• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What kind of cakes are popular in your area?

lenabo

What kind of cakes are popular in your area?

I have heard that some Russian very popular cakes people do not like e.g. in America. On the contrary e.g. fruit cake, carrot cake people do not like here.

Mostly our food preferences are come from our childhood. At the Soviet time it was possible only to buy sponge cake with buttercream filling (I hated it :crying:), short pastry (hate it also), sponge with egg-white filling and covering. And in Moscow it was possible to get the best cake "Ptichje Moloko" - very-very delicious (but only in Moscow :wacko: )

To be honest I never eat purchased cakes, I make them at home since my childhood.

And there were cakes that people made at home - Russian honey cake, cake "Praga" (cake with chocolate buttercream filling (BC+cocoa powder) and chocolate glase (cocoa, butter and milk)), merengue cake (small merengs with BC), "Gorka" - small fried pieces of pastry (? - eggs, brendy and flour) with boiled condenced milk glueing and some others can't remember.

And the most popular filling was (and is) BC with sweet condensed milk or boiled for 3 hours sweet condensed milk (yum, it tastes like caramel) with butter.

But as I can see now people prefer to order Russian many-layes honey cake with sour cream filling, chocolate cake, sponge cake with boiled sweet condensed milk BC filling. Also I make american chocolate cake with chocolate glase inside and raspberry+cream filling (yum!) and people love it.

Quite popular still is sponge with egg-whites filling and icing. Fondant was never popular here and now cakes with fondant are quite uncommon

It was never popular to put spicery like cinnamon, cloves, lemon or orange peel etc. (only put them to kulichi).

Edited by lenabo (log)

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

There are definite favorites in the different regions of the United States. In the South (although I am not from the southern US), a layer cake called Red Velvet is popular - it is a plain cake with a very little bit of chocolate powder and a lot of liquid red food coloring. Here in the Northeast (Boston area), I get a lot of requests for "marble" cake - it's vanilla and chocolate cake batter swirled together in the pan before it is baked. But because I don't have a good scratch recipe for marble cake, I use two layers of choc or vanilla cake and one layer of the opposite (for example - two choc one vanilla) in my bakeshop.

Friends of ours have recently adopted a child from St Petersburg. I would love to make some things for her now that she is here in the US (she is a little over 3 years old). Can you share some recipes for things that children love over there? I know I can't exactly replicate it but I could try to come close.... Thanks, Lenabo!

Mostly our food  preferences are come from our childhood. At the Soviet time it was possible only to buy sponge cake with buttercream filling (I hated it  :crying:), short pastry (hate it also), sponge with egg-white filling and covering. And in Moscow it was possible to get the best cake "Ptichje Moloko" - very-very delicious (but only in Moscow  :wacko: )

To be honest I never eat purchased cakes, I make them at home since my childhood.

And there were cakes that people made at home - Russian honey cake, cake "Praga" (cake with chocolate buttercream filling (BC+cocoa powder) and chocolate glase (cocoa, butter and milk)), merengue cake (small merengs with BC), "Gorka" - small fried pieces of pastry (? - eggs, brendy and flour) with boiled condenced milk glueing and some others can't remember.

Lenabo, have you ever thought about starting a Russian cake/pastry thread? I know myself and others would be fascinated to learn more about the traditional and modern cakes and pastries that are popular in Russia.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I have to say tres leches here as well .I actually never tryed one before , and I really like it , I made home made one , and I made one for my son's first birthday ,with fresh whipped cream , its delicious :raz:

Vanessa

Here in Korea, they have these cream cakes (that's what they call them) that are chiffon cakes covered in white icing and topped with fresh fruit (strawberries, cherries, pineapples, kiwi, etc) over whipped cream.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I don't really know what cake is popular here in the US, but in Japan, chiffon cakes and crepes are so popular. I've even tried a spinach chiffon :rolleyes:

O.M.G. Yuck!

Most shops here have cheesecake, either the fluffy Japanese style one or the denser kind, sometimes both. Cream cakes--you know, some sort of sponge and some sort of creamy filling like buttercream (fake and otherwise) or ganache.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

The most popular cakes in Hawaii are chiffon layer cakes with tropical-flavored fillings/toppings such as guava, lilikoi (passion fruit), and coconut. Chocolate dobash torte, a layer cake with chocolate filling and frosting, is another favorite.

Tropical fruits are also widely used in quick breads such as mango bread and papaya bread; these often contain macadamia nuts as well.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

At least I am here with a big dictionary and instead of translating the scientific article from English to Russian I am translating my thoughts from Russian into English :laugh:

Thank you all guys! It is so interesting to read about cake preferences all around the world!

And how could I forgot another Russian famous many layered cake - 'NAPOLEON'! There are 2 versions - the moist and dry ones! The moist one is very... moist :biggrin: and the dry one is crispy with caramel taste. I think the moist version is Jewish. It is very moist and milky, with probably more then 20 layers. Some people are mad abut it! And the crispy one is Soviet – there are also about 10-15 layers with boiled condensed milk filling.

So, “NAPOLEON” is very delicious cake, both type of them.

JeanneCake

I get a lot of requests for "marble" cake - it's vanilla and chocolate cake batter swirled together in the pan before it is baked

Oh, I forgot, in Russia such type of cake is also very popular, we call it “Zebra” and it has no filling, may be some iced sugar or chocolate glase on the top.

Friends of ours have recently adopted a child from St Petersburg. I would love to make some things for her now that she is here in the US (she is a little over 3 years old). Can you share some recipes for things that children love over there? I know I can't exactly replicate it but I could try to come close....
Sure I can share some recipes! But I’m afraid that children all around the world love the same food – chips, burgers, chewing gum, chocolates and sweets :raz: . From some Russian preferences may be pelmeni? I would like to help you!

gfron1

Tres Leches
I have never heard about it :wacko: . What does it tastes like?

sanrensho

Lenabo, have you ever thought about starting a Russian cake/pastry thread? I know myself and others would be fascinated to learn more about the traditional and modern cakes and pastries that are popular in Russia.

gfron1

I agree. Just like Chufi's dutch thread, having a Russian thread would be very exciting.

It would be very interesting for me but I’m afraid my English is not good enough for this and I am a bad photographer… Also Alina gave some Russian recipes and she had a very interesting blog here about Russia and Russian food! If she will be so kind to do it with me (and other Russians are very welcome) I will do it. But only after my kitchen repair is finished, I do a big remount and who did it themselves know perfectly well what it is.

Chihiran

I don't really know what cake is popular here in the US, but in Japan, chiffon cakes and crepes are so popular. I've even tried a spinach chiffon

A spinach chiffon??? Sounds very interesting!

Domestic Goddess

Here in Korea, they have these cream cakes (that's what they call them) that are chiffon cakes covered in white icing and topped with fresh fruit (strawberries, cherries, pineapples, kiwi, etc) over whipped cream.

Yum! Sounds very delicious! Unfortunately here in the far north fruit is so so expencive!

SuzySushi

The most popular cakes in Hawaii are chiffon layer cakes with tropical-flavored fillings/toppings such as guava, lilikoi (passion fruit), and coconut. Chocolate dobash torte, a layer cake with chocolate filling and frosting, is another favorite.

Yum, yum, tropical fruit! But unavailable here :sad: And what is Chocolate dobash torte?

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

It would be very interesting for me but I’m afraid my English is not good enough for this and I am a bad photographer… Also Alina gave some Russian recipes and she had a very interesting blog  here about Russia and Russian food!

Lenabo, your English is great! I have no trouble understanding your writing. I did read Alinka's blog and that is what initially piqued my curiosity about Russian cakes/pastry. It's a subject that most of us know very little about, and I look forward to learning more from your posts.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

SuzySushi

Yum, yum, tropical fruit! But unavailable here :sad: And what is Chocolate dobash torte?

A Chocolate Dobash Torte is a white layer cake with a creamy chocolate filling and frosting. Here's a link to a recipe I found online. :smile:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

The "traditional" cake here is tres leches, but I'd say that the popular cakes in restaurants are the usual: anything involving chocolate and layers, and carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

Los Equipales has a lovely tres leches, not at all dry like I've had in some other local establishments.

Andrea

in Albuquerque

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!