• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bravo's Top Chef Season 2

KristiB50

:wacko::wacko::wacko: I thought this weeks challenge was extremely unrealistic. No one can go from bare walls to up and running restaurant in what 12 hours? Really dumb on the part of the producers on that one. I'm still not getting the diner menu, way too many extremes.

Then for Sam and crew to decide on an Italian themed restaurant, but forget the wine???? even a rank amateur could have gotten that part done. Sigh.

All the brewhaha over FOH practices. Sorry but TOP Chef's aren't ever really going to be schooled in FOH. Yes, eveone does a rotation in school, but they're in the kitchen because that's where they belong. They should have schooled the help better IMO. But then again, where was the time to do that?

It looked way too much like a half a**ed attempt at a Hell's Kitchen episode. That woman! :angry: "It's overdone," come on lady you're getting a free meal and you're not a restaurant critic, just someone who watches too much reality tv!

Who should have gone home? Whoever thought of this challenge!

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I think Heidi Klum put it best: One week you're a star, the next, you're out, or auf'd, or knifed, in this case. I think Tom has had it in for Michael from the get-go and saw a chance tonight to send him packing. For not buying little pit dishes? Really? Oy.

Cliff was a big ol' mess FOH but I'm betting on he and Elia to be in the finale.

I was reminded why Gail doesn't do anything for me on this show. I liked having the guests instead. Then again, it could just be the editing.
I know they give the cheftestants (tm TWoP's Keckler) the good/evil edits, but making a judge appear lamer than she really is? Nah, Gail doesn't do anything for me, either. And she really suffers when compared with Ted.

All the brewhaha over FOH practices. Sorry but TOP Chef's aren't ever really going to be schooled in FOH. Yes, eveone does a rotation in school, but they're in the kitchen because that's where they belong. They should have schooled the help better IMO. But then again, where was the time to do that?

It looked way too much like a half a**ed attempt at a Hell's Kitchen episode. That woman! :angry: "It's overdone," come on lady you're getting a free meal and you're not a restaurant critic, just someone who watches too much reality tv!

Who should have gone home? Whoever thought of this challenge!

I agree with the FOH stuff. A chef should have a basic grasp of what goes on FOH, but expecting him to wait tables and be good at it, especially his first time at it, is like pulling your head waiter into the kitchen and expecting him to work dinner service.

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

When Cliff was pushing for Front of House, and asked why he wanted it so badly, I recall him asserting, "It's what I do in my restaurant."

I'm guessing Cliff had the typical back of the house outlook that Front of the House is a snap - just stand around chatting with customers and glomming up all the praise for the kitchen's hard work. :smile:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

When Cliff was pushing for Front of House, and asked why he wanted it so badly, I recall him asserting, "It's what I do in my restaurant."

I'm guessing Cliff had the typical back of the house outlook that Front of the House is a snap - just stand around chatting with customers and glomming up all the praise for the kitchen's hard work. :smile:

I think you're quite right on that!

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I really am starting to dislike Sam.. I think he is an affected jerk.. One thing that stood out besides his envy of Marcell was his Italian Grandmother thing.. I was thinking to myself, this is what it must have sounded like when Rocco was coming up with his Italian Restaurant.. He said, "think 80 year old Italian Grandmother cooking in the back".. Well, he is is not an 80 year old Grandmother and that sort of stuff should not be taken lightly.. What 80 year old grandmother would serve that dessert.. I think his food is a lot like him and his style.. It looks like exhaustive measures have been put into appearing natural... He is whack..

That guy Ilan is another person who bothers me and should be the next person to leave.. Everything he makes gets completely panned by the judges.. He is a poor mans version of Marcell and that probably why he hates Marcell so much..

I am thinking its going to be French Chick and Marcell in the finals and everyone is going to sabotage Marcell in the end..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Next week...here's my prediction based on the preview.

Marcel gets royally fucked with; they obviously do something to him while he's sleeping.  Something with his hair, most likely.

And when the other contestants come in?  I bet they screwed with their own hair to "apologize."  The whole "wait til you see them" comment from Padma.

Some of these guys need to grow up, it seems.

I was thinking the same thing because he looks at all of them like there is something wrong with them.. I was thinking of my college days and it easily could be shaved eyebrows too!

Indeed, he did say that -- however, at the Judges' Table, his reason was not that he did it in his restaurant, but that he "...wanted the challenge" or something along those lines. Either it was that he wanted the challenge, or was "up for the challenge" -- either way, if he did it in his restaurant, and this was a 24-seat joint, how challenging could it really be?

...however, at the Judges' Table, his reason was not that he did it in his restaurant, but that he "...wanted the challenge" or something along those lines.  Either it was that he wanted the challenge, or was "up for the challenge" -- either way, if he did it in his restaurant, and this was a 24-seat joint, how challenging could it really be?

I really thought Cliff should be the one to go. He demanded FOH, insisting that it was "what he does in his restaurant" but then royally screwed it up. Of course, the judges didn't see the footage we saw. If I had been Marcel and Elia I would have said more about why Cliff wanted the FOH. He didn't say "for the challenge" anywhere except at the judge's table. I also think he wanted FOH because he didn't want to cook with Marcel.

I found it petty that Ilan tried to foam the Zesty Italian dressing. Also shows he doesn't know much about foams... Gack - Zesty Italian is nasty - I'm glad I don't have to try to make anything with it. I don't like those kind of Quickfire challenges.

I hope Marcel doesn't try to spin off into a rap career....yikes that was bad. And enough with soigné already.

I'm tired of these team challenges. How can the judges possibly evaluate who did better or worse than someone else, when everyone is doing something different? Having any of the chefs working FOH was ridiculous on last night's show. It's not Top Waiter, these people are not professionally trained or experienced at the art of FOH.

And I'm sick of the judges too, with their pack of wolves approach to the food and the contestants. Their venom is so eager. It turns my stomach the way Gail appears to take such true pleasure in finding the errors. Her smile often seems to say, "I can't believe I'm getting paid to be such a bitch! This is great!" And Tom, well he's just a bully. I wonder if the contestants would raise their own level of professionalism if the judges raised theirs. I think the judges have set the tone for a pretty scrappy environment.

And I'm sick of the judges too, with their pack of wolves approach to the food and the contestants.  Their venom is so eager.  It turns my stomach the way Gail appears to take such true pleasure in finding the errors.  Her smile often seems to say, "I can't believe I'm getting paid to be such a bitch!  This is great!"  And Tom, well he's just a bully.  I wonder if the contestants would raise their own level of professionalism if the judges raised theirs.  I think the judges have set the tone for a pretty scrappy environment.

I'm not sure if it was the editing or what, but didn't it seem like the two teams had a very short time to get everything together -- and up pops Colicchio?

The producers had to have been LOVING the way that came together. I literally yelled out "Jesus Christ!" when he showed up, like, c'mon man -- don't ask how things are going when it's painfully obvious they're trying to get stuff done.

After the last episode, everyone who I liked, besides Elia and Mike, I now dislike. Sam was a bit of a jerk who in fact just needs to grow up (ie. he thinks he's super mature and he's not), Ilan is boring and not that great of a chef, Cliff for the first time came off as a very cold person and clearly had not idea how to handle the front of the house (he probably just didn't want to be stuck in the back of the house with Marcel).

The fact that they kicked Mike off for forgetting olive pit bowls is ridiculous.

And Kraft?! Please people, have some class.

And, of course, Bravo Network just has to add the "interior decorating" element to it, which served no purpose...

Edited by orangeman747 (log)

Another asinine moment was the praise that the judges gave the service at the second restaurant. Did they not notice that the place was practically empty at that point? When they arrived at the Italian restaurant, dinner service was basically over. Of course the FOH had more time and mindspace to devote to them. Duh. On the other hand, when they ate at the diner, they literally got the last table. Cliff was juggling a full load of tables, who had all arrived at the same time (at opening), and was literally trying to get the dinners served, when the judges showed up and took their seats.

Oh Marcel, you're too strange even for my tastes. Nevertheless, I still like you. The rap, the cut-out-4-us, wow. No other words are needed.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Kraft Zesty would hold air relatively well. I'm sure it's loaded with emulsifiers and hydrocolloids such that it might froth (if not turn into a proper "air") quite well.

I found Michael's decision to not buy bread plates or small bowls for olive pits very short-sighted. He knew he had the money, so why not spend it. It's not as if it could be put toward food. Had he been thinking, he would've gone above and beyond what the group expected of him. Perhaps as a result of this he would've stayed.

I also think they cut off Marcel's hair. Isn't that hazing in a situtation like that? Isn't that technically against the law?

I also think they cut off Marcel's hair.  Isn't that hazing in a situtation like that?  Isn't that technically against the law?

Like it or not, plenty of line cooks take pride in hazing. Holding down a guy and forcing his head in a slop bucket, locking him in a walk-in and dumping crap on his head, breaking into his locker and cryovacing his clothes. At first it seems cruel, then the victim comes out alive and gets over it and then the cycle repeats itself, this time with the previous victim making the next slop bucket.

Totally akin to lame frat boy rituals.

Oh Marcel, you're too strange even for my tastes.  Nevertheless, I still like you.  The rap, the cut-out-4-us, wow.  No other words are needed.

:laugh: I didn't like Marcel much at the beginning, but his strangeness is starting to grow on me. That, and I also think his plate presentations are almost consistently the most attractive (besides the coffee grounds mess around his steak and eggs plate). And yes, I do feel really bad about the way he's being treated by the other players. I don't know if I posted this already, but a friend worked with him at Robuchon (and also is friends with Elia) so I've known who's in the final four for the past month or so...and I know the big *shock* that's to come next week, as well. Anyone who's simply dying of suspense can PM me if they want to know.

I was rooting for either Sam and Ilan all the way, but Ilan's cooking seems to have been less impressive of late, and both are being portrayed as incredibly rude and immature. I especially hate how Sam tried to blame his outburst on his Sicilian background--as if that's any excuse.

I'm glad Michael's gone. He might have been a pretty nice guy, but he's not a great cook.

I saw another commercial for next week's episode, and it looks like someone actually gets kicked off for whatever prank they pulled... this is going to be interesting

As for this week.. I think there was some snobbery on tom's part about Michael. He knows he's a line cook and I think he may have let that influence him in regards to Michael's performance. He has always seemed to look for something to critisize him for...

Marcel... at least there was no foam!!! Hurrah! But come on, have you not heard of a meat thermometer???? There is no excuse for undercooked chicken when you are cooking on that level

What was up with that dessert? Upscale diner I get, but come on.. it looked like something Sandra Lee put together (and I like Sandra Lee because when you want to be lazy, she's the cook to look to!).... lemon pie filling on crushed oreos?!?!?!?! It honestly sounds like something a stoner came up with in their dorm room.

Cliff is really bothering me... Why does he feel the need to act like he is everyone's superior, especially Elia!? Geez, it's hard enough being a line cook as a woman, guys like Cliff make it even harder!

Sam.. that dessert looked disgusting and there is no way in hell I'd eat it....

I still like Ilan, but he has been a little snarky lately... and I have the feeling he's going to be the one they are going to kick off for the "incident" next week... *sigh*

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

I also think they cut off Marcel's hair.  Isn't that hazing in a situtation like that?  Isn't that technically against the law?

Like it or not, plenty of line cooks take pride in hazing. Holding down a guy and forcing his head in a slop bucket, locking him in a walk-in and dumping crap on his head, breaking into his locker and cryovacing his clothes. At first it seems cruel, then the victim comes out alive and gets over it and then the cycle repeats itself, this time with the previous victim making the next slop bucket.

Totally akin to lame frat boy rituals.

What happens in real life can't happen in reality shows. It's very analagous to their 21 year old restriction because of the alcohol consumption tha happens on the show. If hazing did in fact occur it would certainly be grounds to kick the cheftestant off no questions asked.

What happens in real life can't happen in reality shows.  It's very analagous to their 21 year old restriction because of the alcohol consumption tha happens on the show.  If hazing did in fact occur it would certainly be grounds to kick the cheftestant off no questions asked.

Hey man, I don't disagree, I'm just pointing out that it happens and that it's gross.

BTW, regarding next week, I think that one person taking the fall for a gang attack is a total joke. But we'll see how the producers set it all up.

What was up with that dessert? Upscale diner I get, but come on.. it looked like something Sandra Lee put together (and I like Sandra Lee because when you want to be lazy, she's the cook to look to!).... lemon pie filling on crushed oreos?!?!?!?!

Did they use lemon pie filling? I assumed they made the lemon curd from scratch. Crushed Oreo crumbs isn't a bad product--I use it sometimes as well, and it certainly fits into the diner theme. Lemon and chocolate is a pretty classic pairing--Pierre Herme has lemon/chocolate desserts in his books as well. This dessert didn't bother me as much as the watermelon and blue cheese dessert. Watermelon + blue cheese might be fine, but turning the cheese into a creamy sauce is disgusting. :shock:

Besides that, it just seemed totally unimaginative for an upscale diner. I would have rather eaten at a normal diner most likely.. I just ate at a restaurant that goes for the upscale diner thing, The Buckhead Diner.. I didnt like my meal there and would have rather eaten at Buckhead.. Diners have buffalo wings? And since when is tempura upscale? Root beer floats good choice.. Really upscale with all the time in the world would be like at Tru, homemade root beer and ice cream.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Another asinine moment was the praise that the judges gave the service at the second restaurant.  Did they not notice that the place was practically empty at that point?  When they arrived at the Italian restaurant, dinner service was basically over.  Of course the FOH had more time and mindspace to devote to them.  Duh.  On the other hand, when they ate at the diner, they literally got the last table.  Cliff was juggling a full load of tables, who had all arrived at the same time (at opening), and was literally trying to get the dinners served, when the judges showed up and took their seats.

I totally agree with this. It seemed unreasonable to have the judges eat in the height of service at the diner, and then stroll into the Italian restaurant after everyone else had been served. I would have been really annoyed if they axed Cliff based on his FOH shortfalls without giving consideration to their own timing.

Another asinine moment was the praise that the judges gave the service at the second restaurant.  Did they not notice that the place was practically empty at that point?  When they arrived at the Italian restaurant, dinner service was basically over.  Of course the FOH had more time and mindspace to devote to them.  Duh.  On the other hand, when they ate at the diner, they literally got the last table.  Cliff was juggling a full load of tables, who had all arrived at the same time (at opening), and was literally trying to get the dinners served, when the judges showed up and took their seats.

I totally agree with this. It seemed unreasonable to have the judges eat in the height of service at the diner, and then stroll into the Italian restaurant after everyone else had been served. I would have been really annoyed if they axed Cliff based on his FOH shortfalls without giving consideration to their own timing.

Yeah, but, you still acknowledge guests, especially if they're judging you.

Stopping by the table for one minute would've earnied a lot of points.

Edited by rconnelly (log)

Cliff is really bothering me... Why does he feel the need to act like he is everyone's superior, especially Elia!? Geez, it's hard enough being a line cook as a woman, guys like Cliff make it even harder!

I'm not sure he's acting all that badly. If the editors are trying to make him look bad-- and it was his turn; they are so predictable-- they don't have much to work with. His behavior seems stilted, but maybe he's just trying too hard to keep control and not to lose it or do something stupid. I haven't noticed him be really mean or nasty to anyone apart from raising his voice, which could be a result of being bottled up. Not conducive to teamwork but not flat-out ugly.

Or maybe I just want to have somebody in the finals that I can stand. Right now it's down to Marcel, Elia and Cliff for people I like at all.

Why does Ilan sit there with the hoodie up all the time? Is he imitating Jeffrey from Project Runway? (Jeffrey claims he did that deliberately to make himself look weird.)