• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Piece of Meat?

Lamb saddle.

You'd have to be pretty small to ride one of them... :biggrin:

Mmm, rabbit saddle with braised rabbit leg...thats a darn tasty combo

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Good topic for feeling hungry and

yes so many choices. And here are mine

not in order of preference since it

depends how I am hungering at the time.

Skirt steak cooked medium rare.

Whole duck with crispy skin.

Duck or goose foie gras

Pig tails. Maybe I should really say skin-on pork picnic, because pig tails are almost more of a guilty pleasure -- there's so little meat on them compared to the amount of fat and skin. But oh gosh, are they good. And I deeply miss skin-on cuts of pork right now, having only found one all summer in New Hampshire.

Runners-up: Skirt steak, which more than any other cut of beef I enjoy equally rare or braised till falling apart; duck leg (I like the breast, but to be honest I buy ducks for the legs and heart, and the breasts are an afterthought that I usually sear and slice up for sandwiches); pork jowls, whether smoked or not. Oh man oh man, pork jowls. And snoots! Ah geez. I'm going to go check the yellow pages for a butcher.

Definitely pork shoulder/butt (same thing right?). Yeah, it's kinda humble, but so versatile. Roasted (with skin, naturally), braised, shredded, smoked. MMMMMM. Of course, I'm interpreting the question as "if you could have only one cut of meat". If it was "a special occasion treat" favorite it would probably be something else, but I'm not sure what. Maybe prime rib. Perhaps I'm alone in this, though, but I get bored with tender cuts of meat.

Kee-ripes! I thought I had one picked until I started reading the posts! I don't know how to choose! Practically any pork part, at least the ones I've tried-- haven't had any 'snout to tail' experience. Beef-- I guess Porterhouse for a really high-end cut. I like having the two kinds of cuts in one steak. And another piece I recently tried that I really liked--- flat iron steak. My sister and I were going to have flank steak from WF, but it was more expensive than their Porterhouse! The flat iron was about $5.99 a pound. It looked kind of like flank so we got a piece, then checked Aliza Green's 'Field Guide to Meats' when we got home. Cooked it pink inside, sliced across the grain and it was really tasty! Nice, full beefy flavor, and a little chewy. Not a chewing forever kinda chewy, but a nice chew, if that makes any sense.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Decisions, decisions, decisions! In no particular order:

Braised short ribs

Braised lamb shanks

Grilled/broiled lamb rib chops

Braised then grilled lamb riblets (breast)

Slow roasted lamb shoulder

Slow roasted pork butt

Pork Belly

Beef navel (when prepared as pastrami)

Outer trim from beef prime rib roast

Pittsburgh rare hamburger (made from mix of 60% chuck, 20% short rib, 20% sirloin)

Braised veal breast

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I like a couple of cutlets off a rack of lamb, all pink and tender, or a juicy venison tenderloin steak. Kangaroo is good, properly cooked!

I also have a lingering fondness for beef olives. The Spouse would probably prefer I used the beef slices for Wiener Schnitzel.

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

Nose to tail pig, nose to tail lamb minus the skin and wool of course :biggrin: , venison, moose, any wild bird (goose, duck, partridge, etc), wild bunny, domestic goose and duck (especially frois gois and confit) and the tough cuts of organic beef and all the other animals I have yet to taste with the exception of rover the dog and fluffy the cat :laugh:

Has anyone eaten horse meat? If so what did it taste like and did you enjoy it?

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

What's your favorite piece/cut of meat?

Mine would be the outer layer on the top side of a piece of prime rib. Oooohhh man, that's soooo good. We rubbed prime ribs with a salt/pepper/etc. rub before cooking. When leftover prime ribs came back from the carving stations, I used to slice off and eat only that part.

According to Jeffrey Steingarten, the cut that you are describing is called "spinalis dorsi". This at least is what butchers would call it.

My Preference?

Dry aged 28 days 16 oz Rib steak, bone in. Either pan seared and basted with butter and its own juices or grilled until crusty on the outside and rare-medium-rare on the inside. With Bearnaise.

Pig, in any way, shape or form, except chitlins and kidneys. Beef, seared crusty brown on the outside and damn near raw on the inside, even quality hamburger. Roast lamb the way my Nana made it; chicken thighs sauted with nothing on them but the hot oil; cold left-over steak cooked very rare, sliced for lunch the next day. A beautiful sub made with extra rare roast beef, lettuce, tomatoes, lotsa onions, Provolone cheese, Balsamic vinegar and mayo (yes, dammit, Hellman's!) Can you tell I'm a meat junkie? :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Nose to tail pig, nose to tail lamb minus the skin and wool of course :biggrin: , venison, moose, any wild bird (goose, duck, partridge, etc), wild bunny, domestic goose and duck (especially frois gois and confit) and the tough cuts of organic beef and all the other animals I have yet to taste with the exception of rover the dog and fluffy the cat :laugh: 

I ate horse in Quebec and it was really fantastic. It was served in a peppercorn sauce. The meat was tender but had a bit of chew, and the connective tissue was surprisingly easy to eat. It wasn't a braised piece of meat, it was seared, so I was surprised that the connective stuff was so palatable.

I don't understand why people eat meat but get crazy about eating horse. What makes a cow any more "slaughterable" than a horse? I think they are both beautiful, tasty animals.

I ate horse in Quebec and it was really fantastic. It was served in a peppercorn sauce. The meat was tender but had a bit of chew, and the connective tissue was surprisingly easy to eat. It wasn't a braised piece of meat, it was seared, so I was surprised that the connective stuff was so palatable.

I don't understand why people eat meat but get crazy about eating horse. What makes a cow any more "slaughterable" than a horse? I think they are both beautiful, tasty animals.

How about dog?

How about dog?

Is your question an effort to trip up my logic? You expect me to say that I would never eat a dog since they are cute and cuddly, and that some people feel the same way about horses?

How about dog?

Is your question an effort to trip up my logic? You expect me to say that I would never eat a dog since they are cute and cuddly, and that some people feel the same way about horses?

Your logic about horses and cows seems like it can also be applied to dogs, so I'm wondering if you eat dog too.

ok - am i the only person whose mind went directly into the gutter - at first?!

ny strip

the beautiful rack of venison i have right now in the freezer

ground lamb burgers

filet wrapped in bacon

really good pulled pork with a vinegar sauce

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites