dull but so what, please go back to your eels and shut up!

Now Top Design that's some GOOD TV!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I think the judges' decision was just right. Marcel may be destined for greatness, but right now he's not "there".

How do you forget a main ingredient? Plus he had to go back and get several others. His attitiude in the kitchen was frantic and he took some of the credit when Sam saved his ass.

Granted, plenty of chefs are asses to work for, but they "earned" that they didn't start out that way or else they never would've risen in the ranks. And people like working for them because they are human.

Plenty of sour grapes on Marcel's part and still that unrealistic self-appraisel that will be his downfall. One must learn from such an experience, not bad mouth the judges or fellow contestants.

That whole perfection rap was straight out of Thomas Keller and sounded hollow coming from someone who thinks he is perfect.

I actually have always thought Marcel got a bad rap and that Ilan was the arrogant one. In my mind, Marcel is an inspired chef. He learns technique and applies them to the local ingrediants. He is not satisfied by a dish, knowing that even done well, with additional thought and work, it could be done better.

I think Sam and Mike comments help the judges make their decission. Yes a chef must be prepare great food, but he also has to direct a staff and Mikes answers suggested otherwise (and yes I think Sam took too much credit for just saying, dude, do the dish as you planned but without the fish).

Personally, I would enjoy cooking and learning with Marcel.

The good guy vs bad guy-loaner build up is too predictable. Whether Marcel was good enough or not Bravo had to create major drama, rivalry and hatred to keep the masses interested. You knew the bad guy would make it to the final (just like last season). I wonder how much of the show is "massaged" by Bravo to form the personalities/rivalries.

That said, it seemed clear to me that Marcel's dishes received higher praise. He took alot more chances and his food was presented better. The fact that he was a social outcast, selfish, couldn't delegate, give credit, take criticism or get respect from was obviously his downfall.

Bottom line, the more likable/good guy has to win.

Still, I love the show and will watch as long as it runs........how could you not?

:smile:

That wasn't chicken

I'm going to chime in on the thought-Marcel-should-have-won side. Sometimes I think I've been watching a different show from those who thought Marcel was so annoying. He may not be the nicest person in the world, and he is certainly young and needs to work on his people skills, but overall I found him to be much more mature and honest than Ilan, who I find so vile I can barely stand to look at him.

I also think Marcel has it over Ilan in terms of the food. I have no doubt that Ilan is a very good cook, and that his dishes in the challenge were delicious. I can cook delicious food too. What I can't do, and what Marcel can obviously do better than Ilan, is cook creative dishes that represent personality and a viewpoint. Marcel has something to say. Ilan is just a good messenger. Even if Marcel had a few more problems with execution, I think he is a better "chef" than Ilan.

Yuck! Yuck! YUCK!.

What a mess. Mr. I brought my eels from Spain wins?

Yeah, I know. He brought canned seafood to an Island! And he was so proud of it! He thought it was a special surprise! He honestly believed he was thinking outside the box with that one.

Well, good luck to him in his Kenmore Kitchen, with his Nestle chocolate and Kraft jars of stuff, and I am sure he will be getting lots of Caphalon and ride around in his Rav4 and toss Gladware stuffed with leftover canned eels in the back.

I know the product placement is necessary, but have mercy Bravo. At least get a knife manufacturer to sponser so these people don't have to lug around an extra bag.

I bet that was a fun day for airport security.

Maybe the Swiss Army Knife people can sponsor a challenge next season? That would be fun - taking away all the tools and torturing the cheftestants by requiring them to prepare a meal with a Swiss Army Knife. I'd have to tune in.

I'm going to chime in on the thought-Marcel-should-have-won side.  Sometimes I think I've been watching a different show from those who thought Marcel was so annoying.  He may not be the nicest person in the world, and he is certainly young and needs to work on his people skills, but overall I found him to be much more mature and honest than Ilan, who I find so vile I can barely stand to look at him.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I also think Marcel has it over Ilan in terms of the food.  I have no doubt that Ilan is a very good cook, and that his dishes in the challenge were delicious.  I can cook delicious food too.  What I can't do, and what Marcel can obviously do better than Ilan, is cook creative dishes that represent personality and a viewpoint.  Marcel has something to say.  Ilan is just a good messenger.  Even if Marcel had a few more problems with execution, I think he is a better "chef" than Ilan.

Several of Ilan's recipes (or elements thereof) were cribbed from Andy Nusser's menu at Casa Mono, so I bet you could have done as well if you'd executed those dishes hundreds of times too :smile:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Several of Ilan's recipes (or elements thereof) were cribbed from Andy Nusser's menu at Casa Mono, so I bet you could have done as well if you'd executed those dishes hundreds of times too :smile:

Several?! You're too kind! Shall we do a list?

-Fideos

-Pan con tomate (which he did TWICE)

-The tortilla in the breakfast challenge

-Sweetbread dish from the offal challenge

-croquetas from the catering challenge

-everything "a la plancha" from the catering challenge

-Bay leaf "bunuelos"

-corn with bacon (from another Mario restaurant)

-paella (Not on the casa mono menu but an obvious safebet and lack of creativity)

Even the pasta dish from the raw food challenge was similar to the pasta dishes served at a raw food joint that's literally in a building connected to Casa Mono. HA!

If you think that this was a smart move on Ilan's part - to play it safe and go with what you know - stop for a minute and be honest with yourself. If Marcel had decided to play it safe as well and rely on replicas of Robuchon's dishes (he did once with the frogs' legs and that was enough) people would be screaming that he was an unimaginative cheater.

Ilan's attitude towards food "I cook with soul... I cook with what's market-driven" come off as terribly affected - like perfect catch phrases from a politician. They're everything the public wants to hear because it's popular and it worked.

(edited because I am the queen of typos plus I keep remembering more dishes!)

Edited by gingersweetiepie (log)

Several?! You're too kind! Shall we do a list?

-Fideos

-Pan con tomate (which he did TWICE)

-Sweetbread dish from the offal challenge

-croquetas from the catering challenge

-everything "a la plancha" from the catering challenge

-Bay leaf "bunuelos"

-corn with bacon (from another Mario restaurant)

-paella (Not on the casa mono menu but an obvious safebet and lack of creativity)

Even the pasta dish from the raw food challenge was similar to the pasta dishes served at a raw food joint that's literally in a building connected to Casa Mono. HA!

If you think that this was a smart move on Ilan's part - to play it safe and go with what you know - stop for a minute and be honest with yourself. If Marcel had decided to play it safe as well and rely on replicas of Robuchon's dishes (he did once with the frogs' legs and that was enough) people would be screaming that he was an unimaginative cheater.

Ilan's attitude towards food "I cook with soul... I cook with what's market-driven" some off as terribly affected - like perfect catch phrases from a politician. They're everything the public wants to hear because it's popular and it worked.

Good points Gingersweetiepie.. With those recipes and Ella cooking, he was in good hands.

strictly my opinion, and I will start off saying that Sam really showed to be a strong contender from the beginning and should have been Top Chef. Marcel, as much as I don't want to like him, should have won. He thought "out of the box" and did good food that the judges liked. WD was excited over a couple of his dishes, which should sort of show for something. Ilan the baby, who really needed to be slapped around a few times, didn't think out of the box, had better support from his sous chefs, and yes, I'll admit a more likable guy. I think Marcel summed it up with regard to the support that he had from his team members, when he said "I didn't come here to make friends", that is totally true, and while that was the case, and in a perfect world, everyone would have gotten along, they were all competing with each other, and personally, they were probably jealous of Marcel's talent and confidence, and just didn't want to like him. Yes, I will admit that Marcel can be a little weird at times.

I think that Mikey especially, looked like a jack ass, you would go a lot further to just suck it up and do everything you can do help your teammate win, you never know who may or may not offer you a job in the future. You should have put in 110% and not 85%, that I seemed to witness. Sam started off with the right attitute, I want to learn from Marcel, etc..but then seemed to fall off towards the end, maybe attributed towards bitterness, I don't know.

Overall, Ilan in NO WAY compares to the talents of Harold D. from first season, and won't go as far, if he is going to just do copy cat recipes and keep his little school boy attitude that he's got. Harold set the bar really high, and it is my feeling that it will be hard to cross it.

Again, just my opinion. Thanks!

Overall I have been terribly disappointed with this season. I found myself fast forwarding through all of the bickering and embarrassing behavior and just watching the dishes come out and the end of the judges' table. I felt like though Marcel was prickly and difficult to get along with but he was above the fray and didn't resort to playing the very childish game. Padma said it best when she said in her blog that the other contestants had made Marcel their "Piggy" in their own version of Lord of the Flies.

I thought Sam should have been in the final, despite his involvement in the Marcel bashing. He did seem to be able to take some risks and come up with some creative dishes (watermelon nastiness aside). Ilan and Elia both behaved in very unprofessional ways and I felt like they both had a lot of growing up to do.

I keep saying I won't watch next season (I said that about Hell's Kitchen too and I watched the amazingly crappy second season anyway). Maybe Bravo will have a better pool of contestants. We can only hope. Oh, and I don't get the Padma bashing either. I think she is gorgeous and she definitely has some food chops of her own. I love that she stood up to Tom's ignorant remark about Sam not cooking anything in the first part of the finale. She definitely did not come across as wooden and soulless as did Katie Joel.

Edited by ms. victoria (log)

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

He actually gave Michael a lot of credit for that dish for his input. They are going to be done here next month preparing it as a team at an F&W event.

He actually gave Michael a lot of credit for that dish for his input. They are going to be done here next month preparing it as a team at an F&W event.

Michael's idea was risotto, Ilan turned it into a paella.

Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Has Ilan ever lived and/or worked in Spain, or did he learn everything he knows from The Monkey House? His bio says that he has only worked in NYC.

For me, Ilan loses all credibility when he said that he didn't come with any preconceived notions of what he was going to do. Admit that you are preparing what you know -- there's nothing with playing it smart and safe.

Ilan can cook, Marcel can create.

I guess I don't understand why everyone slams Ilan for falling back on the stuff he knows from Casa Mono and praises Marcel for his creativity. Isn't he just as guilty for falling back on foams and other molecular gastronomy devices? It's not as if he invented isomalt. It seemed to me that he planned his meals around techniques, not around the food. That doesn't seem very inspired to me.

Personally I am not a fan of either of those two and only intermittently watched the show last night (I flipped back and forth between TC and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. Maybe they could get Oompa Loompas as judges on TC. They could put together a catchy little number while slamming the contestants). :laugh:

All he cared about was making those stupid vinaigrette capsules.  He planned the menu around the techniques he wanted to showcase, not the food

The funny thing is that if he knew what he was doing he could have pulled it off. Too hummid? Go to the least humid place in the shop--- the walk in.

I think he huffed one too many of his NO3 bulbs.

Living hard will take its toll...

That whole perfection rap was straight out of Thomas Keller and sounded hollow coming from someone who thinks he is perfect.

I thought that sounded like Keller or Ruhlman.

Living hard will take its toll...

All he cared about was making those stupid vinaigrette capsules.  He planned the menu around the techniques he wanted to showcase, not the food

The funny thing is that if he knew what he was doing he could have pulled it off. Too hummid? Go to the least humid place in the shop--- the walk in.

I think he huffed one too many of his NO3 bulbs.

I think that supports Collichios "not done" appraisal of the chefs.

Would the walk in have saved him from condensation on the cold capsules at plate time? I honestly don't know.