• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Piece of Meat?

Raw chicken tastes so good that you will want to undercook chicken for the rest of your life. In Japan the chicken tenderloin is often served just dipped in boiling water so that the outside turns white, this is a nice contrast to pink inside. I have prepared this kind of chicken at home but only with chicken that has been marked that is is safe for eating raw.

In Japan any meat or fish that is ok for eating raw will have a a label stating so.

Something tells me that most commercially processed chicken in the US is most definitely not safe for eating raw. Maybe Bell & Evans or other air-chilled brands -- maybe. But certainly not the big processors.

Your point about undercooking chicken, though, definitely applies to chicken breasts. Cook those thoroughly and nine times out of 10 they're dry, even if you marinated them before cooking. I find that I prefer my breasts slightly undercooked.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Being Filipino I would say:

1. Lechon (Filipino roasted pig) = oohh that crackling, crunchy skin

2. Porterhouse steak

3. T-Bone

4. Grilled chicken thighs

Darn, it's nearing midnight and stomach is growling...

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I'm out in Montana and have been really enjoying "beef loin flap meat steak" from Rosauer's here in town. I made a yum nua (Thai beef salad) the other day and am planning fajitas for tonight. Any other fans? Has anyone see this east of the Rockies? And does anyone know from where on the animal it hails?

Chris, "Cutting Up In The Kitchen" by Merle Ellis describes the flap as being part of the flank, which looks like it is under the loin as I look at the diagrams.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

perfectly roasted cabrito (baby goat) with Chimayo red chile colorado and home made tortillas

I love all types of meat ..but there is nothing at all on the planet you could get me to eat if that was offered as well ...I am completely undistractable when I have a plate of this in front of me

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Mmmmmmmm Marrow. Does that count as "meat"?

Hangar steak, just warm, red and juicy, sprinkling of sea salt and fresh ground pepper.....

Running to light the grill now, steak and eggs are calling my name!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!