• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bravo's Top Chef Season 2

KristiB50

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!

There. Now I feel better.

I can't believe that hack chemist Marcel has made it to the finals. He's all technique and no soul whatsoever. I'm surprised he can see his reflection in a mirror.

The head to head matchup of bitter rivals has Smackdown/Great TV written all over it, and I wonder if the results weren't a foregone conclusion. No surprise that Elia didn't make it to the final, much as I love her. And her last minute smack talking about Marcel did more to damage herself than it did him, although she was clearly out of the competition already. I would have much preferred to see a Sam v Ilan final that would have showcased some real talent and passion.

Anyone else?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

During the deliberation, they were undecided between Sam and Ilan, and all of a sudden, they drop Sam and keep Marcel? Obviously, it's being done for the drama. I also completely disagree with Colicchio when he gives Sam less credit for his dishes just because "he didn't cook anything."

Marcel didn't "cook" his pineapple poi either. He just stirred Xanthan gum into it, let it thicken and called it poi. :wacko:

Marcel is a hack. Sam deserved to be in the final.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

As much as I can understand why Marcel rubs people the wrong way, I am fascinated by the number of diehard Ilan fans out there. Aside from the gaggles of girls who think he's just a silly harmless cutie-pie - mind-blowing in itself considering how the producers portray him - plenty of viewers on other boards are pulling for him based on his own merits. To me, who is head over heels in love with Casa Mono, his performace on the show is at best good, not great.

Regardless, I'm surprised that it came down to these two. They're both relatively green and don't seem ready to take on the title of "chef" in any kitchen I can think of.

So, there is an answer from Bravo as to the out-of-order airing. It is, paraphrased, "we condensed the whole night into 2 minutes, and the integrity of the story was not affected at all".

I disagree, and will simply avoid any Bravo based reality programming, since I have no reason to trust what I see.

My God, the whining tonight! Seriously, that crap at the end was nothing more than tattling "He wasn't nice to me!" I work with preschool-thru-elementary aged kids, so I know me some tattling when I see it.

"He's been cheating all along!" Really? Then why didn't you say something before now? Where's your proof? If you have proof of cheating, then say so. Otherwise, shut up. And for God's sake, Elia, stop talking about how you were Marcel's only friend when you've been badmouthing him as much as everyone else. Also, cut it out with the "Some people" routine. When there's only four of you, and three of you don't like the other guy, it's pretty obvious who you mean. At least have the stones to own your tattling. Even my littlest kids will at least name names. :biggrin:

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

After the last episode, everyone who I liked, besides Elia and Mike, I now dislike. Sam was a bit of a jerk who in fact just needs to grow up (ie. he thinks he's super mature and he's not), Ilan is boring and not that great of a chef, Cliff for the first time came off as a very cold person and clearly had not idea how to handle the front of the house (he probably just didn't want to be stuck in the back of the house with Marcel).

The fact that they kicked Mike off for forgetting olive pit bowls is ridiculous.

And Kraft?! Please people, have some class.

And, of course, Bravo Network just has to add the "interior decorating" element to it, which served no purpose...

Also, rather than blaming the olive pit on the lack of dishes bought by Michael, they should have gone after the person who bussed the table.

To quote a post from another site:

The fact that all these jerks let Marcel's toolishness get under their skin are way more indicative of their own toolishness than Marcel's. They let Cliff assault him and did not interfere, resorted to baseless accusations and childish rants, made faces while Marcel was presenting his own dish...Personally, I don't think Marcel is top chef material, but at this point, he looks better than the other slime balls.

Apparently Ilan, Elia and Sam learned nothing from the "hairgate" episode. I wonder how they feel now knowing Colicchio wanted them sent packing and Marcel awarded the winner by default. I can't imagine darkening the door of the three "slime balls" places of employment. I imagine they are all too stupid to feel any kind of embarrassment regarding their behavior.

Do we know for sure if there is another season of Top Chef taking place? Ugh.

:angry:

As much as I can understand why Marcel rubs people the wrong way, I am fascinated by the number of diehard Ilan fans out there.  Aside from the gaggles of girls who think he's just a silly harmless cutie-pie - mind-blowing in itself considering how the producers portray him - plenty of viewers on other boards are pulling for him based on his own merits.  To me, who is head over heels in love with Casa Mono, his performace on the show is at best good, not great.

But that's just it: it's pretty hard to be very impressed with Ilan if you realize how many of his dishes, particularly his most successful ones, come straight off Andy Nusser's menu at Casa Mono. (Which is indeed pretty awesome.) What I don't get is how the three NYC-based judges manage not to call him on it. They talk all the time about his "Spanish restaurant in New York," and how "maybe we'd like to see Ilan move beyond just doing Spanish flavors," but never, "maybe we'd like to see Ilan stop making the same dishes he made twenty times every single day at his job, which are not even traditional Spanish dishes but rather the creations of another chef."

Marcel was damn lucky to make it through to this episode, but at least it's nice to see that when he's not restricted to home pantry ingredients and the selection of appliances available at show sponsor Sears, for God's sake, he can turn out well-conceived and executed modern food. A bit of a shock to see Sam go despite being clearly the strongest contestant over the entire season (aside from the whole watermelon-with-asiago-and-cabrales fiasco--which I am apparently one of two people in the world to think might actually be a good idea, although it sure did plate ugly--did he ever screw up?). I guess if Ilan's taro leaf, morcilla and squid dish was as good as the judges' blogs say, it's possible he deserved to go on to the finale. At least it's not on the menu at CM.

Edited by Dave H (log)

It was good to see Marcel actually perform up to his own vision of himself in his mind. That food looked good, and the salmon looked especially good to me, though everybody forcused on his other dish. I think the bahaviour of the others, for once, was demonstrably a result of jeolosy or envy of Marcel. They saw his food and may have even tasted it, and were scared. He was obviously the hands down winner when you saw the judges and crowd enjoying his food. The goal was to take the local cuisine, and make it your own. He did exactly that, and still managed to serve a taste of Hawaii. He found an approprate venue in which to express his vision and skills, stayed focused on what he was doing and not on what everyone else was doing, and displayed no fear to the bullies, so good on him.

What was that talking too much about the food thing they were yammering about? Marcel was obviously excited about the ingredients, excited with what he had donw with them, and was sharing his enthusiasm with the people he was feeding. Been there, done that. Pretty pathetic that Sam and Ilan encouraged Elia to launch a protest, then letting her hang out there on a limb in front of the judges. Cheating is a serious charge, and either he did or he didn't.

:rolleyes:

How many times can they possibly demonstrate immature, unprofessional and unethical behaviour to a prominent, well respected Chef? And to millions of people all over the country.

I would have rather seen Sam/Marcel in the finals, but I have never tasted the food. If they wanted to go for drama, they should have made it an Elia/Ilan final. There would have been whining, and crying, and backstabbing, and gnashing of teeth and both would have melted down and done something childish and/or stupid to themselves or one another. The food would have sucked, though.

Sam's coconut milk dessert will make it to my table also, I suspect. This is one of the few episodes that left me wanting to cook the food.

Edited by annecros (log)

I predict Marcel will win. There will be foam and possibly gelee.

No doubt. Something will surely require deconstructing, as well.

Then Ilan will do something so yellow with saffron that it is orange. I think Ilan has used saffron just as often as Marcel has foamed a sauce. I loved the paprika crack Marcel tossed at Ilan.

Marcel can wipe the floor with Ilan as long as he stays focused. He would have had a harder time beating Sam, I think.

During the deliberation, they were undecided between Sam and Ilan, and all of a sudden, they drop Sam and keep Marcel? Obviously, it's being done for the drama. I also completely disagree with Colicchio when he gives Sam less credit for his dishes just because "he didn't cook anything."

First, they had made their decision on Marcel (keep) and Elia (adios). Then they had to decide between the last two.

I like the final "match-up" -- in a way, it is traditional Spanish cuisine versus the latest techniques to come from Spain. Substance versus style.

Ilan showed all of his insecurities and fears in this episode.. You could tell he was in total panick mode when he hatched the plan to tattle on Marcel. You could totally see him folding under questioning and turning in his mother to save himself.. I really think he is such a jealous no talent loser. The finals arent going to be close.

I like the final "match-up" -- in a way, it is traditional Spanish cuisine versus the latest techniques to come from Spain. Substance versus style.

Good point..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I'm glad Marcel made it to the finals. He deserves to be there. I haven't always been the most impressed with his food, but I think he has shown steady improvement. I also think he has been the only one to act like an adult throughout the whole competition. He may not be a "soulful" cook, but he can clearly turn out well presented and delicious food. In the blogs, all of the judges concur that his salmon dish was by far the best of the evening, and he really did the best idea of the challenge (i.e., make Hawaiian food his own, rather than just make something that tastes decent, like Elia).

Elia bugged me from the beginning, and I found her behavior in last night's ep to be abominable. She clearly has a lot of growing up to do.

I was quite surprised and disappointed that Ilan made the finals. I would much rather have seen Sam. Ilan is obviously so limited as a chef. He can do a good job of executing dishes created by others, but he hasn't shown any real ability to create his own food. Also, his insecurity and resulting bad behavior has been so disturbing that I find it hard to even look at him. I'm not a violent person, and I find myself wanting to smash his weasely face in. I think a Marcel/Sam final would have been more fun to watch.

I'm rooting for Marcel in a big way.

Oy, this episode.

Sam: how can you talk smack about Marcel's flavors and methods in the beginning, ye of the "watermelon and cheese" dessert?

Ilan: straight up ITCHING to start shit from the plane ride out.

Elia: I think she's been watching past episodes and buying into the anti-Marcel fervor.

I actually started off the episode thinking Marcel would make the finals. To see him working with other folks in that apartment tells me a couple of things:

1) he's actually devoted to trying things out and bettering himself, and

2) if he was such a dick, no one would be wanting to work with him.

And for him to be able to bring his own equipment and such with him...he truly seemed ready to rock out. So I had a hunch he'd be in it to win it.

I knew Sam or Ilan would be out, though -- and not everyone would have caught on to this, but when they keep touting Tom Colicchio having a live online chat with a cut chef? Well, if Tom's in NYC, and we've got two chefs from NYC up for potential elimination...bum bum BUM! BravoTV.com, thank you for whittling it down for us.

Without getting into most of the episode (since it's been rehashed), I really do think they all did a great job. Elia's last minute "he cheated all through this competition" -- WHAT? Props to Marcel for standing there, and taking it, and being like, "Really, what the fuck." And further points to him for not rubbing it in when Elia got eliminated immediately afterwards.

Ilan vs. Marcel. Hard to say; on the one hand, if Marcel goes too "scientific," it may hurt his chances. I couldn't call a potential winner yet.

I would much rather have seen Sam in the finals too. (Or Lee Anne or Tiffani or... What a lousy cast this time.)

They've been going on and on about how Marcel got on their nerves with weeks of living at close quarters. And there's Ilan two months later, presumably having had time to recover, yet the first thing you see is him bitching about how he has to sit next to Marcel on the plane. What is the matter with these people?

I thought Marcel was really cute doing his experiments in that little kitchen.

I love Alan Wong. :wub:

I can't believe they dismissed Sam based on his "not cooking anything" that is like saying a sushi chef isn't a chef!!! total bullshit.

There is no way Ilan can win in my opinion- he just doesn't seem to have the skills unless he's been hiding them.

I totally blan Ilan for Elia doing her tattle- he practically shoved her into doing that!

I'm very disappointed with the judges decision. My family is from Hawaii and there are many many many foods that aren't "cooked"!! lord- didn't Sam actually win a quick fire for a ceviche he made one time???? grrrr!

:angry:

Many people have offered up good opinions and I agree with a lot of them so I'll try not to repeat too much.

That show was a joke, it confirmed really what I think all of us feared but didn't really want to admit and that is that this is a reality tv show that is about the drama first and foremost and the food is a distant second. I mean Marcel v Illan grudge match finale?? Please. The fact that Sam is not in there is ridiculous.

Pathetic.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I hate all reality TV shows and can't believe I watch this one. I wanted to gag with all the hateful comments directed at Marcel. Surprised Sam got the boot, thought it should have been Elia and Ilan due to their childish boorish behavior. What has spoiled the entire show for me is this BS drama but that's what all of these reality TV shows thrive on. No bravo from me on this one.

I wasn't sure I would watch the finale next week...but then I saw the little preview and lo and behold there is Wylie Dufresne, Mr. Molecular Gastonomy himself as a judge...so now I actually want to see what he thinks of Marcel's stuff...

I would like to try the pineapple poi. Probably about the only Marcel dish that appealed to me in the series.

As for Sam not mucking anything up other than the watermelon cabrales salad... don't forget that toad in the hole thing... Sam showed he can mess up just as badly as the next chef. He's no Harold. I have no doubt he will be successful though.

Elia...just a mess... Ilan...a lot of growing up to do.

Please let there NOT be a season 3.

Everybody keeps asking "What IS a Master Chef, anyway?"    Is this what it means on Marcel's screen tag?

http://www.foodtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=50700

He's a Master Cook.

Basically, he's a troop leader at a given station. When the Sous and above detail tasks that have some level of advanced technique (sous vide as an example), he leads that station's prep.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

I wasn't sure I would watch the finale next week...but then I saw the little preview and lo and behold there is Wylie Dufresne, Mr. Molecular Gastonomy himself as a judge...so now I actually want to see what he thinks of Marcel's stuff...

I screamed like a Tom Jones groupie when I saw the guests for next week. Wylie Dufresne, Scott Conant, Hubert Keller, Michelle Bernstein... opinionated, knowledgable industry folk, some with reputations for being real assholes. With respect to last years judges, they were a little too civil for my taste. And let's be honest, no one cares what Android-Lee Joel thought about the food. Now that we've established that this is dirty reality television and not a real cooking contest, I look forward to indulging in their (hopefully) catty remarks.

I though I saw Hubert Keller. Will there be a big panel? It would be interesting to get Dufresne's take on Marcel, though. I do not know enough about the methods from personal experience (eating or preparing) to pass judgement.

ETA: Thanks gingersweetiepie. Sounds like a very impressive, and hard to impress, group dynamic going there. Should be enough snark going around that room to make staying up late and watching two hours worth it.

Edited by annecros (log)