• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Piece of Meat?

Nose to tail pig, nose to tail lamb minus the skin and wool of course :biggrin: , venison, moose, any wild bird (goose, duck, partridge, etc), wild bunny, domestic goose and duck (especially frois gois and confit) and the tough cuts of organic beef and all the other animals I have yet to taste with the exception of rover the dog and fluffy the cat :laugh: 

Has anyone eaten horse meat? If so what did it taste like and did you enjoy it?

I ate horse in Quebec and it was really fantastic. It was served in a peppercorn sauce. The meat was tender but had a bit of chew, and the connective tissue was surprisingly easy to eat. It wasn't a braised piece of meat, it was seared, so I was surprised that the connective stuff was so palatable.

I don't understand why people eat meat but get crazy about eating horse. What makes a cow any more "slaughterable" than a horse? I think they are both beautiful, tasty animals.

How about dog?

Is your question an effort to trip up my logic? You expect me to say that I would never eat a dog since they are cute and cuddly, and that some people feel the same way about horses?

Your logic about horses and cows seems like it can also be applied to dogs, so I'm wondering if you eat dog too.

If dog were available and legal in the US, I would eat it. I just wouldn't eat MY dogs. :raz:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I love

PORK - belly (crispy), the bony spine (column in soups), pig ears, chitterlings, and the tail.

CHICKEN - the thighs and the butt.

BEEF - T-bone, tenderloin and FAT

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

A thick well-marbled Rib Eye - preferably dry-aged.

The lamb neck at Incanto

Pig Trotters

Liver and Onions and Eggs

Steal Tartar

and if only I can get my hands on a whole Jamon Iberico de Bellota!

Taco Truck or Per Se - No matter as long as passion drives the food

What's your favorite piece/cut of meat?

I'm funny in that when I hear "meat", I assume we're talking beef (I'm not being semantical, it's just an association I've always made). Sure, I love veal (chops especially) and pork (just about anything), but when you ask me about "meat", I hear "beef". And I'd have to answer: rib steaks, skirt steaks, and just about any steak cut that you can serve charred on the outside, rare on the inside, and with lots of fat. And I'm also very partial to a grilled piece of beef "flap meat". I don't let myself eat really fatty meat much any more, though. (I recently ate twice in one 'what-the-hell' week at an excellent rodizio/churrascaria on vacation, and man oh man, I was like a kid in a candy store!)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I would happily eat raw pork if I could find it. I have eaten raw chicken on numerous occasions including the liver, gizzards and brain (all raw).

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I would happily eat raw pork if I could find it. I have eaten raw chicken on numerous occasions including the liver, gizzards and brain (all raw).

Yikes! Aren't you concerned with trichinosis or salmonella? Or E. coli?

Not really, many years ago I decided to stop worrying about everything and just enjoy life. :biggrin:

Here are some pictures from eGullet Tokyo get together

The chicken sashimi platter, top left is chicken tenderloin, moving clockwise there is chicken gizzards, down in the right hand corner is chicken breast and finally the chicken liver

i8375.jpg

raw chicken brains with in 4 flavors

i8424.jpg

Not really, many years ago I decided to stop worrying about everything and just enjoy life. :biggrin:

The chicken sashimi platter, top left is chicken tenderloin, moving clockwise there is chicken gizzards, down in the right hand corner is chicken breast and finally the chicken liver

i8375.jpg

raw chicken brains with in 4 flavors

i8424.jpg

You are my hero. More gastronomic bravery than I can summon, but that stuff actually looks kinda good.

:biggrin:

Wow, that kind of blows my mind! Us Americans are terrified of raw chicken.

What does raw chicken taste like? I have to admit, it doesn't seem appealing.

And I too don't think I could summon the fortitude to try raw chicken. :shock:

Sweetbreads, soaked in buttermilk and fresh sage, then poached, pressed, dredged in flour and pan fried in clarified butter. Tastes like KFC WISHES it could taste.

Roast duck oysters. My prep cooks would save them all for me on duck roasting day, I'd come in to work and there would be a little pile of them on my station, just waiting for me. Wrap in a tortilla with a little fresh cilantro and a squeeze of siracha. Now that's how you start a shift!

And raw ribeye, thinly sliced, with sea salt and tabasco. I'd always have a little snack when I was cutting steaks, the latinos all thought I was crazy. The would all sit and watch me, shaking their heads.

I'm amazed to not see certain chefs on this list. :huh: A couple of them would be boeuf, I suppose.

The link a few posts ago made me wonder if she was really wearing a flank steak dress, if she was extremely small or the cow was really big, or if it was Photoshopped in.

Yeah, I'm overthinking this.

Beef: Short ribs

Lamb: shoulder, braised

Chicken: Breast, skin-on, with lots of good stuff under the skin and the skin really crispy.

Pork: Roast, cooked until it falls off the bone.

Duck: all of it.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Wow, that kind of blows my mind! Us Americans are terrified of raw chicken.

What does raw chicken taste like? I have to admit, it doesn't seem appealing.

Not all of us Americans, the entire group of us at that meal were American and Canadian...

Raw chicken tastes so good that you will want to undercook chicken for the rest of your life. In Japan the chicken tenderloin is often served just dipped in boiling water so that the outside turns white, this is a nice contrast to pink inside. I have prepared this kind of chicken at home but only with chicken that has been marked that is is safe for eating raw.

In Japan any meat or fish that is ok for eating raw will have a a label stating so.

i must say that my favorite is the over looked hangar steak - they didnt call it the "butchers cut" for nothing. grilled on cooked on the stove top, it is one of the most flavorful pieces of meat out there.

also, beef cheeks, when braised to perfection, are my other favorite!

brendan jackson

www.codcheeks.com

• 8 months later...
I'm funny in that when I hear "meat", I assume we're talking beef (I'm not being semantical, it's just an association I've always made).  [snip] And I'd have to answer: rib steaks, skirt steaks, and just about any steak cut that you can serve charred on the outside, rare on the inside, and with lots of fat.  And I'm also very partial to a grilled piece of beef "flap meat". 

I'm out in Montana and have been really enjoying "beef loin flap meat steak" from Rosauer's here in town. I made a yum nua (Thai beef salad) the other day and am planning fajitas for tonight. Any other fans? Has anyone see this east of the Rockies? And does anyone know from where on the animal it hails?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts