• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bravo's Top Chef Season 2

KristiB50

:angry:

When do we get a new episode?

[Nikita Khrushchev, pounding table with shoe]We will BURY you![/Nikita Khrushchev, pounding table with shoe]

Ummmmmmm........I am probably dating myself with that reference, huh?

:wink:

I caught last seasons final episodes last night- although disappointed with the re- runs- I couldn't help thinking that last seasons group had more collective and individual personality. Even though they were competing they seemed to have formed a bond- I dont see that with this current group- Any comments?

ksoss

I caught last seasons final episodes last night- although disappointed with the re- runs- I couldn't help thinking that last seasons group had more collective and individual personality.  Even though they were competing they seemed to have formed a bond- I dont see that with this current group- Any comments?

It does seem that way to me, at least from the vantage point of Season 1 being over. We know that Lee Anne and Harold remained friends with each other and with several other people. In fact I think Lee Anne was a big part of the success of Seaon 1-- someone who got that far (and should have got to the finals in my opinion) and had that much personal warmth. I like Elia, and she may even get to the final 3, so maybe something will still emerge, but I don't find her exciting like Lee Anne.

I've noticed a similar progresssion with Project Runway-- contestants seeming less and less interested in each other-- and wondered if it was a function of people coming on having seen the show and being more determined to play it for results.

Bravo just announced they are renewing TC for a 3rd season. If you are interested in being a contestant you can fill out an application here.

A quote from the press release states:

"The second season of 'Top Chef' has outperformed even our highest expectations both in ratings and the quality of this non-fictional competitive drama," said Zalaznick. "We look forward to discovering another group of culinary talents with the same passion for food and cooking with commanding personalities that make 'Top Chef' a must see every Wednesday night."

"Top Chef" currently ranks as the number one rated food series in all of cable television averaging 1,224,000 P18-49, according to Nielsen Media Research. Season to date, "Top Chef" commands an impressive 56% percent increase among total viewers over the first cycle with five episodes remaining (1,224,000 vs. 786,000). "Top Chef” season two is Wednesday's #1 cable series among Women 25-54, averaging 755,000 viewers in the demo.

Season two of "Top Chef" returns tomorrow night with a "supersized” edition, featuring guest judges Ted Allen ("Queer Eye") and Robert Ivan, Consulting Chef of Mauro's Café at Fred Segal, along with a special appearance by Debi Mazar ("Entourage"), Jan. 3, 10-11:10 p.m. ET/PT.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I am tired of this series. Maybe things will gear up later, but so far it is a big snooze.

I kind of like Marcel lately though. I guess I will tune in for at least another couple of episodes. If nothing else, in the hope that Betty goes home. Of course, the producers could be mainipulating me...

Naw, they wouldn't do that, would they?

:rolleyes:

I am tired of this series. Maybe things will gear up later, but so far it is a big snooze.

I kind of like Marcel lately though. I guess I will tune in for at least another couple of episodes. If nothing else, in the hope that Betty goes home. Of course, the producers could be mainipulating me...

Naw, they wouldn't do that, would they?

:rolleyes:

Ask and ye shall receive....

I'm so awesome I don't even need a sig...Oh wait...SON OF A...

my friend and i are thinking about applying for the show, were both kind of bored with the industry right now and miss the drama that we had in culinary school. he is more the sam type and i think i would fit cliff's profile the most. one of us could definately win the whole thing, i'm sure of it.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Ask and ye shall receive....

And not a moment too soon.

How fitting that the two who were behaving the most unprofessionally both ended up in the bottom three (along with Marcel).

It was really nice to see Michael do so well in both challenges. The Spawn is still rooting for Sam (mostly based on looks, I'm sure); as for me, I'm starting to hope that Cliff wins.

The challenges were more interesting tonight, and I saw a lot more creativity. Just when I was about to give up on the series - they are showing improvment. The "Seven Deadly Sins" was a fun idea. I liked it.

Betty's attitude seemed to show in her food. I think the kitchen will be a better place to work without her - provided that Ilan can quit stirring the emotional pot and please stop whining Elia! She could have done a great deal with white, but spent too much time agonzing over the injustice of it all. Martyr syndrome.

Marcel seems to have been transformed from obnoxious to underdog. I still find Cliff quite likable and he is my favorite overall, although he got on my nerves a couple of episodes ago.

Funny - Here I am going on about personalities and it is supposed to be about the food!

I was proud of Michael for sobering up and demonstrating that he is a contender. I bet Betty was shocked that Michael outlasted her. I think she wrote him off on Day One.

Oh well, I guess I am back on the train for this season.

Edited by annecros (log)

What a bunch of immature brats!

I was disturbed by Sams, "nobody likes you" rant in the store. He showed a real lack of class.

Although Marcel may irritate he doesn't deserve all that venom. They keep harping on Marcels selfishness but then the film shows him going out of his way to help others or at least offering. He even offered to help color blind Cliff choose purple food.

I can't believe Ilan made that comment about the cherries to the guests. I'm glad the judges called him on it.

I was happy to see Michael succeed.

I was happy to see Betty leave. That heap of green looked disgusting and I think she's an instigator when it comes to Marcel-hate.

Cliff was under the radar. I can't remember what he made. But at least he kept is trap shut.

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

I loved this episode. The challenge was interesting from the get-go. Michael

really outdid himself, IMO.

You know, Marcel doesn't exactly give me a thrill, either, but Betty going on and

on ad nausuem about the guy is sooooo tiring. She can't even get booted off

without whining, "Oh, I can't believe I didn't last as long as Marcel . . . " (or

whatever). Get over yourself. And, the crap about "Don't you ever snap at

me again." For the love of Pete, all she does is SNAP!

I think Sam just released some pent-up emotion regarding Marcel, who is

another one who needs to get over himself.

Marcel is like that little brother who bugs you until you scream and then your parents yell at you!

The kid might have some skills but he does the lack maturity to be a "top" chef. Give foor or five years and he'll do it on his own.

As far as Ilan's behavior, I think he's just feeling the pressure....up until now he's been pretty quiet. So let's cut him some slack.

Betty is gone and in spite of her temperment, it's a shame to see another woman pack her knives. I love Elia, but not sure whether she has the intenstinal fortitude to last.

Funny - Here I am going on about personalities and it is supposed to be about the food!

Yeah, I thought that myself after I turned the computer off last night.

I too thought the challenges were quite creative. For a self-declared Deadly Sins aficianado, Cliff didn't seem to know that "Greed" is really a poor synonym for "Avarice". It would have been neat to see some sort of dessert involving edible gold leaf for that sin.

Sloth? a slow braise, I think.

Lust...oyster bisque. Or a pasta with a puttanesca sauce.

Gluttony...well, what (edible) animal do most English speakers associated with gluttony if not the pig? Pork, three (or four!) ways.

Wrath...I liked the spicy theme of Sam's dish. No brilliant alternatives from me!

Envy...again, Michael's idea was brilliant.

Pride...something very showy. I'm still thinking about that one.

I too thought the challenges were quite creative. For a self-declared Deadly Sins aficianado, Cliff didn't seem to know that "Greed" is really a poor synonym for "Avarice". It would have been neat to see some sort of dessert involving edible gold leaf for that sin.

Gluttony...well, what (edible) animal do most English speakers associated with gluttony if not the pig? Pork, three (or four!) ways.

Wrath...I liked the spicy theme of Sam's dish. No brilliant alternatives from me!

The whole quick fire whiny white thing killed me. Vanilla, cold, cream - a nice plate with fish or pork? Maybe even chicken if you want to keep it a little tame? White is cold and rich to me. Sheesh, even a salad could have communicated the color and emotions in very interesting ways. And isn't she pastry? Surely she has been up to her elbows in white chocolate? That is not even falling back on potatoes and stuff that got Mike in trouble earlier for serving an all white plate at Thanksgiving.

Cliff could have done much better with his task, agreed. Chocolate makes me greedy! Gold leaf would have been really cool though, and communicated the concept effectively.

Lust just has to be Lobster or Crab for me. Oysters just don't ring my bell. Maybe because I am a girl?

Pork is right there. The whole freaking suckling pig if you can get it cooked in time!

Pride should be dessert, maybe?

Michael really impressed me with the envy. Lovely. I would have never thought of it, and it was so perfect. Sam is no slouch either.

Yep, a financier would have been just about perfect, especially with a little gold leaf.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I thought the exact same thing, even mentioned a Sacher Torte with gold leaf, to my husband.

Your other choices are superb. I might have gone with an aspic with foie gras for the pride portion (just beacuse it's so hoity toity).

Fun to think about. I loved the theme. And hooray for Michael he finally steps up.

Edited by tmgrobyn (log)
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Marcel can truly be a little irritating, but the response of Sam and Betty and Ilan to the irriatiation is really out of bounds.

I mean, how many of us have a coworker that rubs us the wrong way, and how many of us could get away with dealing with it by screaming insults and shooting off personal attacks as a legitimate response?

If it really is a top chef cometition, then in addition to cooking, a chef has to be able to deal rationally with other people.

I did a cocktail menu based on the Seven Deadly Sins and my thoughts were similar to yours.

Greed definitely needs the gold leaf. In my version there were flakes of Goldschlager in the drink.

Envy needs to be GREEN!

Lust - definitely oysters in a champagne mignonette.

Gluttony - over the top richness. In my case a very creamy dessert cocktail. In their case either a rich sauce or expensive ingredients like foie gras and sauternes would have fit the bill.

Wrath - spicy and served flaming, of course!! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Am I the only one who thought Penne Arrabiata for Wrath???  :laugh:

No you aren't! Or anything Fra Diavolo. :smile:

But I still like the showy aspect of something served flambéed.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Although Marcel may irritate he doesn't deserve all that venom.  They keep harping on Marcels selfishness but then the film shows him going out of his way to help others or at least offering.  He even offered to help color blind Cliff choose purple food.

I can't believe Ilan made that comment about the cherries to the guests. I'm glad the judges called him on it.

Yes to both of these. There's got to be some creative editing going on here in Marcels case, I think. Yeah, he's a diva, but he doesn't deserve the way he's getting dumped on. After watching last night, I was left wondering if any of these people know how to be a mature adult.

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

Marcel can truly be a little irritating, but the response of Sam and Betty and Ilan to the irriatiation is really out of bounds. 

I mean, how many of us have a coworker that rubs us the wrong way, and how many of us could get away with dealing with it by screaming insults and shooting off personal attacks as a legitimate response?

If it really is a top chef cometition, then in addition to cooking, a chef has to be able to deal rationally with other people.

Not to mention, not whining about someone "snapping" at you. He didn't snap, and that whole thing of "let's not take his dishes out?" Who did they think that would actually reflect badly on, exactly? Not Marcel, that's for sure. Grow UP.

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"