• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for this weekend!

LEdlund

A group of us Eger's are coming up this weekend to have burgers at Feenie's on Saturday night (yes - we are crazy like that!)

I'm looking for suggestions for the best place for a group to have lunch on Saturday, drinks after burgers (I don't suppose you have anything like Zig Zag in Vancouver?) and dim sum on Sunday.

Any suggestions?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I think there are 12 or so of us coming and I believe most of us are staying at downtown hotels. Some will have cars and some are taking the train so we'll have transportation.

On our list for lunch on Saturday is Mistral, Ocean 6 Seventeen and Phnom Pehn.

We're narrowing dim sum to either Sun Sui Wah or Kirin Cambie.

But I'm stumped for someplace to go for drinks late on Saturday. I'm guessing we'd be getting somewhere around 11 PM. The only two places that I know of for cocktails are Delilah's and Lickerish and I have a feeling that Lickerish is no longer there. Seattle is a notorious for places closing early. Please don't tell me Vancouver is the same :sad:

I guess we can't convince you to do dim sum in Richmond, eh? :wink: In that case, I'd go for Kirin on Cambie or Red Star on Granville and W. 67th Ave. Red Star doesn't get much mention on our forum, but I think the quality and variety of dim sum are quite good. Make sure you get the roast duck and/or soya-sauce chicken.

If you are okay with very basic surroundings - I think Phnom Pehn would be a really new and tasty experience.

For dimsum - I think that Kirin quality is much better - but Sun Sui Wah does the dim sum trolley thing which really helps with ordering and helps add to the surprise of what you are eating.

In terms of drinks - I may not be much help - but you may want to also consider Nu or the Bacchus Lounge at the Wedgewood Hotel.

Of the three places you've narrowed down for lunch, I like Phnom Penh best. I don't particularly care for the Cambodian-style pho dishes, but I love the rare beef with green peppers and anchovy, the butter beef, the fried squid, and the fried chicken wings. I think these are probably the most popular dishes--you'll probably notice that almost every table in the restaurant will have at least two of these dishes.

Dinner at Feenie's is going to be a bit late (8:45pm). Have you considered having a pre-dinner drink somewhere?

I guess we can't convince you to do dim sum in Richmond, eh?  :wink:  In that case, I'd go for Kirin on Cambie or Red Star on Granville and W. 67th Ave.  Red Star doesn't get much mention on our forum, but I think the quality and variety of dim sum are quite good.  Make sure you get the roast duck and/or soya-sauce chicken.

Since we're in town for less than 24 hours and have quite the list of places to go (shopping-wise in addition to food-wise) we decided to stick to Vancouver. Next time it will be Richmond for sure!

So is Red Star have cart or menu service?

If you are having a late dinner - maybe check out Salt. You can keep the food choices fairly light and have some beer and wine. I know my praise of the place borders on psychotic fanboy - but I think you would enjoy it. Getting there earlish - ensures that you will get good seating (reservations are a possibility I think) and since you are leaving for dinner @ ~ 8:45 - you are out of there before the noise level reaches a cresendo.

Enjoy the burgers @ Feenies - I personally think that they are the best (certainly top 5). Ask for med-rare - otherwise they arrive pretty well cooked through.

In your original post you had inquired about Burgers and then Drinks after. I would throw my hat in the ring for Browns on Mainland street, close to Davie in Yaletown. They have a very good Double Double burger as well as a full bar. Plus other good drinking establishments are very close by. Lickerish is still open up the street on Davie if you liked that place, or there is George, Opus, Afterglow, etc all within stumbling distances.

I agree with Canucklehead regarding Kirin, fantastic food and prob the best Chinese cuisine DT.

In terms of drinks - I may not be much help - but you may want to also consider Nu or the Bacchus Lounge at the Wedgewood Hotel.

Both of these look good. In checking out the web sites, it looks like Nu, C and Rain City Grill are all part of the same restaurant group. Is that correct? Do you think we'll have a problem if we don't get there until 11 PM?

There are a few of us in this group that are quite enamored with good cocktails (and at least one who is proficient in making them for us!) None of these web sites talk a lot about the food and wines offered but don't mention anything about the cocktails. Is there any place that might me more "cocktail forward" (if that makes sense)?

Nu is open till 1am and serves drinks and food right up to closing. If I remember correctly - they had a good drinks selection. If you are looking for more leading edge cocktails - I am not sure what they have. It may be worth contacting them to see.

Caveat - some people absolutely hate the seats - nice looking though they are.

George is a good call - but it can be very busy and velvet rope.

George in Yaletown; Lolita's in the West End.

George seems more like what I was thinking of. The velvet rope comment scares me though.

The only Lolita's I found was Lolita's South of the Border Cantina. Is that the same one you mean?

Our burger location is set in stone (we do this often and the location is chosen about a month in advance) but I'll remember Browns for another visit.

Opus sounds interesting (they actually mention that they have innovative cocktails on their website). Have you been?

In your original post you had inquired about Burgers and then Drinks after.  I would throw my hat in the ring for Browns on Mainland street, close to Davie in Yaletown.  They have a very good Double Double burger as well as a full bar.  Plus other good drinking establishments are very close by.  Lickerish is still open up the street on Davie if you liked that place, or there is George, Opus, Afterglow, etc all within stumbling distances.

I agree with Canucklehead regarding Kirin, fantastic food and prob the best Chinese cuisine DT.

In addition, where would you go for late night eats? I define late night as between 12AM and 4AM, btw. Does anyone know if the Town Pants are playing anywhere Saturday night? I'm also looking for ramen suggestions near Robson, Kintaro is on my radar already. Thanks much guys.

Rocky

In addition, where would you go for late night eats?  I define late night as between 12AM and 4AM, btw.  Does anyone know if the Town Pants are playing anywhere Saturday night?  I'm also looking for ramen suggestions near Robson, Kintaro is on my radar already.  Thanks much guys.

Rocky

For downtown - the Korean places on Robson (Norboo, Jang Mo Jib) are all open super late. Not sure why this is the case - lot's of students perhaps. They may also be able to satisfy your noodle craving.

As for non-asian places - I am not sure.

Okay - I am telling you - stay away from Hon's - you will be tempted (full of people, lot's of chinese people working there...) don't do it.

George in Yaletown; Lolita's in the West End.

George seems more like what I was thinking of. The velvet rope comment scares me though.

The only Lolita's I found was Lolita's South of the Border Cantina. Is that the same one you mean?

I think so, yes, they are on Davie. I haven't been, but people have said lots of good things about their cocktails. There are some rather cocktaily places on Granville St I believe but I wouldn't know which to recommend, and they are likely to be pretty jammed up on a Saturday.

I think George is probably what you are looking for, drinks-wise, or the bar at Glowbal, Afterglow. Since you will be such a large party, you may be able to make a reservation at one of these to ensure a table? I'm sorry but I'm not sure.

Nu definitely has a decent cocktail list, and the view is nice even in the dark.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

In addition, where would you go for late night eats?  I define late night as between 12AM and 4AM, btw.

Rocky, you already know what my suggestions are in response to LEdlund's original list of queries, but will add that Gyoza King and Jang Mo Jib (both on Robson Street) are my picks for late-night eats in the downtown core. If you're struck by an after-hours craving for dim sum, hit Shanghai Bistro on Alberni Street for spicy wontons and mango pudding. There's also Brix in Yaletown, and this thread on Vancouver Late Night Eats also offers a whole whack of ideas.

Happy eating! :cool:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I'm interested in checking out George, if possible. If we went before dinner, say around 7pm, would it be less busy? I've walked by George around 11pm-12am many times, and the room is always packed with a line out the door.

Oh... I guess Salt is out :laugh:

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Lorna what is this midnight stuff? That's a bit early isn't it? :biggrin: If I remember right, I hit a bunch of the places on Granville the last time I was in Van and I liked some of them but they were all pretty packed.

Rocky