• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tell me how to glaze a pecan, please!

Kim Shook

I just tasted Sahale Snacks Valdosta Blend snack mix: glazed pecans, dried cranberries, black pepper and orange zest. This is gooooood stuff. But I think I can do better. I need to know how to glaze pecans - I want a really clear, smooth and brittle glaze. I know someone here knows how to get this! Ta! Kim

This is how I tend to glaze pecans:

1 1/2 - 2 cups pecan halves

3 T butter, melted

3 T brown sugar

1 t kosher salt

1/4 t cayanne pepper

Toss the pecans with the butter, sugar salt and cayanne. Bake at 350 for 6 or 7 minutes until bubbly. cool then separate, chop if desired.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've found humidity is a killer though. I glazed a whole bunch of pecans to use as garnish on plated desserts for an event and I wish I could have had a warning that they were decoration only. One bite and your teeth were terribly stuck together. Not a pleasant experience. I'm pretty sure I just dipped them in sugar that had been cooked till amber. Perhaps that's not the best way to do them. They look beautiful so if there's a better way to do this I'd love to know.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Toss them with beaten egg whites. Drain thoroughly in a china cap or colander, but don't let them dry. Toss with granulated or castor sugar, as well as any spices you deem desirable. Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer, and bake in a moderate oven until crisp.

Not prone to clumping or gumming up, but don't make them on a rainy day unless you're serving them immediately.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Toss them with beaten egg whites.  Drain thoroughly in a china cap or colander, but don't let them dry.  Toss with granulated or castor sugar, as well as any spices you deem desirable.  Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer, and bake in a moderate oven until crisp.

Not prone to clumping or gumming up, but don't make them on a rainy day unless you're serving them immediately.

But these won't be shiny like the ones I glazed. Is there a way to get shiny ones consistently that won't pull out your fillings?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

you can do them chinese style where you blanch in boiling water then toss in powdered sugar, let dry then deep fry. they'll be shiny and crunchy and won't pull out fillings. but some of the other suggestions upthread are very good as well.

canadianbakin', the version you're doing is just covering them in clear caramelized sugar and that's the issue. it's a hard candy more than a glaze.

Fire glazed walnuts or pecans

(adapted from "Modern Art of Chinese Cooking by Barbera Tropp)

Warning: If these are not locked away as soon as they are made they will evaporate mysteriously

Step 1 (may be omitted) Removing the bitterness from the nuts

Cover the nuts with boiling water in a heatproof bowl, and allow to soak for 30 mins. Drain, then dry in a low oven.

Step 2 Glazing your nuts (!)

Heat some oil in a wok over high heat until smoking. Add the nuts then sugar (1 Tbs to 1 cup/ qtr lb nuts, more if you like sweet) and salt (1/2 tsp). Stir gently until caramelised.

Pour out onto silicon baking paper or silpat, separating any clumps.

Let cool then hide them.

Edited by jackal10 (log)