• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

late night SF eats

dagordon

Hi,

I'm looking for fairly late night food recs -- around 11pm -- for both a Tuesday and Saturday in SF. We're staying at the San Francisco Hilton but location isn't crucial, good food is. We've already looked at Slanted Door, Gary Danko, but they close too early. Zuni is a possibility -- any other ideas?

thanks for your help!

David

Zuni is open to midnight Tues-Sat so I'd definately consider that.

Two other options:

Ryoko's

619 Taylor Street (between Post & Sutter)

San Francisco, CA 94102

6pm-2am daily

(Good sushi in a casual environment; a few blocks west of Union Sq.)

Brandy Ho's Hunan Food

217 Columbus Ave.

San Francisco, CA 94133

(415) 788-7527

Dinner:

Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm,

Friday: 3:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am,

Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm

(One of my favorite Chinese restaurants in the city; located on lower Columbus, not far from the Transamerica building)

edited to add: The Globe in the Financial District is open until 1:00 am every night except Sunday when it is closed. I haven't eaten there in many years but I think I read a review recently that they had been rejuvenated with new ownership or chef.

290 Pacific Avenue

Maybe someone who has been there more recently will have some comments.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This was in the SF Chronicle Sunday magazine recently:

SF Late Night Dining

I didn't know Ryoko was known for being a such a late night spot! It's featured in the article. A friend of mine used to go there all the time late at night.

Here's the list for posterity:

Late-night hot spots

Brick. 1085 Sutter St. (at Larkin St.), S.F.; (415) 441-4232. Dinner 5 p.m.-midnight nightly

Farmer Brown. 25 Mason St. (at Turk), S.F.; (415) 409-3276. Dinner 5 p.m.-midnight Monday-Saturday

Globe. 290 Pacific (near Battery), S.F.; (415) 391-4132. Dinner 6 p.m.-1 a.m. Monday-Saturday; 6 p.m.-midnight Sunday

Nopa. 560 Divisadero St. (at Hayes), S.F.; (415) 864-8643. Dinner 6 p.m.-1 a.m. nightly

Oola Restaurant & Bar. 860 Folsom St. (between Fourth and Fifth streets), S.F.; (415) 995-2061. Dinner 6 p.m.-midnight Sunday and Monday; 6 p.m.-1 a.m. Tuesday-Saturday

Ryoko Restaurant & Bar. 619 Taylor St. (between Sutter and Post streets), S.F.; (415) 775-1028. Dinner 6 p.m.-2 a.m. nightly

Thai House Express (Tenderloin). 901 Larkin St. (at Geary), S.F.; (415) 441-2248. Open noon-midnight daily

Yuet Lee. 1300 Stockton St. (at Broadway), S.F.; (415) 982-6020. 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday-Monday

Other late-night spots:

Cafe Maritime. 2417 Lombard St. (at Scott), S.F.; (415) 885-2530. Dinner 5:30 p.m.-1 a.m. nightly

Grubstake. 1525 Pine St. (between Van Ness and Polk), S.F.; (415) 673-8268. 5 p.m.-4 a.m. Monday-Friday; 10 a.m.-4 a.m. Saturday and Sunday

Osha Thai Noodle Cafe (Tenderloin). 696 Geary St. (at Leavenworth), S.F.; (415) 673-2368. 11 a.m.-1 a.m. Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-3 a.m. Friday and Saturday

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

This restaurant was featured on Check, Please! on PBS. Everyone loved it and the food looked so good.

http://blogs.kqed.org/food/?p=140

Hing Lung

674 Broadway Street (at Stockton)

San Francisco, CA 94133

Open Mon-Sun 8:00 am – 1:00 am

Signature Dishes: Peking Duck, Steamed Chicken with Ginger Sauce, Congee, Chinese Fried Bread and Donuts

I'm sorry I didn't think about it until VERY late last evening (3:00 a.m. or so) - but on Fridays and Saturdays, Bix is open until 1:00 a.m. and would be a great place to go for some late-night nosh (fabulous tartare!) and a Sidecar.

there is a great place on polk and vallejo called tablespoon (www.tablespoonsf.com) which is open until midnight - when i used to live in that neighborhood, it was easily the only think open after 9:30. the late night eating really is tough to come by here. . .

brendan jackson

www.codcheeks.com

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions, they were immensely helpful. We ended up going to Brick, and enjoyed it very much. We had the fig and artichoke salad, the foie, the confit buffalo wings, the shrimp and grits, the ribeye, and the fries. The quality of the food was quite impressive. It was a very nice way to unwind after a long and dehumanizing flight.

• 6 months later...