• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I won a date with Tony Bourdain

--And Grill Bitch...is quite a good looking woman. I guess with a name like that I was thinking Margaret Thatcher meets Janet Reno, but I'm impressed. --

As a classmate of hers at CIA way back when, I can attest that she looks fabulous, not a whole lot has changed. I always liked Beth, she was tough but funny and a good study group partner (those endless 3x5 cards). Glad to see she's doing well for herself.

--And Grill Bitch...is quite a good looking woman. I guess with a name like that I was thinking Margaret Thatcher meets Janet Reno, but I'm impressed. --

As a classmate of hers at CIA way back when, I can attest that she looks fabulous, not a whole lot has changed.  I always liked Beth, she was tough but funny and a good study group partner (those endless 3x5 cards).  Glad to see she's doing well for herself.

And, despite her self-identifying moniker, in no way a b____. Actually, a very warm, ebuillient lady with a really good sense of humor - despite the fact she was dissed by Rachael Ray. But I know she can be tough in defense of her boss when she has to. I've enjoyed chatting with her the last few times I've seen her. Man, I wish I could get my pix to upload correctly:

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/11605766...3716_148481.jpg

Edited by Claudia Greco (log)

DAMN ITTT!!, I just bought 130 bucks of chocolate, ready to do the Holidays, and now I'm thinking of Les Halles, Can you people get with the program?

I am still waiting for an e-gullett challange to Tony's 'tripes "les halles'''

where he promises, with pictures sent to him..a personal letter of commendation and devotion.

I'm still trying to talk some of my cajun friends into this, but a letter just aint enough...for me, but hell...I'm trying to get them to do the work, so it's fair..

Edited by highchef (log)

Claudia..what did Rachel Ray say about her?

RR did not SAY anything. Beth told me that the daughter of Tony's literary agent (or maybe it was his book editor), who is just a young girl, asked Beth to get RR's autograph at an event at which both Tony and RR were appearing. Beth waited forever on line, only to be told by RR's people that, "Miss Ray is signing no more books." Beth said she was really annoyed because, unlike RR, HER boss autographs every last item, until the last fan is done (which, having seen him in action numerous times, I can certainly attest to.) Apparently, when RR's handlers found out that Beth was Tony's assistant, they came running after her, and then told her, basically, OF COURSE Ms. Ray would sign the book for her. To her credit, Beth turned them down and walked away. She never "pulls rank" or expects special privileges working for Tony, and she seemed to feel that if standing in line as anonymous "fan" didn't merit an autograph, then being a "connected" one didn't, either. While in all fairness to RR it might have been her "people" shutting the line down, not RR herself, the fact is, it was a big media event in which food celebs were, naturally, expected to "sign the line" - not a smaller, exclusive foodie event in which chefs would naturally expect to have more schmoozy/mingling time with their confreres.

But I reminded Beth that, unlike RR, she, Grillbitch, can actually cook. And I hoped her "TIP, bitch!" T-shirt cheered her up somewhat. Beth threatened to wear hers at the next big foodie event (in Miami?), at which RR would also be appearing, and hoped that Tony might wear his, too. Here is the shirt:

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/11628641..._3853_53733.jpg

So, let's hear it for Ms. Aretsky. Obviously a take-no-s___t woman of integrity. And who has her own stunning "Cook Free or Die" to-die-for T-shirt, I might add.

:cool:

Alright now. You all need to go and get your own topic. If this keeps up I am going to hold my "Les Halles" book over an open flame on my Vulcan and really get nasty. You've been warned :hmmm:

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

Alright now.  You all need to go and get your own topic.  If this keeps up I am going to hold my "Les Halles" book over an open flame on my Vulcan and really get nasty.  You've been warned :hmmm:

Ahh, but as the picture clearly shows, I WAS on a "date" with Tony Bourdain! I AM "on-topic"! (HEHEHEHEHEHEH!) :raz:

Claudia..thanks for the story, and that TIP, bitch shirt is insanely cool.  You could make a mint selling those things.

Thanks, Joisey - I only had two made (I don't even own one), because I don't own the picture . . . and I don't need to get into a legal fight over licensing and copyrights!

But your good friend Beth is thinking about developing the "Cook Free or Die" Ts and her own website, which would be a monster hit - and those Ts would certainly disseminate AB's philosophy, without going into merchandising/marketing per se. (No Chef Tony bobbleheads (per Cook's Tour) - and it so AIN'T Suntory time yet, apparently!)

Oh, man - I saw a Mario Batali bobblehead the other day in a catalog. His new Italian Kitchen line I have no problem with, but I'm still cracking up over the Bobblehead. And I'm waiting for someone to come out with the Orange Chef Clogs. By Birkenstock? The mind boggles . . .!

OK,Cynical Chef - NOW I'm off-topic! :biggrin:

Claudia..thanks for the story, and that TIP, bitch shirt is insanely cool.  You could make a mint selling those things.

Thanks, Joisey - I only had two made (I don't even own one), because I don't own the picture . . . and I don't need to get into a legal fight over licensing and copyrights!

What if you had them made with an RR charicature? Because seriously? We, the people of this great land, NEED those shirts.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I warned you all to get your own topic! You have left me no choice.....

gallery_16763_3695_378659.jpg

Now I really do have the greasiest, crispiest, most Chef-damaged copy of Les Halles.

gallery_16763_3695_353498.jpg

Take that Tony!

That will teach you to question the cleanliness of my cookbooks.

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

I warned you all to get your own topic!  You have left me no choice.....

gallery_16763_3695_378659.jpg

Now I really do have the greasiest, crispiest, most Chef-damaged copy of Les Halles. 

gallery_16763_3695_353498.jpg

Take that Tony!

That will teach you to question the cleanliness of my cookbooks.

Did he question the cleanliness of your cookbooks, or their crispiness? (!!) You were in danger of developing the same close, personal and intense relationship with your Fry-o-lator as Adam-Last-Name-Unknown had with The Bitch - you might need an intervention, CC! :biggrin: Edited by Claudia Greco (log)