• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Piece of Meat?

What's your favorite piece/cut of meat?

Mine would be the outer layer on the top side of a piece of prime rib. Oooohhh man, that's soooo good. We rubbed prime ribs with a salt/pepper/etc. rub before cooking. When leftover prime ribs came back from the carving stations, I used to slice off and eat only that part. I think the inner part of prime rib is kind of nasty -- flavorless and rubbery and usually too rare.

I also think T-bone steaks are pretty good. Ribeyes too I think (been a long time).

As for filet mignons, I think they're overrated -- they're really tender, but don't have much flavor at all.

update - Oh, flank steak is pretty good too. :smile:

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

Depends on the mood, the season, the quality etc. etc. I can go totally nuts over a grilled medium-rare lamb chop, a really rare rib steak, a piece of juicy, fatty pork, a hunk of calves liver cooked just until pink, spare ribs dripping with juicy goodness, duck breast seared to perfection, duck legs braised until they melt. And that's just the beginning. :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Depends on the mood, the season, the quality etc. etc.  I can go totally nuts over a grilled medium-rare lamb chop, a really rare rib steak, a piece of juicy, fatty pork, a hunk of calves liver cooked just until pink, spare ribs dripping with juicy goodness, duck breast seared to perfection, duck legs braised until they melt.  And that's just the beginning.  :laugh:

oh my god, how can you choose between so many tasty options??? i would have to add crispy braised pork belly, and i would confit my duck legs, but i'm not that picky

Prime rib is my first choice, closely followed by rib eye steaks. Then Roast pork with lovely cracklin's.

Then there are lovely braises, and ribs, and smoked pork shoulders. Really, how can a carnivore choose between meats? :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

So may choices, indeed....but...hands down, the FAVORITE

Bone in rib eye (double thick cut please)

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

NY strip steak. Not that I dislike other meats, or other cuts of beef, and not that I will always buy it preferentially, but there's something about the texture and flavor of a nice medium rare NY strip that will grab me every time.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

So may choices, indeed....but...hands down, the FAVORITE

Bone in rib eye (double thick cut please)

put into a smoking hot cast iron dutch oven, seared, drop in a sliced onion and pop into a preheated oven till 125 degrees

whats everyone else eating?

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

-The "oyster" of a roasted chicken. Especially when it's wrapped in a crispy bit of chicken skin.

-An unctuous piece of braised beef short rib- where the connective tissue has almost completely melted away into a full-bodied sauce

-Pink, almost rare spice-rubbed flank steak or skirt steak

johnsmith, you're not alone. I've yet to taste foie gras, too...but with so many other choices around, it's hard to say that I miss what I haven't known.

You all are all killing me here! :smile:

I agree with the NY strip person, for I feel that its has some of the good qualities of all of the other steaks. But I also love duck breast, and ribs, and braised pork that falls off the bone as in a good cassoulet..........................

Edited by menon1971 (log)

The one that I've succeeded in getting a vegetarian to try. :laugh:

Personally, anything's good and I have tried anything and everything that is legal to sell or hunt in Canada (I skip the nervous tissue though - it's not the BSE, it's an EAE thing). There really is however, too many things to choose from. Moose, ox tail, poulet de Bresse, geese, sheep sweetbreads, pata negra jamón Iberico…

I'll say it: goose and duck foie gras

What's your favorite piece/cut of meat?

Mine would be the outer layer on the top side of a piece of prime rib. Oooohhh man, that's soooo good. We rubbed prime ribs with a salt/pepper/etc. rub before cooking. When leftover prime ribs came back from the carving stations, I used to slice off and eat only that part. I think the inner part of prime rib is kind of nasty -- flavorless and rubbery and usually too rare.

I also think T-bone steaks are pretty good. Ribeyes too I think (been a long time).

As for filet mignons, I think they're overrated -- they're really tender, but don't have much flavor at all.

update - Oh, flank steak is pretty good too.  :smile:

I believe that cut of beef is called the "deckle". Whatever it's called, it sure is tasty.

My favorite steak is the NY Strip. My favorite meat in the whole world is an elk rib chop., medium rare.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

if it's organic beef then it's got to be tenderloin. a 'butter tender' cut of meat.

deer, kanguroo, ostrich, bison, venison, elk/moose and so on....

lamb: the saddle with bone. or leg.

hog: only if they're organic, tenderloin. otherwise just about any Portuguese or Spanish pork products at the sourse.

if it's baby alpaca any tender cut is succulent.

Wow, this is hard..

1. Rare Prime Rib

2. Porterhouse

3. Smoked Pork Butt

4. Stew Beef and about a Billion Onions, Pressure cooked then simmered for a couple of hours and ladeled over rice

Ever since I had pork belly for the first time in Cleveland at The Leopard, it's hard to top. I still dream about it. Wish more (or even one that I know of) restaurants in Columbus would serve pork belly.

Lamb chops done correctly are pretty hard to beat as well.

If it is me doing the cooking, I love braised short ribs or a bloody, rare organic, well-marbled steak.

Oh, I almost forgot how much I love duck breast, still havn't had duck leg confit yet...

Wait, favorite implies only one, so if I could only have one piece of meat for the rest of my life, his name would be...just kidding, it would be the pork belly.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

Hanger or flatiron - only from grass-fed, sustainably-raised, no hormone or antibiotic beef.

Other than that, I am a huge fan of rabbit, as well as duck -

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com