• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish Wines

KarlK

Hi folks,

Need a little help here. I am looking for any RED Canary Island wine, preferably from the largest of the Canary Islands: Tenerife.

I hoping one of these is available in the States. Is there a "Tenerife" wine available in the states?

Thanks,

KarlK

My initial reaction is that you are going to be hard pressed to find one, unfortunately. Canary Island wines are not easy to find outside of the Canary Islands (not even mainland Spain), let alone the U.S. I can't think of a place off the top of my head, but if I come up with something, I'll update you.

As for a red wine, that makes it even tougher, since the Canary Islands tend to distinguish themselves for their white white (both dry and sweet). Your best bet will probably come from a region in the north of Tenerife called D.O. Tacoronte-Acentejo, which specializes in reds made from a grape called Listán Negro (often blended with another called Negramoll).

I'll keep an eye out.

Edited by Brian Murdock (log)

Brian Murdock

Madrid, Spain

Teacher/writer

www.murdockmedia.com

Still haven't come up with anything reliable, so my next suggestion is that you try contacting two of the most important wineries there. They have some of the greatest presence outside of the Canaries, which isn't saying much, but they may be your best bet, if at all.

One is Bodegas Insulares:

Bodegas Insulares de Tenerife

or

Bodegas Monje

Good luck!

Brian Murdock

Madrid, Spain

Teacher/writer

www.murdockmedia.com