• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joan Cusack's Local Flavor

McAuliflower

Right... I've always liked her, and it's her first coupla shows so hopefully she'll loosen up and get into it...

At this point, all I keep grumbling to myself is just how much better I would be in those surroundings and circumstances...

I would love and appreciate the people--and the food more...

---and nobody on EG would ever make fun of me! :raz:

Food simply isn't her thing---and if that continues to be evident, it ain't gonna be pretty...

Edited by Mild Bill (log)

Right... I've always liked her, and it's her first coupla shows so hopefully she'll loosen up and get into it...

At this point, all I keep grumbling to myself is just how much better I would be in those surroundings and circumstances...

I would love and appreciate the people--and the food more...

---and nobody on EG would ever make fun of me!  :raz:

Food simply isn't her thing---and if that continues to be evident, it ain't gonna be pretty...

Still beats the crap they're putting on Food Network these days.

Very dissappointing. I saw the show on Portugal and she e-nun-ce-at-ted every freaking word as if she was lecturing to morons. She went so slow when citing local names I wanted to hurl my shoe at the TV. She knows NOTHING about food, expressing distaste and alarm when asked to pick up a knife and cook.

If she's going to play Saint Julia, that's fine, I think she's a good choice. But the woman herself does not know food and simply should not be hosting a food show.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Very dissappointing. I saw the show on Portugal and she e-nun-ce-at-ted every freaking word as if she was lecturing to morons. She went so slow when citing local names I wanted to hurl my shoe at the TV. She knows NOTHING about food, expressing distaste and alarm when asked to pick up a knife and cook.

If she's going to play Saint Julia, that's fine, I think she's a good choice. But the woman herself does not know food and simply should not be hosting a food show.

she also shouldn't turn her nose up at something she hasn't even tried i.e. pig's ear and the blood sausage

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Wow. Joan is great in movies, but I honestly think that watching Rachael Ray explore the Mall of America whacked out on meth laced triple macchiato's would actually grate on my nerves LESS than watching Joan on a truffle hunt. Who else could mess up an Italian food and travel show this badly? Don't answer that. Please don't conjure any imagery for me.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

My wife and I tried to watch Cusak's truffle hunting episode last night. After a few minutes of her absurdly exaggerated and imbicilic facial expressions (making her look like she was imitating an excited third grader on a field trip), combined with her completely daft commentary, we changed the channel. We both felt a) too embarrassed for her to keep watching, and 2) insulted by her inanity. What is she, and/or her producers thinking?!

My wife and I tried to watch Cusak's truffle hunting episode last night. After a few minutes of her absurdly exaggerated and imbicilic facial expressions (making her look like she was imitating an excited third grader on a field trip), combined with her completely daft commentary, we changed the channel. We both felt a) too embarrassed for her to keep watching, and 2) insulted by her inanity. What is she, and/or her producers thinking?!

I am really starting to dislike this show, to the point where I fast foward through the parts where she is talking, waving her hands, or acting like a crazy kid. Luckily I have dvr so this is possible. The first two episodes were watchable, but last nights was awful, but I really wanted to watch it because the food and the people (sans joan) were so awesome and really loved what they were doing.

It also looks like she lost more weight, if that is even possible. Her jawline seems more defined and sharper than it did last week, or am I losing my mind? Maybe she shakes so much and is all over the place because she doesn't eat enough.

I like her in movies and think she is great, but how in the hell is she going to pull this julia thing off? I loved when she was trying to saute the onions and pancetta in the frying pan...I'm surprised all the stuff didn't fall into the fire.

How were julia's knife skills? good right? I never paid much attention to them when I watched her show, but I can't imagine Joan getting as good as her. I bet they will do shots of her hands not of her whole body, meaning they will use a double.

long post I know, sorry :biggrin:

edited to add: I also thought it was funny when she found out how old all of those meats were and how surprised she was when she found out that they scrape the mold off and still eat them.

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I watched two episodes, then deleted my Tivo season pass. It's embarassing that she doesn't bother to learn even a few simple words in the language of the country she's visiting--e.g., "Bonjour."

I am really starting to dislike this show, to the point where I fast foward through the parts where she is talking, waving her hands, or acting like a crazy kid.  Luckily I have dvr so this is possible.  The first two episodes were watchable, but last nights was awful, but I really wanted to watch it because the food and the people (sans joan) were so awesome and really loved what they were doing. 

Last night's show made me feel the same way. After she hopped in the woods trying to act like a dog and then looked bored by the pasta-making lesson, I fast-forwarded as well. She acts like an idiot everytime someone tries to teach her something.

I wish they'd take out the parts where she meets people; her hello! hello! hello! is driving me nuts. She'll say some words of the local language during her commentary (notwithstanding "Poncho" Vecchio -- uh, was that supposed to be funny?); why she can't say hello gets me.

I'll still record it, though, simply because she visits interesting places.

DITTO.

My wife and I tried to watch Cusak's truffle hunting episode last night. After a few minutes of her absurdly exaggerated and imbicilic facial expressions (making her look like she was imitating an excited third grader on a field trip), combined with her completely daft commentary, we changed the channel. We both felt a) too embarrassed for her to keep watching, and 2) insulted by her inanity.  What is she, and/or her producers thinking?!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Ditto, to ALL of the above...

I'm relieved that you all are seeing the same things I am...

I yell at the TV; "LEARN A FEW WORDS AND SENTENCES!", among other things...

And I loved her 'voluptuosity' in Adams Family---and wish she'd gain back a few pounds...

Ditto, to ALL of the above...

I'm relieved that you all are seeing the same things I am...

I yell at the TV; "LEARN A FEW WORDS AND SENTENCES!", among other things...

And I loved her 'voluptuosity' in Adams Family---and wish she'd gain back a few pounds...

I should search for the appropriate thread, but last night I saw an episode of Gourmet's Diary of an Epicure, a visit to a family in Rome for a "Home Cooking" meal, and a visit to the kitchen of a B&B kitchen in the countryside way south of Rome (with some fabulous foods being cooked) - what a difference in shows! In this episode, the program host, an American food writer, spoke Italian and could translate what the people were saying and converse with them directly, and it was a different universe from "Local Flavor" altogether, and a very intelligent, interesting show!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 4 years later...

I loved this show and it's wackiness. I have tried to find dvd's with the series, but haven't been able to locate them. If anyone has them, or knows where to get them please let me know.

Thanks.

bob@lightwireinc.com

"Gentlemen: Madame Dodin-Bouffant."

So, when there is the slightest doubt, Marry the Cook!

But then we wouldn't have Gwyneth Paltrow's wonderful blog and cookbook!

:raz:

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.