• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bravo's Top Chef Season 2

KristiB50

While it's relatively easy to come up with cool ideas, executing them for the first time, without outside help or research, for a group of highly discerning judges can be intimidating.  I know I wouldn't be able to come up with a recipe for sweet potato madelines off the top of my head, and terrines are so prone to failure if you're not confident in your technique.  Still, I agree the food was disappointing.

Nonetheless, I would be VERY interested in what you would have done in that challenge, considering what we have seen you do in the past.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

I don't understand the hate for Marcel either. Yes, he's arrogant but so are a lot of other people in the business. You have to be more than just confident to make it big. I admire him for just standing there and letting Betty throw her temper tantrums.

I didn't like Marcel at the start. Typical arrogant twenty-something who hasn't been humbled by the fact that he isn't what he inflates himself to be. In other words, me in my twenties.

Yet the more I see of his real personality, the more he seems like someone I'd hang out with. Wouldn't let him cook for me, though. I think he just got an El Bulli cookbook one Christmas and went to town without paying attention to Adria's philosophy on food. So it's presentation first, taste last.

More and more chefs should read David Sedaris' essay on New York restaurants, "Today's Special."

Excerpt

"Soho is not a macaroni salad kind of place. This is where the world's brightest young talents come to braise caramelized racks of corn-fed songbirds or offer up their famous knuckle of flash-seared crappie served with a collar of chided ginger and cornered by a tribe of kiln-roasted Chilean toadstools, teased with a warm spray of clarified musk oil."

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

I watched the show for the first time today.. Thanksgiving.. I know why I have been seeing this topic discussed so much.. Show seems like fun. The cooking was disappointing.. Are the contestants chefs in real life? Or is it a mix of cooks and people who they thought would melt down on camera.. Is that Miss Rushdie?

Edited by Daniel (log)

:hmmm:

I watched the show for the first time today.. Thanksgiving.. I know why I have been seeing this topic discussed so much..  Show seems like fun.  The cooking was disappointing..  Are the contestants chefs in real life?  Or is it a mix of cooks and people who they thought would melt down on camera.. Is that Miss Rushdie?

I just watched the thanksgiving show for the first time last night- the cooking seems to be a notch below last season- but the personalities are getting interesting. Anthony Bourdain rocks- Loved him as a judge. I don't understand why, if Marcel was the only one who attempted to pay attention to the assignment(cutting edge etc.) that they gave the win to the elia's mushroom soup- was it the only edible course?

ksoss

I don't understand the hate for Marcel either. Yes, he's arrogant but so are a lot of other people in the business. You have to be more than just confident to make it big. I admire him for just standing there and letting Betty throw her temper tantrums.

He just stands there and takes it because in addition to being an untalented, pompous, pontificating shoemaker, he's a coward.

Honestly, I can. Not. Imagine ever having the misfortune to ever have to work with this guy. I would never get tired of mocking him on the line; off the line, I would neither smoke his weed nor drink his beer. He should spend some time as a dishwasher to learn a little humility.

Betty is 90% as bad. I think she resents all those late nights making her looks slip so her "let me get away with it, I'm a cute blonde with big knockers" routine doesn't work as well as it used to.

My money's on Ilan, or maybe Cliff. They've both got chops and technique and integrity. They both seem to have the ability to just let the food be what it is without trying to make it into something it isn't.

Tony, your "Flinstonian execution" line made me LOL, and I'm ripping that off at the first available opportunity.

Edited by Reefpimp (log)

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Betty is 90% as bad.  I think she resents all those late nights making her looks slip so her "let me get away with it, I'm a cute blonde with big knockers" routine doesn't work as well as it used to.

Ooh, nice burn. Nasty. Hehehe.

Betty is 90% as bad.  I think she resents all those late nights making her looks slip so her "let me get away with it, I'm a cute blonde with big knockers" routine doesn't work as well as it used to.

Ooh, nice burn. Nasty. Hehehe.

Ohh, mee-OWWWW! Heheheheheh! Perfectly true comment, though! As for Bourdain's judging: while I loved every one-liner, as usual, the best moment, for me, was his reaction - was it to Betty saying she didn't do cutting edge, or to Michael in general? - anyway, he just look stunned and leant back, speechless, like, "you . . . WHAT?!!!!" But I saw those dark eyes glitter furiously. Hehhehehheh. Tony "gobsmacked" into wordlessness. That was priceless! :laugh::laugh:

As this thread rehashes the biting wit of the Bourdainisms from the last show to my delight (as mentioned previously, my favorite too was "Flintstonian execution" followed by "What kind of a crackhouse are you running here?!?"), I wonder how much it would take to bribe or con him into replacing Colicchio as head judge for TC3. 2 million bucks? a sacrificial goat? Honestly, I think he would do a good job of putting people like Betty and Marcel in their place while getting guys like Michael to "focus, dude."

Few points....

About Marcel being an arrongant 20-something... he's a master chef at Robuchon! While master chef may not mean what it used to, still that's a great accomplishment at 26! Especially in a town like Vegas... I mean if he were master chef at , say, Mr Lucky's at the Hard Rock I'd be a little more skeptical of the title. But the kid has something.. Bravo is just editing him to be the new Stephen... thing is, even Stephen isn't the guy they made him out to be and redeemed himself... I'd be a little snotty too if I was in a competetion with someone who is more about playing favourites with everyone and brown-nosing than actually producing quality product (Betty).... He had every chance to be an ass and throw Betty to the lions on that Camp Glucose challenge.. but he didn't... and look how he got paid back...

As for Michael... I see some potential in him and it sucks that everyone in that Thanksgiving competetion with him just shot his ass down! There was a spark there and at least he's trying, instead of all these other fools who keeping thinking that being in the middle instead of best or worst is going to get them through to the final 3! He started off rough, but there is something in him that has potential to do good.. if someone would give him a chance instead of these stupid group competetions!

I have to say, Tony is my god... but this is the first time I was every dissapointed with his appearance... the man talks and writes like all the crazy ass thoughts I always have running through my head that I can't seem to verbalise...

Yet he was somehow muted... and me thinks it was Bravo's call! I mean come on.... he had such great material and situations to work with... yet, it didn't feel like Tony...

One last thing... can someone get Tom a midol please?

Edited by psychobombshell (log)
Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

I have to say, Tony is my god...

Yet he was somehow muted...

Yeah, totally, but I don't think that was Bravo's doing per se. He's muted himself. I caught a No Reservation episode (leftover material, mostly) where he expressed the opinion that he didn't like "non-religious vegetarianism." I mean, in my opinion, it seems the best vegetarian food tends to emerge from religious cultures -- like Indian food, rather than secular cultures -- but damn, what a horrible cop-out! It's like -- oh hell, I know this isn't gonna be a good analogy but -- like Doctor Phil moving to Utah and saying he doesn't approve of non-religious polygamy.

I have to say, Tony is my god...

Yet he was somehow muted...

Yeah, totally, but I don't think that was Bravo's doing per se. He's muted himself. I caught a No Reservation episode (leftover material, mostly) where he expressed the opinion that he didn't like "non-religious vegetarianism." I mean, in my opinion, it seems the best vegetarian food tends to emerge from religious cultures -- like Indian food, rather than secular cultures -- but damn, what a horrible cop-out! It's like -- oh hell, I know this isn't gonna be a good analogy but -- like Doctor Phil moving to Utah and saying he doesn't approve of non-religious polygamy.

I'll just say this on his comment.. I think he is coming from a point of view of being critical of those who turn a bit snooty towards those who eat meat. I also think he tried to give them a fair shake, but the experiences came up short...I agree with your observation... and I'll leave it that so we don't get off topic :wink:

About Marcel being an arrongant 20-something... he's a master chef at Robuchon! While master chef may not mean what it used to, still that's a great accomplishment at 26! Especially in a town like Vegas... I mean if he were master chef at , say, Mr Lucky's at the Hard Rock I'd be a little more skeptical of the title. But the kid has something.. Bravo is just editing him to be the new Stephen... thing is, even Stephen isn't the guy they made him out to be and redeemed himself... I'd be a little snotty too if I was in a competetion with someone who is more about playing favourites with everyone and brown-nosing than actually producing quality product (Betty).... He had every chance to be an ass and throw Betty to the lions on that Camp Glucose challenge.. but he didn't... and look how he got paid back...

yeap I agree Marcel can cook and has imagination and the cojones to do what he likes. Unfortunatly he does come off a bit arrogant and Betty "crocker" is taking advantage of that and boy can she talk. Seems like it really backfired last time around though.

I was very pleased with sending Marissa off recently...

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

In the begining, I thought Betty was going to be a cool person. Boy, was I ever wrong. What a shrill, insane harpy.

I don't get why everyone hates Marcel so much, either. His food is weird (not in a good way) but at least he's not patently offensive like so many of the other contestants. I think his technique is really killer, but I don't think he really has much of an understanding of flavor combinations. I would love to see him to something wacky and out-there that actually looked, sounded, and tasted good.

I am convinced that all this show is about is throwing some idiots into a room and watching the drama that insues, and whether or not Padma can get her skirts any shorter or tighter with each passing week.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I am convinced that all this show is about is throwing some idiots into a room and watching the drama that insues, and whether or not Padma can get her skirts any shorter or tighter with each passing week.

Isn't that what ever reality competetion is about? :raz::wub:

Isn't that what ever reality competetion is about? :raz::wub:

You know, yes! You are correct! You win the desert island and the internship at Trump!

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I also think that Tony Bourdain seemed strangely muted- also, he seemed to have less camera time than most guest judges... Maybe Bravo wanted only a whiff of Bourdain without the true flavor- or should I say the flavor without the taste. I understand why Tom's cranky- but he's beginning to look like a stuffed frog! Midol or Ativan would be good. :wink:

ksoss

Few points....

I have to say, Tony is my god... but this is the first time I was every dissapointed with his appearance... the man talks and writes like all the crazy ass thoughts I always have running through my head that I can't seem to verbalise...

Yet he was somehow muted... and me thinks it was Bravo's call! I mean come on.... he had such great material and situations to work with... yet, it didn't feel like Tony...

One last thing... can someone get Tom a midol please?

Contrary to popular belief, one thing I've noticed about Tony is that he is only full-blown Tony at his own live gigs -when he is doing a joint appearance with other foodie celebs or supporting someone else's gig (like the Kitchen Secrets talk and book signing at the New York Public Library - that was about pushing Buford's book) he is far more restrained. He might still be the funniest guy in the room, but he consciously, I believe, does not try to suck out all the oxygen in the room when other people are involved. He was a guest judge, and was not going to wipe every other judge off the boards by going full-bore Tony. At the 92nd Street Y gig, he was at about the same level as you saw him on Top Chef, because he was part of a panel - with Ruhlman, Ripert, and Gabrielle Hamilton. As gonzo as AB is, the one thing he always says - in print and on NR - is be a good guest. I think that's exactly what he was trying to do - be funny, be Tony, as is expected, but without pushing everyone else off-screen. Then, too, he might have been edited down a bit! :cool:

Oh, so that thing yesterday, where Mia teamed up with Betty was a rerun? I was perplexed by Mia doing that -- we obviously don't see everything that goes on, but that seemed like a poorly written movie script, where characters do things for no sensible reason or motivation. Or people doing bad things, but others not reacting to it...

This is something that only dawned on me this morning, after I put it into perspective with the idiot nightmare I had last night: I dreamt I was on Top Chef...

Now, this wasn't just yer run-of-the-mill, showing up to give a speech without yer pants nightmare. I can give speeches just fine, but put me in one of them elimination challenges, and I'd be running away like Richard Simmons being chased by Letterman and the extinguisher. Oh, and I did have pants -- except they kept falling off, so I got to experience the no-pants thing repeatedly. That's a clever and evil twist to a classic nightmare, that.

So I found myself in the kitchen, but couldn't t even remember what I was supposed to be cooking. Big panic. Someone tells me the trash can is overflowing, seemingly expecting me to take it out -- but I was the one who did it the last time, so my anxiety turns to anger and I grab the trash can and just HEAVE it across the room and out a big, oldfashioned, multi-paned window. There's a huge crash, broken glass, wood splinters and trash all over the place, and I go "Well, that's that sorted!" but everyone's looking at me with these moon-faced expression of surprise. I'm thinking well at least it'll draw attention from the fact that I'm not cooking anything -- but then my pants fell down again... All while this is going on, I'm thinking in the back of my head, "Why the hell aren't they throwing me off the show? What's wrong with these people?"

Something finally dawned on me. I think I know the reason -- I musta won the immunity challenge.

I mean hell, if you win the immunity challenge, that's what you should do -- take proper advantage of it. How many times are you gonna get immunity in your life, uh? I'd draw a smiley face on a plate with ketchup, but use an old dog turd for the mouth, and tell them it's an old, traditional Belgian delicassy.

At the 92nd Street Y gig, he was at about the same level as you saw him on Top Chef, because he was part of a panel - with Ruhlman,

That's my dream Top Chef jusdges panel right there.. AB and Ruhlman... oh the fun that could be had!

At the 92nd Street Y gig, he was at about the same level as you saw him on Top Chef, because he was part of a panel - with Ruhlman,

That's my dream Top Chef jusdges panel right there.. AB and Ruhlman... oh the fun that could be had!

AB, Ruhlman and BATALI. We'd be p____g ourselves laughing, but they'd have to bleep Mario to pieces (!) :laugh::laugh: