• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert Bar/Buffet Catering

DragonflyDesserts

I have a small cake shop and am doing a small dessert bar for 200 people. I'm not too worried about that but a phone call today got me thinking about all the details of catering a dessert buffet. A company call today wanting a dessert buffet for 1000 people. I've never attended a real dessert buffet let alone put one together. How do you figure how much to make, pricing, set up.... would you include set up, platters etc. in the pricing? Any pictures of buffets out there? I would appreciate any help, info, details on catering a dessert buffet. How many people would it take to do one that size. I'm I crazy to think that I could do it with one other worker?

Thanks for any information!

Cheryl Brown

Dragonfly Desserts

Hi, Cheryl,

I think you will need more than one person helping you. How many you need depends on what you are responsible for. Are you simply dropping off the desserts, or are you supposed to serve them?

Are you responsible for the entire event? Will you be supplying beverages? Plates? Glasses? Tablecloths? Napkins? Flatware? If so, will you be using china or paper for service? If china, it will need to be collected, scraped, and rinsed (if it's rented) or washed (if it's not). Are you responsible for clean-up after the event? Who is providing the tables? Tablecloths? Table skirts? Will they be set up when you arrive or will you need to do that?

Will the desserts all be individual in size, or will you have to cut and plate them? How many servings per person? If you allow, say, three small portions per person, how long will it take you to put 3,000 portions onto platters? (If you can transfer them an average of one every 5 seconds, which is 12 per minute, then you will be able to transfer 720 per hour - so it will take one person over 4 hours to transfer the portions to platters.) Depending on the type of desserts, it might take longer than that.

Don't forget that people will be asking you questions, and you will inevitably need to run around to look for something for a complaining customer, or clean up a spill (or spills) and handle any other unpredictable situations that come up.

Do yourself a huge, huge favor and don't understaff the event. If you do, the customer will be disappointed, you will feel defeated and totally exhausted, and you will have hurt your reputation.

If you have to rent equipment, be sure you cover that in your price. You can advise them there will be a charge for plate and flatware rental, linen rental, tray rental, whatever, and bill it as a separate line item on their invoice. Just be sure to include it in your bid so everything is clear up front and they aren't surprised.

Good luck! I hope you are tremendously successful!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

you might want to do a quick search here on eGullet. if the images are still available, former member wendy debord posted photos of some of the dessert buffets she produced while working as a pastry chef at a country club. it can give you some ideas. they might even be in her food blog and there's an index for those. if i find a link, i'll add it.

here is her food blog. only nine pages to go through! there are some great pictures of buffet tables (themed) if i remember correctly.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

I'd add that minis are a lot easier to keep looking attractive than whole desserts, and they let people try a lot of different items rather than having to commit to one or two things. (A whole cake can be beautiful, but once people start taking slices from it, it doesn't look nearly as nice.) Minis of course take much more time than whole desserts do, so build that into your cost.

I personally think it's important to keep trays looking fresh, so if I can help it I don't like to just drop off trays of food when I cater. It's much more appealing to look at a neat buffet, so make sure you have extras to replenish trays (I usually have extra desserts already trayed up, I just swap them out with depleted ones from the buffet and then clean and refresh the depleted tray back in the kitchen) and do things like remove abandoned napkins and cups from the buffet table. I think of buffet presentation as a point of pride when I cater, and I don't like it when buffets get messy or empty--I feel it reflects poorly on my business and my reputation.

Thanks for the helpful info. In other words....a lot of work! I think I'd rather step into it a little more slowly and try and find out what is available in the area and how the other caterers handle it. I look forward to seeing how the 200 person buffet goes. I absolutely cannot imagine baking for 1000! :shock: Maybe someday!

Cheryl Brown

Dragonfly Desserts

We've done dessert for over 1000 a few times - with only 2 of us doing the baking. It really does depend on what kind of desserts you're talking about. There are things you can do to make it easier on yourself - being one with your freezer is a good start. And a lot of planning.

Good luck with the 200 (we love pictures - hint)!

I do charity events all the time ranging from 375-1500, yes the rule is 2.5 pieces per person. At these events, sometimes I will be the only dessert provider and at others there are a few. The symbiotic relationship with your freezer is key. I only do mini desserts, with some items finished and plated at the event (have a little show or gimic) I always torch something. People love the smell, you get lots of oohs and aahs. If you go on my website (www.sweetkarmadesserts.com) you will be able to see some examples.

Some of the items I make:

tartlettes: blueberry, mixed fruit, choclate...

choux puffs filled with dulche de leche cream

chocolate truffle lollipops

hand rolled truffles

and a large assortment of mini mousse style desserts-domes, boats, etc...

I use the rapid molds-96 minis to a tray

Absolutely staff up. When we do the big events its 4 of us. 3 people filling the tray stands and refilling the platters, me doing the showy stuff and talking to the people. Remember to sell yourself and promote while you are there, these are all potential customers.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I do charity events all the time ranging from 375-1500, yes the rule is 2.5 pieces per person. At these events, sometimes I will be the only dessert provider and at others there are a few. The symbiotic relationship with your freezer is key. I only do mini desserts, with some items finished and plated at the event (have a little show or gimic) I always torch something. People love the smell, you get lots of oohs and aahs. If you go on my website (www.sweetkarmadesserts.com) you will be able to see some examples.

hand rolled truffles

Absolutely staff up. When we do the big events its 4 of us. 3 people filling the tray stands and refilling the platters, me doing the showy stuff and talking to the people. Remember to sell yourself and promote while you are there, these are all potential customers.

What a great site Brian!! I hadn't checked it out for quite awhile. I so wish I lived even within an hour of your shop. What a great selection!!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

thanks so much. My friend has been working really hard on it for the last few weeks. He isnt a web designer so he is learning as he goes

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

hand rolled truffles

What a great site Brian!! I hadn't checked it out for quite awhile. I so wish I lived even within an hour of your shop. What a great selection!!

What are chocolate truffle lollipops? They sound fun and delicious. Also...would you be willing to share any info ont he mini mousse desserts. I don't have a large repertoire of dessert experience and I've never made any before.

Thanks!

Cheryl Brown

Dragonfly Desserts

• 7 months later...

Hi....I've been doing more and more minis and getting better and better :smile: . I thought I'd post some pics for your review. I've never been to or seen a professional dessert buffet. I would love your honest critiques.

This one is RLB Chocolate Oblivian Truffle Torte with chocolate hearts. I cut them in circles...I like to mess with shapes...messy and a lot of waste!

gallery_32430_2028_220000.jpg

4" pecan tartlets before I cut them.

gallery_32430_2028_146945.jpg

Sampler Platter...the chocolate wedge is how I usually present the Chocolate Oblivian...I use a 6" pan and cut into 18 wedges...no waste and much faster.

gallery_32430_2028_16950.jpg

Turtle Cheesecake bites...actually the size is a little more generous than I wanted them to be but the freezer method worked great!

gallery_32430_2028_54052.jpg

Mini tartlets with pastry cream....what do you think about the size and shapes? It was quite time consuming. Is that what most of you do?

gallery_32430_2028_13082.jpg

Do you usually put a doilie or paper cup under each item or select items....right now I just box them and use a doilie under the Chocolate Oblivian.

Thanks for looking!

Cheryl Brown

Dragonfly Desserts

Cheryl,

I use petit four cups for each mini. Dont forget about: mini eclairs, cream puffs (a million different fillings can be used), mini cannolis. We use small silicon dome molds, pipe mousse in them then place a disk of cake or a baked cookie in and then freeze overnite. They can then be unmolded-glazed with ganache, white chocolate glaze (that can be tinted to match the mousse inside) or even sprayed with chocolate spray to give it a velvet appearance.

hope this helps

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Cheryl,

I use petit four cups for each mini. Dont forget about: mini eclairs, cream puffs (a million different fillings can be used), mini cannolis. We use small silicon dome molds, pipe mousse in them then place a disk of cake or a baked cookie in and then freeze overnite. They can then be unmolded-glazed with ganache, white chocolate glaze (that can be tinted to match the mousse inside) or even sprayed with chocolate spray to give it a velvet appearance.

hope this helps

Thank you for your input. I need to remember to go and look at your sight more often for inspiration! Awesome work! I don't know if you do this type of thing, but do you charge a different pricing for just boxing up desserts or traying them or maybe just a tray rental charge? I'm going to be trying the mousse thing ASAP. Are all molds created equal are do you recommend a certain brand... they are quite pricy!

Cheryl Brown

Dragonfly Desserts

Brian, I was just looking at your website. Can you please tell me what size and type of mold you use for your individual cheesecakes? I have an order for 60 coming up and I haven't done them individual for an order before. I have the mini-cheesecake pans but I can't imagine that's what you use.

Cheryl,

hope this helps

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Cheryl, thanks for posting the pics. You're doing a great job! I love doing mini's and after my maternity leave is over I hope to be doing more. I especially love your Turtle Cheesecake bites. They look fantastic! I was wondering if the fresh fruit tarts would look better with a whole raspberry or 3 blueberries. I know a whole strawberry would be too big but the pieces aren't quite as attractive. I'm certain they still taste amazing though. I'd love to see more pictures of what you're doing.

Cheryl, thanks for posting the pics. You're doing a great job! I love doing mini's and after my maternity leave is over I hope to be doing more. I especially love your Turtle Cheesecake bites. They look fantastic! I was wondering if the fresh fruit tarts would look better with a whole raspberry or 3 blueberries. I know a whole strawberry would be too big but the pieces aren't quite as attractive. I'm certain they still taste amazing though. I'd love to see more pictures of what you're doing.

Thanks for the tip! That is exactly the kind of stuff I want to hear. I am self taught so some times it takes me awhile....fortunately my customers are happy with what I do and I get better each time.

Cheryl

Cheryl Brown

Dragonfly Desserts

For color, and for the winter when strawberries are not so wonderful, don't forget about mandarin oranges. Readily available all year, looks colorful (especially with a kiwi and a raspberry or blueberry). Brush glaze over all for shine.

You're doing great! Congrats!!