• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raspberry parfait thingy I made

JLam

On my honeymoon in Jamaica I was served a tomato soup topped with a couple of dollops of plain yogurt that had been mixed with lime juice. It was great.

I figured I could work that into a dessert somehow, and this is what I came up with.

I got a small container of plain yogurt and mixed it with the juice of 1 lime and a bit of sugar. I served it with raspberries, parfait-style, in sugar rimmed martini glasses. I was going to top it with some simple caramelized sugar, but I turned my back on the sugar for too long and ended up with blackjack (bitter, burned sugar.) So I scrapped that idea...but the result was really good nonetheless. I really liked the yogurt with the sugar and lime, and it went so well with the raspberries.

Anyone ever tried anything similar?

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org

Sounds like a very nice combination; thanks for sharing it.

It is a bit different, but when I saw the title of your thread I thought of Scottish cranachan. One common variation is to fold toasted oatmeal into cream that has been whipped and flavored with Drambuie or a mixture of honey and whiskey. This is served as a parfait with rapsberries. (Sometimes the toasted oatmeal is sprinkled on top rather than folded into the cream.)

(I like the lime/yogurt idea with the tomato soup as well...)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Budino di ricotta is similar, too, but not quite as simple (nor quite as light :biggrin: ). The flavors of the base can be altered with citrus zest, or rum, and sometimes bits of chocolate or almonds. . .

P.S. :laugh: I just googled some recipes for this and find that most have eggs added and are cooked. In the recipe I've used for many years there are no eggs and the "pudding" is uncooked. But I must say some of the pages translated by google from Italian into English are absolutely hilarious. :laugh:Translation, budino di ricotta

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Oh, CT!! that just made my morning!! :laugh:

I've been just rolling, reading that site---and I even thought I'd found the "cookie crumbs" I mentioned, mistakenly translating "pezzetti" as "pizzelle"---then traced that one to a recipe for a horsemeat ragout!!

And where've you BEEN!!!!??? I've missed your lively voice the past while. Good to hear from you.

And MAJOR cravings for this berry parfait---I just drip-chilled a box of plain old Dannon to make a little round cheese---I've only salted it a bit, so I think I'll see if that goes with some blueberries---we'll see. It's still soft enough to stir in the lime.