• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food & Wine Festival

hungryCAT

Has anyone been yet this year? Hubby and I went last Monday and will

try to go at least a couple more times this month. We really enjoyed the

food at Japan, Thailand, and Mexico, among others. I also attended the

Yellow Tail wine seminar and tasted some excellent wines.

Who else has been and what are your thoughts?

Has anyone been yet this year?  Hubby and I went last Monday and will

try to go at least a couple more times this month.  We really enjoyed the

food at Japan, Thailand, and Mexico, among others. I also attended the

Yellow Tail wine seminar and tasted some excellent wines.

Who else has been and what are your thoughts?

My wife and I went yesterday actually. We know we are going twice more in the next few weeks, so we started slow. We really enjoyed the Spanokopita and its wine pairing and the pierogie wasn't too bad. The escargot were pretty gummy, but it was out of a cart, so how much can you expect. The goat cheese tart, also from the French area, was nice. The dough was very sweet, and it paired up with the cheese very well.

We watched a cooking demo in Turkey, but it was for a cold olive salad (didn't know ahead of time). Basically just tossed ingredients together. The recipe sounded decent, but the "demo" was kind of a waste of time. The presenter was very nice though, and did try to weave in a few stories from her homeland.

I was wondering, I know I can google and such not and find what I am looking for, but how much does it cost and is it worth the cost? I drink at least once a year doing "around the world" but that is to get drunk, not to taste what everyone has to offer. Insight on if it is worth the money for the experience would be nice. Hope to hear some responses soon.

We will be in Orlando in 2 weeks, and yesterday I just realized it will be the food and wine fest. I have been several times in the past, and I have always had a good time. Epcot is really the only disney park I ever visit, and having the F&W fest there when I go is just an added bonus!

Once I go, I will type up a report!

I was wondering, I know I can google and such not and find what I am looking for, but how much does it cost and is it worth the cost?  I drink at least once a year doing "around the world" but that is to get drunk, not to taste what everyone has to offer.  Insight on if it is worth the money for the experience would be nice.  Hope to hear some responses soon.

I don't think it's worth the time/money (and I am fairly local - live near Jacksonville - and have a really big travel/food budget).

We were there a couple of years ago - and the thing that is a problem - the thing that made us mad - was how people would come in groups - and then one person in a group would be selected to save 10 seats for a cooking demo - or a concert - an hour or two ahead of time. And when you got there 15 minutes before - all the seats were taken (but empty - because the other 9 people in the group wouldn't show up until the last minute). My husband almost got into a fist fight with someone who was "saving" 20 seats before a concert. Disney people wouldn't/didn't do anything (and I'd like to see someone try to do that when they're on line for a ride - Disney people would never allow it). In short - I'd never go again. Robyn

Many of the events at the F & W festival are free with your park pass. Some of the events such as the lunch and learn or the wine dinners are an additional charge but in all likelihood those events will already be sold out. There are 30 minute cooking demos at the Odyssey Center and these take place daily. The first 100 in line will get a seat for these events. There are also wine, beer and cheese tastings all around Epcot and these are at kiosks. There are dessert demonstrations and of course the big event, Party for the Senses. Party will cost you an additional $95 but it is well worth it. Party takes place every Saturday night during the F & W fest and tickets should not be a problem. 25 guest chefs at Party with 10 being out of towners like myself. There is also 10 or 15 wine and beer stations (many of these staffed by the winemakers themselves) and live Soleil performances. Get those tickets now though and enjoy!

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"