• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

President's Choice Knives

Anna N

Saw the same ad...looks too contrived though.

I'll stick with my Global's

And I will stick with my Thomas Keller Signature Series MACs. This isn't a pissing match. No one was claiming they were Global-quality knives. For a budget knife, they're very good. For a $200 knife, obviously the criteria becomes a little more involved. But thanks for letting us know you've got some fancy Global knives.

Edit: typos.

wow wow wow...no need to get all snippy! FYI - If you order Global knives online, you can get a mid sized knife for about $70-80...pairing knives for $30ish...

I never argued whether they are good or not, I simply said that the Ad looked contrived, and obviously these chefs were paid quite well to say what they did. That does not mean that these knives may not be decent quality, but if you are going to invest in a good knife that will hold its edge, spend a bit more money, you will be happier in the long run.

Oh and I agree with Librarian, I have used various Henckle series and Wustoff and I much prefer the Japanese blades.

edited to add - you can also get an excellent kyocera ceramic pairing knife for $25-30 online.

Ah ceramic, great for tomatoes because of the sharpness, and for cutting lettuce, no browning, but they shatter or chip if dropped.

Mark

Actually Mark, this catalogue I just got offers a 3 year warranty against breaking...thought that was kind of interesting for a ceramic knife.

I have never owned a ceramic knife but I did own a ceramic harp-shaped peeler. Dropped it on the tile floor less than a week later. No more ceramic peeler!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ah ceramic, great for tomatoes because of the sharpness, and for cutting lettuce, no browning, but they shatter or chip if dropped.

Are they really that special with regard to sharpness? Something tells me that steel knife can always be sharper if sharpened properly...

As for lettuce - great idea, I'll consider getting one...

I used to get the Ashton Greene catalogue. They are based in Ottawa right? Will they still replace a broken ceramic knife if it is dropped? I know most places will only replace if there is a defect or if it is a result of regular wear and tear, not including falls.

The Kyocera ceramics are, in my experience, very sharp. They supposively hold their edge for a very long time. ( I have heard 5 years bantered around, but I have never used one for that length of time).

Kyocera even has ones that mimic Damascus Steel:Kyocera Damascus-like Knives

Mark

Are they really that special with regard to sharpness? Something tells me that steel knife can always be sharper if sharpened properly...

As for lettuce - great idea, I'll consider getting one...

I don't have one but they are supposedly extremely sharp on delivery, and will maintain the edge for a long, long time without maintenance. But re-sharpening has to be done by Kyocera or their associates.

Does anyone here have any experience with them, pro or con?

A 3 year warranty from Ashton Greene is interesting, but we need to know details about dropping it. This is an expensive mail order store, and they dropped me from the mailing list long ago.

I don't have a Kyocera knife, but I do have one of their peelers, and they are plenty sharp! Trust me. A cut in my finger that I should have gotten stitches for showed me that!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Just checked Ashton Green online, and they are ambiguous, at best, about warranty on broken knives. They won't cover prying or bone damage. They offer a five year warranty on manufacturing defects, and while they do not exclude dropping, I doubt if that is included.

Just checked Ashton Green online, and they are ambiguous, at best, about warranty on broken knives. They won't cover prying or bone damage. They offer a five year warranty on manufacturing defects, and while they do not exclude dropping, I doubt if that is included.

If you are considering getting a ceramic knife, why not get the pink one that Kyocera is selling where some of the proceeds go towards breast cancer research.

Ming Tsai, it seems, still pushes the Kyocera line.

Any more experiences with the PC line from anybody?

Mark