• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good take-out Sushi/Sashimi on the UES

pups224

Last night was another very boring take-out sushi night fom Ichiro. Very mediochre

sushi and sashimi deluxe and a really boring pre-made futomaki. The selection was so routine, salmon, yellowtail, tuna and fluke.

When we want to spluge, we order fom Gajyumaru, which has excellent, interesting fish, but ends up costing $90 for two.

Does anyome have any suggestions for decent sushi on the UES for about $50 for two?

It's too bad, there was a place SESUMI that just closed a year ago which would ahve fit the bill -

So in that case, try taking out from Sushi Seki:

From the Sushi Bar

Sushi

reg 18.00 dlx 23.00

Sashimi

reg 20.00 dlx 25.00

Sushi & Sashimi Combination

Chirashi Sushi

Tekka Don

Futo Maki

Three Golden Flowers Special Combination Three Roll Entree

veg 20.00 reg 28.00

Seki's Choice/ Omakase

Seki's Original Special Recipe Sushi Platter

For One $35; For Two $68; For Three $100

Omakase

I kind of don't expect any sushi place, even good ones, to have excellent take out sushi. By its very nature, the quality of presentation and temperature control will be lost. Plus the only 2 times I've gotten sick on sushi were from takeout sushi.

I kind of don't expect any sushi place, even good ones, to have excellent take out sushi. By its very nature, the quality of presentation and temperature control will be lost. Plus the only 2 times I've gotten sick on sushi were from takeout sushi.

I concur. Takeout sushi should be edible. That's about it.

That's pretty much true for takeout anything. Chinese, Indian, pizza, etc.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Working 12+ hours/day is not condusive to eating out. I asked for recommendations, not a sermon.

It's too bad, there was a place SESUMI that just closed a year ago which would ahve fit the bill -

So in that case, try taking out from Sushi Seki:

From the Sushi Bar

Sushi 

reg 18.00 dlx 23.00

Sashimi 

reg 20.00 dlx 25.00

Sushi & Sashimi Combination 

Chirashi Sushi 

Tekka Don 

Futo Maki 

Three Golden Flowers Special Combination Three Roll Entree

veg 20.00 reg 28.00

Seki's Choice/ Omakase

Seki's Original Special Recipe Sushi Platter

For One $35; For Two $68; For Three $100

Omakase

Thanks for the post.

Working 12+ hours/day is not condusive to eating out. I asked for recommendations, not a sermon.

In Japan takeout sushi is not unheard of... it's just a different experience than sitting at a sushi bar. But sometimes you're just in the mood. When I worked late in Japan I could get delivery or takeout form the kaitenzushi places and it was great

It's not a sermon. I just wonder if high expectations for takeout sushi are unrealistic especially if we're in NYC and not Japan. But it's understandable that you would want the best possible takeout sushi, to take the sting out of a 12+ hour workday.

Edited by jeanki (log)

I was never disappointed by Sushi Hana. – Heavy turnover does say something for freshness and they have some crafty rolls if you want to play around.

Another place I used to like very much (It's been 5yrs since I lived there) is the sleeper, Tokubei 86 (one of, if not the first sushi joint in the hood). The owner (Japanese) is the sushi chef (or was when I went yrs ago) so you can be assured there’s pride and quality control. Plus, I remember them having a decent selection of seasonal fish. -Had some of the best Bonito of my life there

I haven’t been to either in awhile and don’t recall doing takeout but I think both are worth a try.

That wasn't chicken

• 3 months later...

I don't know how far uptown they'll deliver, but the delivery from Sushi Yasuda is the best takeout sushi I've ever had. For about $20 you can get 5 pieces of sushi and 2 rolls, plus soup or salad. They even throw in a bag of genmai-cha tea. There are other options too -- check out their menu here.