• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tyler Florence succumbs

chappie

Short story: Arrived home late night from Guatemala, turned on TV briefly, checked Food Network and saw Tyler Florence waltzing through Applebees kitchens, touting his new menu of rosemary chickens, pasta and more chicken. And ... a burger!

Then he capped it off by dutifully reciting the slogan: "Eatin' Good in the Neighborhood."

Yeah. Wonder what that paycheck was...

Short story: Arrived home late night from Guatemala, turned on TV briefly, checked Food Network and saw Tyler Florence waltzing through Applebees kitchens, touting his new menu of rosemary chickens, pasta and more chicken. And ... a burger!

Then he capped it off by dutifully reciting the slogan: "Eatin' Good in the Neighborhood."

Yeah. Wonder what that paycheck was...

I never really thought much of him, but my wife liked him for a while a few years ago. She had fallen off his bandwagon and when she saw the Applebee's ads, she was pretty dissappointed.

I saw the commercial a week ago and was super sad. I used to really like him a few years ago but ever since he did that "how to boil water" show I just haven't been a fan......I can't believe he would do AppleBee's.....or maybe I can - I just hope the paycheck was huge cause he has lost all my interest and respect.

People who are too sophisticated to eat at Applebees probably didn't like Tyler Florence anyway.

Those who like him might enjoy Applebees?

He get paid lots of money.

No harm, no foul.

SB (never been to Applebees)

I was disappointed. I have really enjoyed his Food 911 and Tyler's Ultimate shows and have really liked every recipe of his that I have ever made (plus, he's so freakin' cute :wink: ). But I saw it coming when I noticed in the Sandra Lee cookbook that I got for my birthday (joke gift) had Tyler introducing and endorsing it and her :sad: .

Jeez, so he came up with some recipes for them, and shot a few commercials for them. Is it okay to be successful, but not okay to be commercial? I like Tyler Florence, but it's not going to make me more prone to walking into my nearest Applebee's and ordering Crispy Rosemary Chicken, or whatever the dish is. I don't go throwing out an album by a favorite music group because they license their song to a commercial, but it doesn't make me any more likely to buy that product, either -- unless it makes me look cool or allows me to drive faster.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Jeez, so he came up with some recipes for them, and shot a few commercials for them. Is it okay to be successful, but not okay to be commercial? I like Tyler Florence, but it's not going to make me more prone to walking into my nearest Applebee's and ordering Crispy Rosemary Chicken, or whatever the dish is. I don't go throwing out an album by a favorite music group because they license their song to a commercial, but it doesn't make me any more likely to buy that product, either -- unless it makes me look cool or allows me to drive faster.

Well, I guess it depends on whether you think food is art, or simply dinner. I used to be a huge Who fan, but since they've been whoring themselves out on the open market lately, they have less appeal to me. You have to have a little bit of pride in what you do, in my opinion.

Well, I guess it depends on whether you think food is art, or simply dinner. I used to be a huge Who fan, but since they've been whoring themselves out on the open market lately, they have less appeal to me. You have to have a little bit of pride in what you do, in my opinion.

Sometimes food is art, and sometimes food is food. And sometimes art is a photo of a crucifix submerged in urine or a model of the Statue of Liberty made out of gum wrappers. It's all relative. If you don't like it, fast forward over it and don't eat at Applebee's.

Sometimes I can't understand how people will debate the relative merits of mayo vs. Miracle Whip for 10 pages on this board, and then get outraged because some guy with a nice face who hosts a cooking show on TV tries to make some endorsement dollars off his name. The people he's pitching to are not going to be eating in your 3-star restaurants -- all they want is some mozzarella sticks, a 1/3 pound burger, and a margarita. They have chosen food, not art, and that is their choice to make.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes food is art, and sometimes food is food. And sometimes art is a photo of a crucifix submerged in urine or a model of the Statue of Liberty made out of gum wrappers. It's all relative. If you don't like it, fast forward over it and don't eat at Applebee's.

Sometimes I can't understand how people will debate the relative merits of mayo vs. Miracle Whip for 10 pages on this board, and then get outraged because some guy with a nice face who hosts a cooking show on TV tries to make some endorsement dollars off his name. The people he's pitching to are not going to be eating in your 3-star restaurants -- all they want is some mozzarella sticks, a 1/3 pound burger, and a margarita. They have chosen food, not art, and that is their choice to make.

Well, I've only been on this board a short period of time, and just shared my opinion on something and then got sniped at for it. They aren't MY three-star restaurants, and I don't deny anyone's right to eat wherever they want. I was just saying that, to me, it's sad, and I am less likely to listen to anything he has to say because of it.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to snipe -- I was just having a contrary opinion, what some would call a discussion or debate.

There's a press release available in the Applebee's media area. The gist of it:

"Being a chef on television for the last ten years has given me a lot of insight on the way America really likes to eat, and when Applebee’s invited me to be a part of the team, I jumped at the opportunity," said Florence. "Being a chef in New York City, to ask everyone to come to me sometimes is a bit limiting, but to actually bring my food to the American people – I’m really excited about it."

I wonder if the food is any good, or an improvement over Applebee's prior offerings.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I agree with the general disappointment, but to be honest Applebees is one of the least offensive “off-ramp” choices when interstate traveling. I usually go for a local joint if I can find one, but any port in a storm.......................

Maybe it's best understood when one realizes how lousy people get paid in this industry, for the most part.

This kind of stuff kind is the equivalent ( the press release part) of the person who says they're leaving their "" to spend more time with their family.

Even with the books I doubt TF was making HUGE bucks.

He will be now.

I mean, who in the hell IS he?

Besides a Food network star?.

Ditto half of the people on that (IMO) crap network.

2317/5000

at one point, he did do some consulting or was the chef at a restaurant named "cafeteria" in nyc. as a matter of fact, when i was in nyc last week, he was at the time warner center doing a book signing at williams sonoma...

but ted, you're right, other than that, who is he? i know he's a bit of a wanna-be (overheard a conversation he was having with his girlfriend after tom colicchio won best chef james beard award), so this is his way of making money because i honestly don't think he would survive opening a restaurant of his own.

i remember having a crush on him about 8 years ago...but when i met him, all of that melted away really quickly!

Where would sportsmen be today without endorsing assorted products? Don't hear too many people criticising them. But then I have no idea what Applebee's is. Can someone translate, please?

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

I haven't seen the ads if this is what people are reacting to, but is there any shame in working on the master recipes for a chain? A certain Apprentice comes to mind. Jacques Pepin developed Howard Johnsons recipes. People make career choices for many reasons. Did Tyler Florence show great promise for making a difference in America's state of the kitchen as a Food Network show host? Do you think that in working on the Applebee's account, he is betraying that promise? What about the other people who work at Applebees? No respect for them? This is a step in someone's career. I say wait and see what happens next. Life work can take turns in any direction.

There is probably no other chain of restaurants that has such range of quality as Applebee's. Most of it goes from mediocre to inedible. And it's not really cheap.

Surprisingly, the best fajitas I ever ate came from Applebee's. It would be nice if Tyler could raise the quality a bit, but I'm not changing my mind about never eating there again unless it's the only food between me and starvation.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

...But then I have no idea what Applebee's is. Can someone translate, please?

I've never been to Australia, so I don't know what to compare it to, but Applebee's is a fairly common sit-down restaurant chain here in the US. Do you have TGIF down under? It's kinda like that, except more family oriented, I guess.

Where would sportsmen be today without endorsing assorted products? Don't hear too many people criticising them. But then I have no idea what Applebee's is. Can someone translate, please?

Pat,

Applebee's theme is a family-style, sit down, "southern" home cooking ... similar menu to TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday, perhaps Chili's. It's 1-2 steps above McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, but it's not fine dining.

It benefits from (and suffers from) the advantages of a chain: relatively consistent ingredient quality and standardization of menu and food prep.

I know it because if I couldn't get my kids (now 14 and 16) to agree on a common cuisine (Chinese, Italian, Indian) and we had to have a meal, Applebee's gave me the option of taking them somewhere where they could choose something they'd eat and I could be reasonably sure it was a level above "fast food". At one point, my daughter was vegetarian while my son was a carnivore ... there were few compromize restaurants.

Re Tyler Florence, no he's not the world's greatest chef, and he does focus on the part of the food world that is just starting out or isn't very sophisticated as yet ... and if he can raise the consciousness of the American food consumer AND put some better food (either more sophisticated, or healthier, or both!) onto the Applebee's menu, then more power to him .... Applebee's, like most chains, has an executive chef responsible for their menu, and whoever that person is, was smart enough to recognize he/she could use some star power and (as in "Field of Dreams"), "if you build it [good food], they will come ..."

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Oh, yes. Got the picture, Jason, thanks. Remember those days well. Our sons are now in their 20s. They still like to come out for dinner with us, specially when Dad is paying. Just be grateful your kids are 12 years younger than my two and less expensive to feed. (And probably don't drink alcohol when they eat!)

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

So who's gonna "take one for the team" and go try one of his dishes?

If ya'll can wait until December, I'm sure my Dad will take me there over Christmas break. :raz:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Where would sportsmen be today without endorsing assorted products? Don't hear too many people criticising them.

A chef endorsing a restaurant is more like an athlete endorsing a piece of sporting equipment than it is like an athlete endorsing, say, a car. The difference is the presumed on-point expertise and experience.

Now, if an athlete endorses a great piece of sporting equipment -- for example if a runner endorses the sneakers he actually uses in competition -- there's nothing wrong with that. If the runner has consulted on the design of the sneaker and improved it, that's an even more meaningful endorsement. The problem arises, however, when that runner endorses crap sneakers he'd never wear, recommend or care about if he hadn't been paid a hefty sum for the endorsement. Worse, if he signs off on a product he doesn't believe in, allowing the company to portray him as a consultant when in fact he just hung around with the actual designers for an hour, he's a fraud.

It's the same in the case of a celebrity chef. If a chef thinks the Waring blender is a great product and does an ad for it, that's great. If a chef endorses awful food for money, that's a shame.

I have no idea what the situation is with Tyler Florence. Maybe he has improved the Applebee's menu. If so, what would be wrong with that? It's not as though he has a history of being anti-Applebee's the way Rick Bayless was with all his local-seasonal-organic talk before Burger King came along. In this case, I'd want to taste the food in question and understand its context a bit more before forming an opinion.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)