• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bravo's Top Chef Season 2

KristiB50

two things: it seems to me (though, with the editing, its impossible to tell) that marcel was describing his dish in "molecular" detail as he was finishing plating...giving him extra time to get the food out, while he blah-blah-blahed about the agar agar (or whatevah)...anyone else wind up with that impression?

and two, my tivo stopped tivoing right at the subtitled smack down, where ilan threatened to make marcel cry...was there a witty retort, or just an equally childish nyah-nyah?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

two things: it seems to me (though, with the editing, its impossible to tell) that marcel was describing his dish in "molecular" detail as he was finishing plating...giving him extra time to get the food out, while he blah-blah-blahed about the agar agar (or whatevah)...anyone else wind up with that impression?

and two, my tivo stopped tivoing right at the subtitled smack down, where ilan threatened to make marcel cry...was there a witty retort, or just an equally childish nyah-nyah?

Marcel: Mano a mano.

Ilan: I'm going to make you cry.

Marcel: It'll take more than paprika to make me cry

Ilan: I've got more than paprika in my knife bag.

:shock:

Ilan is ascard of the nerd, and must keep his testosterone level up, I think.

Marcel just looked kind of weirded out.

Please let there NOT be a season 3.

Oh, there'll be a season 3, all right. Open casting call this Sunday at the French Culinary Institute in NYC. Despite what we think of Season 2, Bravo knows it's got a hit, or we wouldn't all be discussing it for this many pages. :)

I'm very disappointed with the judges decision. My family is from Hawaii and there are many many many foods that aren't "cooked"!! lord- didn't Sam actually win a quick fire for a ceviche he made one time???? grrrr!

That was weird.

It's too bad the episode was so full of personal crap, because (dumb complaints about the no cooking aside) this was one of the more interesting ideas for a challenge, especially towards the end. It kind of leveled the field and gave them a fresh start, especially as none of them seemed to have been into Hawaiian food before. Much better than that Napa thing where Dave got past Lee Anne (grr).

Note to self: Always remember that it's all about "makin' TEE-VEE".

I have to re-watch each episode because during the initial broadcast my girlfriend and I are generally chattering like a couple of rejects from MTV’s “My Super Sweet 16”, going on about what’s “real” and what’s “editing”. So about thirty minutes into last night’s episode, I made a comment along the lines of “wouldn’t it be funny if all the Ilan vs. Marcel slap-fight drama was the real clue to the final two contestants?”.

I’ve had a pretty good track record this season when it comes to guessing who is getting kicked off, so I’m starting to get a good bead on what it takes to be a reality tv editor. When next season rolls around I’m going to set some goals for myself, and if I can guess enough of the outcomes correctly I’ll celebrate at the end of the season by splurging on one of those fancy Ken Onion Series Shun chef’s knives………………………………………and killing myself with it.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

When next season rolls around I’m going to set some goals for myself, and if I can guess enough of the outcomes correctly I’ll celebrate at the end of the season by splurging on one of those fancy Ken Onion Series Shun chef’s knives………………………………………and killing myself with it.

:laugh::laugh:

Did anyone else think Padma was very drunk at the beginning of the judging?

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

First off, how Padma is an improvement over Katie Lee is beyond me. They are both attarative and both have the personality of a carboard box. Couldn't they get someone respectable in there? Maybe have LeAnne from TC1 take over the hosting duties. She is personable, funny, and knows her stuff.

On to last nights episode. I am really pulling for Marcel. I think I disliked him at the beginning as everyone else did but he has maintained the high-road throughout this season. He may get on people's nerves but nobody has come close to getting him to crack. Even in last week's episode when nobody wanted to help him plate his stuff, he just kept going. Marcel may have overused foams and other elements of molecular gastronomy throught the competition, last night was the ultimate showcase for his cuisine and I had a hunch he would be one of the finalists.

What I find really funny is many posters (not really on EG but on Bravo's forum) are going on about how Marcels food was no good or how Sam is a better chef. How people can make these determinations from watching the very limited amount of time the show actually dedicated to technique and cooking and the fact that none of the posters tasted a single morsel created by the contestants is lost on me.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

It was good to see Marcel actually perform up to his own vision of himself in his mind. That food looked good, and the salmon looked especially good to me, though everybody forcused on his other dish. I think the bahaviour of the others, for once, was demonstrably a result of jeolosy or envy of Marcel. They saw his food and may have even tasted it, and were scared. He was obviously the hands down winner when you saw the judges and crowd enjoying his food. The goal was to take the local cuisine, and make it your own. He did exactly that, and still managed to serve a taste of Hawaii. He found an approprate venue in which to express his vision and skills, stayed focused on what he was doing and not on what everyone else was doing, and displayed no fear to the bullies, so good on him.

What was that talking too much about the food thing they were yammering about? Marcel was obviously excited about the ingredients, excited with what he had donw with them, and was sharing his enthusiasm with the people he was feeding. Been there, done that. Pretty pathetic that Sam and Ilan encouraged Elia to launch a protest, then letting her hang out there on a limb in front of the judges. Cheating is a serious charge, and either he did or he didn't.

:rolleyes:

How many times can they possibly demonstrate immature, unprofessional and unethical behaviour to a prominent, well respected Chef? And to millions of people all over the country.

I would have rather seen Sam/Marcel in the finals, but I have never tasted the food. If they wanted to go for drama, they should have made it an Elia/Ilan final. There would have been whining, and crying, and backstabbing, and gnashing of teeth and both would have melted down and done something childish and/or stupid to themselves or one another. The food would have sucked, though.

Sam's coconut milk dessert will make it to my table also, I suspect. This is one of the few episodes that left me wanting to cook the food.

I can't believe that Sam was eliminated from Top Chef 2. He was all season the strongest leader and best chef on the show. That fact that the producers kicked him off to favor a more dramatic season finally makes me sick. The show should be about who is the best chef not who and argue more. Sam was the Top Chef on the show!!!  GRRRRR 

Edited by Polar Bear (log)

Everybody keeps asking "What IS a Master Chef, anyway?"    Is this what it means on Marcel's screen tag?

http://www.foodtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=50700

He refers to him self as a Master Cook, not the same thing. As far as I can tell it is the title of a software package as well as a Union designation. It is only meaningful to him and the payroll department, nothing more.

Living hard will take its toll...

Its interesting I watched the cable, "watch what happens next" after the show and it was Sam and Tom.

Sam corrected Tom on his comment he didn't cook anything and reminded him he cooked the coconut dessert and the cookie.

Both said Marcel's food was really good. Something we the viewers will never know.

Illan got it because he was brave enough to use ti leaves and no one else was.

I agree, Pamda was toasted, the fact she was dismissed by almost everyone there was sad. I wonder if she will come back after that display.

Marcel apparently got hit in the face by a fan in Vegas and ended up with 30 stiches, now that is unneccessary.

I don't understand why Illan when they point out in deliberations that he has not moved out of Spanish food land the entire contest, with the exception of this one episode, so reward him and send the guy with the best skills home? I don't get it. The Sam/Marcel show would have been just as dramatic.

This season was kind of sad. I hope they do it again, but perhaps this time they can scare up a few more talented contestants. With this country as big as it is, this is the best they can come up with?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Everybody keeps asking "What IS a Master Chef, anyway?"    Is this what it means on Marcel's screen tag?

http://www.foodtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=50700

He refers to him self as a Master Cook, not the same thing. As far as I can tell it is the title of a software package as well as a Union designation. It is only meaningful to him and the payroll department, nothing more.

A master cook is a designation of a level of station cook used in some kitchens with a large brigade. I had a student last semester who did his internship at Nob Hill in Vegas and they also have master cooks. You have a certain amount of work time invested in a kitchen, then you take a test/practical and if you pass it makes you a master cook. You probably get a bit more $$, vacation etc... the restaurant gets less turnover, something that is always good.

I KNEW I had seen Padma somewhere before!! She was in that god-awful movie Glitter with Mariah Carey!!!! :wacko:

I don't know what to think... why did they have to throw that last minute dig at Judge's table against Marcel? Desperation? stupidity? And it was so half-ass.. if you are going to accuse someone of cheating (ala Betty and the pavlovas), you better have some facts to back it up.. not "Um, well..."

I'm kind of glad that Sam didn't make it.... I can't explain why though

And I'm hot/cold with Elia not making it.. I like her personality and spark and creativity.. but that poke looked atroucious and had nothing Hawaiian about it...

Oh and her crack about not every having authentic Hawaiian food because it's not readily available is crap... Las Vegas has the HIGHEST population of Hawaiians outside of Hawaii! And Hawaiian style delis and restaurants are all over the valley... In fact tomorrow night I am dragging my butt over to L & L Barbecue after work because they do the best macaroni salad anywhere.. and no Hawaiian meal is complete without macaroni salad! :raz:

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

Oh wow, they just posted the previews on the Bravo site for next week.

Sam and Mike will be assisting Marcel. And, get this, it looks like Elia and Betty are assisting Ilan.

Hehe.

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef_2/videos/index.php?id=58214

ETA: AND a Farmer's Market with no budget.

Edited by annecros (log)

Illan got it because he was brave enough to use ti leaves and no one else was.

Well, he used taro leaves and Elia used ti leaves, so I thought it was silly that they made this distinction. He boiled taro and no one else did, that was much riskier. But the judges kept bringing up the freakin' leaves.

The "didn't cook anything" and "played it safe" were totally trumped up to get Sam out of there. If he were in the final he would win; they didn't want him to win (too Haroldesque); so he couldn't be in the finale. Ergo, the lame-ass Marcel-Ilan grudge match, which I will not watch.

I agree with whoever said earlier that Ilan just keeps cooking off the Casa Mono menu. Saffron is lovely, but it's not a culinary vision, it's just saffron.

Really unhappy with how this season has turned out.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Earlier I mentioned a response from Bravo about the out-of-order editing. I had called in to the after program, and asked the question during the "after after" segment (which has just been posted).

However, the question and response were edited out, so I can't get a more precise wording.

Marcel apparently got hit in the face by a fan in Vegas....

Apparently not a fan of Marcel. :raz:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

is there going to be a reunion show like last year?

Midgley says no in an interview.

Unrelated, but I just read a spoiler and found out who the winner is.

UGGGGHHHHH I hate myself.

This show has lost all credibility this season. Tom, Gail and Food and Wine ought to bow out now and save their dignity. Let Rachael Ray and Good Housekeeping come in as judges and sponsors.

It's an uggghhh either way for me.

Unsurprising about the lack of a reunion show. With this bunch? Dignity went out the window some time ago. Good/bad reality TV, though, appears to be thriving.

At least that preview shows food. Pretty food.

Edited by hsm (log)

Pot Head?

Padma Lakshmi allegedly enjoys smoking pot on set, giving a whole new meaning to the term “Quickfire Challenge” — see, cause she’s allegedly lighting up a joint instead of a stove! Anyway. Exactly how often this happened is disputed, though we were assured it was allegedly “fairly regularly.”

is there going to be a reunion show like last year?

Midgley says no in an interview.

Unrelated, but I just read a spoiler and found out who the winner is.

UGGGGHHHHH I hate myself.

This show has lost all credibility this season. Tom, Gail and Food and Wine ought to bow out now and save their dignity. Let Rachael Ray and Good Housekeeping come in as judges and sponsors.

Umm, if it is the same spoiler that was emailed to me today, from folks who eat in Los Angeles, it is fairly ambiguous.

"Right on the money." When both of the alternatives were offered? If past behaviour is any indication of future performance, I believe one alternative is as possible as the other.

Wasn't Betty discussed as an individual who refused a reunion show? I hope nothing awful happened to her, to put her off.

Pot Head?
Padma Lakshmi allegedly enjoys smoking pot on set, giving a whole new meaning to the term “Quickfire Challenge” — see, cause she’s allegedly lighting up a joint instead of a stove! Anyway. Exactly how often this happened is disputed, though we were assured it was allegedly “fairly regularly.”

Hehe.

I really can't hold that against Padma if she does, allegedly. I sort of like her, not sure why.