• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bravo's Top Chef Season 2

KristiB50

I am surprised that Marcel did not get his a.. kicked a little earlier.  He is a  arrogant ,sniveling passive aggressive rat. (I mean what is a master cook any way?) Who is about nothing but himself.  And his food is terrible.

According to the judges and the other cheftestants, his food is actually very good. They are the ones who have tasted it.

I don't care if he is Snidely Whiplash, everyone has a right to feel safe in their own bed.

Somehow, I think if Betty had been present, she would have been all over Marcel with the clippers. Michael might have actually interceded and spoke up on Marcel's behalf. I wonder how Mia is feeling about her decision now? Probably glad she isn't there, but Elia seems like a whiny little waste of an opportunity for her, and so not worthy of the sacrifice.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems patently obvious that Cliff committed assault and battery.

Certainly not assault and battery, there needs to be physical harm for that. It could questionably be assault, but only in some states and even then it's not really likely.

Edited by enurmi (log)

I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is often inaccurate.

Government Created Killer Nano Robot Infection Epidemic 06.

I want to know what a master cook is - I have not heard that one before. I think the show is sad. Give me No Reservations, Giada and American Choppers any day. At least the arguments on Choppers isn't a bunch of whiners like everyone say how great the food they bad is good. You next cahllenge - make something from a vending machine - make ice cream out of crap - did anyone tell those chefs that people were actually going to eat that crap - hey lets make pepperoni ice cream with chocolate and cherries - duh - come on. The reality craze is crazy.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems patently obvious that Cliff committed assault and battery.

Certainly not assault and battery, there needs to be physical harm for that. It could questionably be assault, but only in some states and even then it's not really likely.

There may need to be physical harm depending on the jurisdiction, but there was physical harm-Marcel referred to his "rug burns" and he also likely had some bumps and bruises that he didn't complain about on camera, at least not on anything that made it to air, but they certainly seem sufficient to uphold a conviction for assault and battery. In MA, for example, the injury needs to be more than transient and triffling, i.e. a sore wrist for a few minutes would not be sufficient, but it does not need to be an permanent injury, either-Marcel's injuries should be enough to cross that threshold.

According to the judges and the other cheftestants, his food is actually very good. They are the ones who have tasted it.

I've never heard anyone on the show rave about his food. It's always more of, "The presentation is interesting, and the combination of flavors is unique, but... it just wasn't exciting to eat." It seems to me like Marcel's food is lacking soul.

That said, he must really intimidate the hell out of the other contestants seeing how much they enjoy smacking him. I feel sorry for him, lack of soul or not.

Cliff got what he deserved. I want Elia to win, simply because I like her and would probably enjoy hanging out with her.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

This is the definition of Assault from Black's Law Dictionary:

"Any willful attempt or threat to inflict injury upon the person of another, when coupled with an apparent present ability so to do, and any intentional display of force such as would give the victim reason to fear or expect immediate bodily harm, constitutes an assault.

An assault may be committed without actually touching, or striking, or doing bodily harm, to the person of another.

Frequently used to describe illegal force which is technically a battery. For crime of assault victim need not be apprehensive of fear if the outward gesture is menacing and defendent intends to harm, though for tort of assault, element of victim's apprehension is required. It is an unlawful attempt to commit a battery.

In some jurisdictions degress of the offense are established as first, second and even third degree assault."

Assault and Battery is defined as:

"Any unlawful touching of another which is without justification or excuse. It is both a tort and a crime. Battery requires physical contact of some sort (bodily injury or offensive touching), whereas assault is committed without physical contact."

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Come on u guys.

Its a television show.

Take it for what it is

It's food and Real World and Road Rules

and the Surreal Life. And I like the show.

I find it damn entertaining and for me, it is

by far, so much better than watching

some supersilious sitcom.

My choice and vote goes to Sam

Methinks he is more well rounded in

terms of cooking skills, leadership and

common kitchen sense.

Marcel seems to do a good job in the

kitchen for the most part. It just seems

he needs a partial hospitalization program

to learn socialization skills.

Ilan seems to be a decent enough cook, but

chicken livers and goobers?

Elia is hot enough but clearly needs a few

more years in the kitchen before stardom hits.

Also Marcel gave an interview:

-Cliff followed him after the assault and was throwing things(like chocolate bars) at him and THEN he went into the bathroom to hide. Ilan was holding the camera.

-Marcel was at a nightclub after filming in Vegas and some girl came up to him and said, "are you Marcel from Top Chef?' and when he said yes he was hit in the face with a bottle-30 stitches!!!

-The reason he said that stuff after the catering thing(when Sam won) was because he had worked very hard and they had all congratulated themselves and thanked eachother(Sam, Ilan, Betty) and had completely ignored him. He was upset by not getting any recognition from any ot them and that is why he spoke up..he was just pissed that he was not recognized at all.

link to interview:

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/2007/01/18/feature2.html

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

Yeah I saw that one and thought another drunk person ona reality show attacking another person - it must be in the script as I was flipping cahnnels last night and (Bad Girls) had the same thing - MArcel has lots of great ideas but his character makes him very dilikable - but no reason to be attacked for a prank. But I have to say of the places I have worked alays had a couple of people that were a pain for some reason or another and you know they all had a sense for the madness. ONe guy - banquet chef was a maniac - he was a jerk - the dishwashers hated him so much they would not bring him the things he needed and has they walked awys would cuss him out in creole. It was a show I thought for the most time - I learned a lot from him - BUT when I worked for him - the dishwashers felt sorry for me and gave me whatever I needed. Poeple all have different charaters and personality - I thought that some of the other people on the show were irritating too in different ways.

I have a daughter that Marcel reminds me a lot of - little in the way of social skills, technically brilliant at what she does, but her final product lacks... a human touch. She's an excellent singer in the technical sense, but there's a lack of emotion, of feeling. The reason for this is she is autistic. It's the same way with her cooking skills - she's picked up everything I have taught her (other than her knife skills, because she has issues with fine motor control, I do her mise en place for her), her presentation looks great, her flavor is fine but there is a lack of soul to her dishes. This is because she has an emotional detatchment from the world around her, and has since she was small.

As for the attack on Marcel - I know what it's like to be an outsider in a kitchen. I was the lone Anglo female in a Hispanic male-run kitchen. Management hired me because the existing crew was losing money on the evening shift week after week and they needed someone that they hoped would be able to appease the customers, turn out orders right the first time to reduce food costs and make peace between FOH and BOH. The FOH didn't mind having someone on the line that was getting out orders on time without a lot of lip, but the existing BOH saw me as an interloper - and I suffered for it. I could take the little things like no towels, no aprons, no jackets - that was to be expected. My mise going missing - irritating. Every one of the BOH staff refusing to assist as I tried to move a 175 pound bucket of sauce to be portioned for the next day's use, then one of the guys spraying water onto the floor as I move it myself, making sure I'd slip and fall - borderline assault, ripped rotator cuff, six weeks off work due to the injury and loss of a job.

Seriously, I would never patronize a restaurant that hired any of the parties involved in the attack on a sleeping person and if I owned a restaurant, I'd never employ them due to their unpredictable natures, making them liabilities. I wouldn't be able to afford the insurance premiums.

(edited to correct spelling error)

Edited by CopperTop (log)

Marcel deserves no pity from anyone. I have cooked with a lot of people like him. Lots of talk about passion and desire but nothing to back it up. Marcel doesn't put anything of himself in his food. He keeps it safe, not to the untrained eye, but anyone who has a decent cookbook collection can tell. So far this season, he has ripped off Michelle Richard, Ferran Adria, and Joel Robuchon. He is not taking risks, he's taking recipes. Im not saying thats a bad thing. Marco Pierre White said it best, "You cannot re-invent the wheel, you can only change the hub." I don't disbar him from picking from some of the best, but please don't call this souless hack revolutionary.

I don't think anyone is calling Marcel a great chef. They're just stating he doesn't deserve the vitriol hurled his way.

I think the editors tried to portray him as another Stephen but the actions of the other asshat contestants made him a sympathetic character.

This show is no longer about food. I haven't been impressed with any dish I've seen. but I'll probrably tune in again next season just like I do for the trainwreck that is Hells Kitchen.

I have a daughter that Marcel reminds me a lot of - little in the way of social skills, technically brilliant at what she does, but her final product lacks... a human touch.  She's an excellent singer in the technical sense, but there's a lack of emotion, of feeling.  The reason for this is she is autistic.  It's the same way with her cooking skills - she's picked up everything I have taught her (other than her knife skills, because she has issues with fine motor control, I do her mise en place for her), her presentation looks great, her flavor is fine but there is a lack of soul to her dishes.  This is because she has an emotional detatchment from the world around her, and has since she was small.

As for the attack on Marcel - I know what it's like to be an outsider in a kitchen.  I was the lone Anglo female in a Hispanic male-run kitchen.  Management hired me because the existing crew was losing money on the evening shift week after week and they needed someone that they hoped would be able to appease the customers, turn out orders right the first time to reduce food costs and make peace between FOH and BOH.  The FOH didn't mind having someone on the line that was getting out orders on time without a lot of lip, but the existing BOH saw me as an interloper - and I suffered for it.  I could take the little things like no towels, no aprons, no jackets - that was to be expected.  My mise going missing - irritating.  Every one of the BOH staff refusing to assist as I tried to move a 175 pound bucket of sauce to be portioned for the next day's use, then one of the guys spraying water onto the floor as I move it myself, making sure I'd slip and fall - borderline assault, ripped rotator cuff, six weeks off work due to the injury and loss of a job.

Seriously, I would never patronize a restaurant that hired any of the parties involved in the attack on a sleeping person and if I owned a restaurant, I'd never employ them due to their unpredictable natures, making them liabilities.  I wouldn't be able to afford the insurance premiums.

(edited to correct spelling error)

I read on another website that Marcel has Asperger's syndrome. While this may explain some of his behaviors, I don't think it's enough to make anyone feel sory for him.

Does Marcel say he has Asperger's or are people just diagnosing him? It's a popular armchair disgnosis these days-- usually the people doing the armchair diagnosis pronounce it "Ass Burgers." :wink: Heh, maybe a theme for a cooking challenge.

The more I think about it, the more I think Marcel handled this just right. You can only keep your side of the street clean. He wasn't at a regular job, where a little judicious biting back might not hurt; he was on TV. He may well look dorky right now but he doesn't look mean or dishonest. (Back when he was razzing Betty, I wasn't so sure.)

Marcel Vigneron, who ended up with a big scar over his left eye. "This girl came up to me at a nightclub and asked me if I was Marcel from 'Top Chef,' " Vigneron, 26, tells Las Vegas Weekly. "The next thing I knew, this bottle struck me, and my friends had to rush me to the hospital. I needed 30 stitches."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01232007/gossi...ke_pagesix_.htm

Wow.. I guess Cliff might have a crazy sister..

Edited by Daniel (log)

There are reports out that the latest repeats of the episode have edited out the images (post assault) of Elia with a full head of hair.

In other news, we have always been at war with Oceania.

Too bad they can't edit the Internetz.

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

If you check out the full recap on televisionwithoutpity dot com, it does sound an awful lot like the other two shaved their heads after the assault.

Now, I wonder if the fact that Alan Wong is the judge for the finale means I will not be able to eat at his place in a couple of weeks' time.

Does Marcel say he has Asperger's or are people just diagnosing him? It's a popular armchair disgnosis these days-- usually the people doing the armchair diagnosis pronounce it "Ass Burgers."

Armchair diagnosis. I've read threads, especially on TWoP, where people said this, and not one of them had a source. I've never seen a reputable news source even insinuate that he was autistic or had Asperger's. And I think that's part of why people dislike him so-- it would be a completely different situation if he had an actual reason to act the way he does, but he doesn't.

As an aside, how do you pronounce Asperger's?

I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is often inaccurate.

Government Created Killer Nano Robot Infection Epidemic 06.

Does Marcel say he has Asperger's or are people just diagnosing him? It's a popular armchair disgnosis these days-- usually the people doing the armchair diagnosis pronounce it "Ass Burgers."

Armchair diagnosis. I've read threads, especially on TWoP, where people said this, and not one of them had a source. I've never seen a reputable news source even insinuate that he was autistic or had Asperger's. And I think that's part of why people dislike him so-- it would be a completely different situation if he had an actual reason to act the way he does, but he doesn't.

As an aside, how do you pronounce Asperger's?

I believe it's AsPERger's, but that may be wrong. We'll have to ask Mr. Asperger.

It's weird to me how fashionable it's gotten to say people have that-- or for people to say they have it themselves, without a diagnosis. The two people I see from day to day who have diagnoses have a very obvious problem, like from the minute you speak with them, and they do a lot of work to compensate. They both act nothing like Marcel, but then they don't act that much like each other, either. I have a lot of respect for these guys and what they go through. I am sure there are degrees of this condition but I don't like the way "Asperger's" is coming to = "socially inept." That's unfair to people who have the condition and to people who don't but are said to have it.

Whether or not Marcel might have it doesn't make me like him any less though, or any more.

Listen Trish, you can say whatever you want about the contestants and Tom.. But lay off Padma.. she's pertty. :biggrin:

Ah but her taste in men is questionable... Salman must have one hell of a personality because I couldn't imagine waking up to such a fuzzy sight every morning :raz:

Someone should tell Ilan the Unibomber look is out.

Well, at least there was a reason.. that blessed editing!.. now it's obvious that they shot all those commentaries after main production and shooting had ended and didn't want to ruin the "surprise" :wacko:

I wonder what the space between the shooting of this last episode and the finale is, because Elia looks like she has a good 2 inches of growth back already!

As far as the rest of it.. I'm still bemused why they didn't kick off Frank for threatening Marcel a few episodes back.. but Cliff crossed the line...

One last note.. someone said something about Sam being diabetic and the drinking.. diabetics can drink alcohol, just in moderation like everyone else should and preferably on a full stomach

Edited by psychobombshell (log)
Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

One last note.. someone said something about Sam being diabetic and the drinking.. diabetics can drink alcohol, just in moderation like everyone else should and preferably on a full stomach

True, but he drank enough to make all that stuff that went down seem like a good idea. Mind you, I'm diabetic and I get tipsy on occasion, but then again, I'm not bringing up my diabetes to excuse why I can't cook a dessert. (My excuse for that is that I'm lazy. :biggrin: )

"d00d where r u???"

True, but he drank enough to make all that stuff that went down seem like a good idea. Mind you, I'm diabetic and I get tipsy on occasion, but then again, I'm not bringing up my diabetes to excuse why I can't cook a dessert. (My excuse for that is that I'm lazy. :biggrin: )

It was brought up as an excuse for why he could not sample wines for his pairings in this episode as well.

Two get eliminated tonight. Should prove interesting.

News via Eater LA and Gawker is that Ilan has quit his job at Casa Mono in NYC.

One theory is that it's because he won Top Chef.

The other big one, according to Eater LA, is that he does something a tad more vile than Cliff -- though there's no spoiler I can find to corroborate this theory.

It was brought up as an excuse for why he could not sample wines for his pairings in this episode as well.

Two get eliminated tonight. Should prove interesting.

I thought that had come up. So then, the question becomes, did he drink that night, or was he just acting the fool?

"d00d where r u???"